The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

The end is near... :-)

SIL and her Hubby will be moving out the end of this month! AND...family relations are still great.

We had the nephew come stay with us for 2+ weeks over xmas/newyear. This is the only son of the oldest brother who passed away 10 years ago. This nephew is 'special' to all the family as he is their only link with their son/brother. However, no one except hubby and I have ever tried to keep in constant contact with him...

Anyhow, while he visited things were a bit tense with SIL/BIL. Hubby and I took the nephew out to dinner three times while he was here, each time on a night when SIL/BIL were working late, or into early evening.

The night before nephew was to leave to Ft Riley, he took us (me and hubby) to dinner as a thank you for having him so long... When we returned (after 7:45pm, went to dinner @ 6pm, she worked until 7pm), SIL was in the kitchen with the poor-me face and sadly asked if we had gone to dinner, which we replied in the affirmative. She commented: "I'd have liked to have gone to dinner with you (nephew) while you were here." and then walked down the hallway to enclose herself in the bedroom.
Oh, boo-hoo.

The next night, hubby and I had a sit-down discussion with them. I didn't get all snarky like I wanted to...instead, I took a higher road to preserve family relations (which I feel is VERY important) and kept things calm and I even apologized for some things I felt I had done that may have bothered them.
When we got around to discussing the out-to-dinner-w/nephew item...I didn't have to say a THING! ...Hubby backed me up against his sister! He told her that the three times we went to dinner with nephew were ALL on nights they were working, that they were also nights I didn't want to cook and that the nephew was here for 2+ weeks and he is certain that in that amount of time, surely she had several days/evenings when SHE could have invited nephew out for one-on-one time?...
Yea, Hubby! <dances ecstatically like Steve Martin with arms waving overhead>
We also went on to discuss how she didn't like us leaving them notes. Hubby and I are on very different schedules, he gets up and goes to sleep early, I stay up and get up late. (I'm still on CA time, after 6 years...) We leave notes for each other all the time, but it bothered them.
SINCE THEN, SIL and I have grown closer; we talk almost every day, they don't 'hideout' in their bedroom and they have become more sociable. Gosh, I wish we'd had this talk months ago...

I'll miss them when they move out...but I want to be able to run around my house nuddi-kazoodi whenever I want...
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

but I want to be able to run around my house nuddi-kazoodi whenever I want...

PICS ????
Old 02-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

What a relief! Maybe they spent all that time in the bedroom being nuddi-kazoodi themselves.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ah crap, I was so looking forward to you telling how you leaped across the table, seizing SIL by the throat and .... well...you know.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

great story HH
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Well done Hoof!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Glad to hear, Hoof.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
freshnesschronic
Professor

Cool, though it took me a pass and a half to realize what SIL was.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Cool, though it took me a pass and a half to realize what SIL was.
Sheesh! You shoulda seen me trying to figure out on the sewing forum what DH meant... I thought it was Damn Husband. Turns out it is Dear Husband, though I sometimes think 'damn' suits better...