The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #1276
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I gave it up when I couldn't watch the movies I wanted too because the wait time was so long and also because instant just didn't have much of what I wanted to see.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #1277
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Thinking of cancelling Netflix. We only watch about two DVDs a month, and stream maybe two movies a month. Now that they are splitting the services out and charging separately for each, it's not really worth it. We're probably going to put it on hold for a few months and maybe turn it back on in the Fall if we miss it. There's always Redbox at the corner grocery.

Problem is that the kids are getting older and getting later bedtimes, and there isn't time to watch a movie between when they go to bed and we need to.
Not bummed, it is what it is, I like that there is no contract term, if you don't like it just drop it, if you miss, just pick it up again.

The kids bed time thing cut down my movie watching a lot too.

Kinda torn on what to do, there's lot's of cool stuff online, TV series, all of Mythbusters, all of Monty Python etc., but a lot of cool older movies are disk only.

It's still less than the 3 at a time programn I started with.

There was some discussion on the radio the other day "Q: Why are Netflix doing this, A: because they can, there is no competition to the service they offer"
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #1278
glatt

I was talking to my brother recently. Somehow he snagged a spot on a closed tour of a Netflix distribution facility.

Turns out Netflix's goal is to never store a DVD. If they store a disk, they lose money. So they have these robotic machines that open the return envelopes, pull out the DVDs in their sleeves, scan the bar code on that sleeve, remove the DVD from that sleeve, clean the DVD and check it for damage. The machine also checks to make sure the correct DVD is in the sleeve. If you accidentally put your own personal DVD in the sleeve, the machine keeps track of which envelope that DVD came from and who sent it in, so it will return your DVD to you.
If the returned DVD is in fine shape, it's put back into the inner sleeve, and a new envelope is addressed to the next recipient and the DVD is stuck in there to go off to the next person. The machine sorts these stuffed envelopes by zipcode as it is filling the orders so that Netflix can get the lower pre-sorted postage rate.

Netflix has apparently gotten so good at the shipping part of the business that they know which post offices lose mail, and they know which post offices are good. They probably have a better handle on the post office quality than the post office does. They apparently go into the bad post offices and show them how to do a better job and they have been getting in trouble for it because other mass marketers want to be able to train the post office to deliver their mail the way they want it to be delivered too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #1279
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I watched Insidious tonight and now I'm too scared to sleep. Well, not really but I'm hoping that's a raccoon jumping around on my back porch.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #1280
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Netflix has a shipping point very close to my house. I usually get two day turnaround.

I'm pretty impressed.

Although I was saddened when they stopped selling old movies for $5.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 AM   #1281
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Limitless" was pretty decent.

"The Adjustment Bureau" was great.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #1282
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh I really want to see Limitless. Ma watched it last week with Our Kid and the girls. They all said it was great.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #1283
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
just watched "the Tillman Story" after reading Krakauer's book. The movie didn't add a whole lot to the story, but did clarify a few things.

I was not surprised at how the incident was handled, but I felt sorry for the family.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #1284
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh I really want to see Limitless. Ma watched it last week with Our Kid and the girls. They all said it was great.
When you watch it, keep in the back of your mind: eighthundreddollarsapilleighthundreddollarsapill.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #1285
DanaC

Not so much a dvd but been watching Ricky Gervais, OUt of England (2010)

Clip here:

Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #1286
DanaC

Also not DvD, but still feels like I'm delving into a boxset: I've been watching Inspector George Gently. It's been running for a few years, but I've never actually sat and watched one. So, the other night it was on and I just couldn;t be arsed moving from my seat to grab the remote and turn over...I'd had a massive chinese take away meal.

It was really good! So, later that night I went on youtube and found the pilot. Been making my way through the mysteries for past two nights. They're over an hour long, but only two for the first series, and I think 4 for the second series, then back to two movie length ones for the most recent.

They're set in 1960s Northumberland. There's a gentle pace to them that feels a really nice antidote to all the fast car chases and guntoting.

Here's the opening to the pilot:

Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #1287
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Sherlock Season One - excellent stuff. Can't wait for the next season.

Sucker Punch - awful. Couldn't even finish it. Too disjointed and too poorly written to ever make a connection with any of the characters.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #1288
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I saw Limitless and it was good fun.

Just watched Jane Eyre with Mia Wasikowska - she is phenomenal! Wonderful actress - she was mesmerizing in the series In Treatment (with Gabriel Byrne) and is just terrific in Jane Eyre. I actually liked this movie better than the book! Mia humanizes Jane somehow - when I read Jane, she comes off all prissy and haughty and too goody-goody. Mia made her human and real - with passions and life.

The guy who played Mr. Rochester was *wow* hot.

Highly recommend. Esp. if you love moody love stories with crazed wives in the attic.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #1289
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

EXCUSE ME! SPOILER ALERT!
Jeez. I was saving that book until the next century.

BTW - did she leave him in the end? As per the original?
The original original I mean, before Thursday Next.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #1290
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oops! sorry 'bout that, Sundae.

she does NOT leave him in the end and you (and I) wouldn't either, he's so damn hot and all. Seduces you with his command of the language, don't you know. And his physique. His dashing, manly, take-charge attitude and physique. Hmmmmmm. Yesssssss.

in the end they smooch and he says he's dreaming and she says, "Then awaken," aaaaaaaaaaaaand scene.

did you ever read Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea? It tells the backstory of Mrs. Crazy-Ass Rochester and how she got that way. Very good stuff.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies