The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-03-2003, 06:44 AM   #61
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 44/100% pure
Don't worry, slang, I think 99 44/100ths (Hey! That's me!) of the readers got the joke.

But I was not joking about the way New Yorkers park -- I was actually taught to do it that way! Doesn't fly too well out here in Mighty-White-land (the suburb where I currently reside).
Of course you were - we call it the "Parking nudge" I know my father hates cars with plastic/painted bumpers because of this - he says they always get scratched Give him CHROME, with a rubber "rub strip" or black painted bumpers
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:24 AM   #62
Griff
still says videotape

Saw a cop with a crown vic yesterday. There was a stalled car in front of him, seems to me they used to push clunkers out of the way with their bumpers, but this car had a plastic bumper and no grill guard...
Old 01-03-2003, 05:37 PM   #63
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Maybe the cop feared an explosion, given that the Crown Vics are being targeted right now due to an issue with the gas tank.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #64
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
the way with their bumpers, but this car had a plastic bumper and no grill guard...
I saw this earlier and didnt comment about it.

Was this a local or a state cruiser?

From my many years on the road traveling from city to city there were many indicators that I would look for. One of them was a great big Mad Max style front bumper on the cop cars. That would indicate that I had just set up in or near the DMZ. The sturdier the front push bar, the more BS I could expect from the locals.

On the flipside, seeing a cruiser without some auger styled front attachment was very comforting.

Has anyone else noticed the similar trend?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #65
Griff
still says videotape

Local Yokel in Endicott, NY. pretty mellow area mad max no es necessito.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #66
juju
no one of consequence

Has anyone here (who's not from the south) ever heard the expression, "If it'd been a snake it'da bitcha!"?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:00 PM   #67
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yep...used primarily in the south and midwest.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #68
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Has anyone here (who's not from the south) ever heard the expression, "If it'd been a snake it'da bitcha!"?
It's a ruralism used around here if you're looking for something which you're standing on.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:04 PM   #69
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ditto.

Griff's got bitin' snakes up where he's at. I've been to the Rattlesnake Roundup a couple counties west of the end of the PA Turnpike northeast extension.

We also use it down here in the "Flatlands" ... (near phila.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:49 AM   #70
Griff
still says videotape

I put down my machete while we were surveying one time and couldn't find it. My partner shortens the phrase to "rattlesnake" so I freeze in place and start looking for a snake. I considered chopping him to bits.

Word on the street (or in the woods) is that the enormous increase in turkeys has resulted in a plummeting of rattlesnake numbers. Baby snakes mmmmm.... good eatin'.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:56 PM   #71
warch
lurkin old school

Anyone know the origin of this..."what in the Sam Hill are you doin'?"
I've heard it plenty in the south, ...there's a great scene in the film 'To Kill a Mockingbird' when Scout asks this, amazed by the actions of her friend Walter, as he pours syrup all over his lunch.
Why in the sam hill is this in my head?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:43 PM   #72
dave

Tee hee. I just watched TKAM last night and was thinking the same thing myself. Where did this come from?
Old 01-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #73
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What in the Sam Hill??

I always just thought that it was a polite way to avoid saying H-E-double hockeysticks. You larn sumthin' (which is probably wildly inaccurate) new ever' day.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-13-2003, 08:09 PM   #74
juju
no one of consequence

The page is a bit misleading. It talks about Sam Hill the railroad and highway builder, but then at the bottom of the page it says that the phrase predates him and refers to another person entirely!
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:19 PM   #75
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I warned you about the "wildly inaccurate" part ... I was hoping that Cecil Adams had declaimed upon this topic in The Straight Dope, but no such luck.