Old 01-19-2001, 02:03 PM   #16
wst3
Simulated Simulacrum

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Quote:
Originally posted by wst3
I think it is time to give the next administration an opportunity to succeed or fail on their own.
"On their own"? How do you mean that? Without the "advise and consent" of Congress? Or without comment from the citzenry? <p>
[/b]
Neither... no administration works in a vacuum, there are check and balances that were put into place way back when which include both "advice and consent" and judicial interpretation, and there is the possibility for the citzenry to be involved... heaven knows the media tries to give us information.

What I meant (poorly expressed) is that each administration, and each legistlature, has its proponents and detractors. I've not been silent in my disapproval of the last administration, and many have been just as loud in their approval.

And I know that there was a lot of noise 4 and 8 years ago, and I was part of it, to a point. I think there comes a time when you have to accept that "your guy" didn't win, so you watch what the other guy actually does. No one could have predicted that President Clinton would do some of the dumb things that he did 8 years ago... even his supporters<G>!

I think it is time to let the new administration take their places and see what they really do.

Quote:
Dubya, on what he think's Ashcroft's job will be:

"The legislature's job is to write law. It's the executive branch's job to interpret law."
[/b]
Wow... I missed that one! Too bad someone didn't cover the responsibilities of the three branches before that press conference.

Of course we could also be witnessing someone very cynical about the whole system... the judiciary has been saddled with making laws because the legislature discovered that if they sat there and did nothing the trial lawyers would bring the questions to light in court.

And to a lesser degreee the executive branch has been tasked with interpreting laws because jurists don't really want to do that either.

The whole system is slightly out of kilter.

I take the optomistic view that no one administration or legislature can do that much harm... hmmm... is that an optomistic view???

Quote:
I think the idea of "Bush on his own" is something that keeps his handlers awake at night...
[/b]
And I for one consider that a good thing... much like gridlock in DC... there are upsides to these things!

hmmm... yup, can't help but grin at the thought of a bunch of good old boys in a smokey back room sweating out what their candidate is up to.

On a serions note though, I think that Mr. Bush has put together a pretty good team. It isn't the team I would have necesarilly spec'd out, but there are some bright, forward thinking folks on there, and a few wackos to provide some balance, and I think that this administration has a very good opportunity to do some good.
wst3 is offline   Reply With Quote