The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #481
Buddug

Well , thank you for being so kind , dar512 . I am packing up my books at the moment because I am moving from France to the Caribbean . I have given many books away , and I am now packing what I really want . It is an interesting thing to do , but very slow too , because I keep stopping .

I am flicking through Thoreau ( Walden) , also The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane . I am trying to remember certain lines so that I can attack you all when you try to justify guns .
Old 07-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #482
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
Ah , Catcher in the rye .... Tight prose and thought . Love it . Love the scene with the little sister on the roundabout .
I'm within 30 pages of finishing Catcher in the Rye. I've got Scarlet Letter lined up (just visited Hawthorne's grave in Sleepy Hollow Cemetary), Return of the Native (T.Hardy) and A Farewell to Arms(Hemingway). Went to the library today to p/u The Sun Also Rises (didn't have it!) and got DaVinci Code and How the Horse Shaped Civilization instead.
hh
Old 07-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #483
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
I am flicking through Thoreau ( Walden) , also The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane . I am trying to remember certain lines so that I can attack you all when you try to justify guns .
How ironic. You're gather ammunition for your argument.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #484
Buddug

No , I just like fine American ideas .
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #485
Buddug

....and oh , hoof-hearted , do not think that I have not seen you . The Scarlet letter , well how can you understand Miller without Hawthorne ?

As for Hemingway , he is part of my life because I love him and because he NEVER really understood Pamplona .

Hardy is a bucolic old fart .

Voilą , I cannot be expected to talk about everyone all of the time .
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #486
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Salinger was de rigour at my old school: however, my old english lit. teacher was a contempary of and actually know George Orwell, so all of his books were naturally on the menu. These days I tend to read only sci-fi (the hard stuff, not yer pansey pratchet whimsy) and at tne moment am re-reading Haldeman's The Forever War
Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #487
Buddug

I love George Orwell , and unlike you I have never had the privilege of being taught by a teacher who knew him .

I did however live in Barbastro in Spain at one time , where Orwell was in hospital during the Spanish Civil War . I tried to contact the old boy one night via a home-made ouidja board . Olive oil on a pane of glass . He did not reply , alas .
Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #488
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That explains a lot about you. You're possessed by a greasy Spanish demon.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #489
Buddug

If it's Lope de Vega , I don't mind .
Old 10-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #490
Ibby
erika

Hm, I'm itching for something to read. Anyone have any suggestions? Since Amazon takes weeks, then I'm lookin' for something well-known enough to Torrent.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #491
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think you'd really dig Neal Stephenson, Ibram. You should definitely start with "Snow Crash," and then do either "Diamond Age" or "Cryptonomicon."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #492
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'm currently reading "A Feast for Crows", the latest book in "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin. This volume is OK, but it doesn't follow some of my favorite plots in the series at all. Not a whole lot has happened so far, and I'm almost done with the book. Hopefully this series doesn't go where people tell me the Wheel of Time series ended up going.

Double hopefully the next book doesn't take as long to come out as this one did.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #493
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Double hopefully the next book doesn't take as long to come out as this one did.
It shouldn't--the only reason there's a "next book" yet at all is the draft for book four became ridiculously long, and the publisher insisted he cut it into two books. That's why "A Feast for Crows" ignores some characters entirely; their story arcs all got shifted to the second book (by which I mean the fifth book, don't know if it has a title yet or not.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #494
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I admit it - I'm reading Dance, Dance, Dance
Old 10-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #495
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
It shouldn't--the only reason there's a "next book" yet at all is the draft for book four became ridiculously long, and the publisher insisted he cut it into two books. That's why "A Feast for Crows" ignores some characters entirely; their story arcs all got shifted to the second book (by which I mean the fifth book, don't know if it has a title yet or not.)
Cool. I knew it felt incomplete in some way.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books