The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #166
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Willingly becoming peaceful IS being civilized. Resolving conflict non-violently IS civilized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Removing arms by legislation is force... you will have to do it at gunpoint. You will be the gun toting fanatic saying you want to have the guns, via the cops, just not anyone else... sound familiar?
You want a police state... there are plenty you can move to.
There is NOTHING civilized about a police state.
(blue emphasis mine)
I would never force you to give up your guns. I appeal to you to voluntarily give them up. Please do not presume to tell me what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
BTW, it bothers me that you have continued to use that quote as long as you have for your sig.
It was a bad, and way out of character, moment for me.
I abhor name calling and it is extremely rare for me to do so... I think you will agree with that.
I have said nothing until now because I definitely deserved for you to use it, as it was uncalled for, regardless of how far you pushed.
However, you have had it as a sig beyond what I feel is tactful.
...
Say please and I'll gladly change it.
__________________
"I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex. " - xoxoxoBruce
Spexxvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #167
rkzenrage
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Huh? I was under the impression you wanted to legislate more gun control restrictions. I was wrong.

Please.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #168
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Huh? I was under the impression you wanted to legislate more gun control restrictions. I was wrong.
I probably came across that way, and Maggie may even have riled me up enough that I posted to that effect (yeah Maggie, I abdicate all responsiility and hold you to blame:p ). But I would really like to convince handgun owners, and only handgun owners, that the world would be a better place without handguns.
__________________
"I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex. " - xoxoxoBruce
Spexxvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #169
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Tell me what part of the World is not civilized? Then tell me how they found out about 9-11?
What was the first civilized nation? When was that?
Does that hyperbole sentence, that sounds like a newspaper headline, prove that the "civilized world" contains no violence? That the "civilized world" never goes to war? The civilized world never approves of executions? Get real.

Have you ever used your life insurance?
Would you please explain this? I don't understand what you're getting at.
__________________
"I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex. " - xoxoxoBruce
Spexxvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #170
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 70,323
OK, I'll spell it out for you.
W-H-A-T P-A-R-T O-F T-H-E W-O-R-L-D I-S N-O-T C-I-V-I-L-I-Z-E-D-?
__________________
The four horsemen ~ Hahn, Azar, Redfield, & Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #171
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
OK, I'll spell it out for you.
W-H-A-T P-A-R-T O-F T-H-E W-O-R-L-D I-S N-O-T C-I-V-I-L-I-Z-E-D-?
T-H-E P-A-R-T O-F T-H-E W-O-R-L-D T-H-A-T D-O-E-S N-O-T

1. Have a highly developed society and culture.
2. Show evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable

IMHO, people who use violence to resolve conflict do not meet the second part of this definition.
__________________
"I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex. " - xoxoxoBruce
Spexxvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #172
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 70,323
So, you're saying most of Africa is not civilized. And China, well most of Asia for that matter. Oh and Australia. Of course South America. And don't forget the USA. Man, are you gonna get hate mail.
__________________
The four horsemen ~ Hahn, Azar, Redfield, & Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #173
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So, you're saying most of Africa is not civilized. And China, well most of Asia for that matter. Oh and Australia. Of course South America. And don't forget the USA. Man, are you gonna get hate mail.
I'd not lump everyone together. Some Earthlings aren't civilized.
__________________
"I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex. " - xoxoxoBruce
Spexxvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #174
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,491
civ·i·lize Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[siv-uh-lahyz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), -lized, -liz·ing. to bring out of a savage, uneducated, or rude state; make civil; elevate in social and private life; enlighten; refine: Rome civilized the barbarians.

Here's another one:

civ·i·lized Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[siv-uh-lahyzd] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. having an advanced or humane culture, society, etc.
2. polite; well-bred; refined.
3. of or pertaining to civilized people: The civilized world must fight ignorance.
4. easy to manage or control; well organized or ordered: The car is quiet and civilized, even in sharp turns.



I guess some people are still barbarians, even if they do live in a civilized country.
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 AM   #175
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Jeffersonville PA (15 mi NW of Philadelphia)
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
But I would really like to convince handgun owners, and only handgun owners, that the world would be a better place without handguns.
Well, I know your belief is sincerely held, but to be convincing you'll need better reasons, because the ones you have suck pretty badly. Furthermore, "the world would be a better place without handguns" is a misplaced argument, because--beyond being untrue--it's not a possible part of any solution set. Prohibitionism doesn't work in the real world. All such laws can possibly do is disarm the law-abiding.
__________________
"Neither can his Mind be thought to be in Tune,whose words do jarre; nor his reason In frame, whose sentence is preposterous..."

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:16 AM   #176
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Jeffersonville PA (15 mi NW of Philadelphia)
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Rome civilized the barbarians.
Intreresting example. The way you could tell who was a Roman citizen on the street was they were the only ones who were permitted to carry arms.
__________________
"Neither can his Mind be thought to be in Tune,whose words do jarre; nor his reason In frame, whose sentence is preposterous..."

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #177
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,491
Yeah, and they were the ones with the army too....and the slaves.
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #178
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Jeffersonville PA (15 mi NW of Philadelphia)
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
(blue emphasis mine)
I would never force you to give up your guns. I appeal to you to voluntarily give them up.
Excellent. My reply is molon labe. Now we can move on.
__________________
"Neither can his Mind be thought to be in Tune,whose words do jarre; nor his reason In frame, whose sentence is preposterous..."

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #179
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Jeffersonville PA (15 mi NW of Philadelphia)
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Yeah, and they were the ones with the army too....and the slaves.
They're your exemplar, not mine.
__________________
"Neither can his Mind be thought to be in Tune,whose words do jarre; nor his reason In frame, whose sentence is preposterous..."

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #180
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,491
And what's your point?
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.