The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Funnily enough, on scouting the Torchwood forums, the fans are more upset that RTD showed Jack as over Ianto
Disregarding the fact that Jack has got over countless other people in his long life (Captain John anyone?) and there is no indication of the WHEN of the vignette...

In fact it was commented more than once that this was RTD's "fingers up" parting gesture to Torchwood fans. Snigger. I loved Ianto - his death made me cry and mourn for him. But even I'm not so delicate a flower as to still be in mourning six months later. Most of my friends have been ready for a relationship IN REAL LIFE in a shorter time.

You can't please everyone.
I guess that's why you have to force it down people's throats.... as the tyrant said to the bishop.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fnaar fnarr!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What's strange here for me is finding out that we're getting Dr. Who relatively fresh, rather than months or years after the British Broadcasts.

Based on the last bits, I'm not sure if I'll take to the new guy. Too Manic. Or maybe I'll end up indifferent, like I was over Sylvester McCoy.

Oh, and I'm going to need to discuss spoilers and such ... good place for that?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

I enjoyed the two episodes, but feel that there were some unanswered questions.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
DanaC

Do a spoiler warning if you're going to do spoilers:P

I never took to McCoy. But i think a lot of that was to do with the way the show itself was going. The BBC had taken against it, or rather the head of BBC had decided he hated DrWho. So despite the fact that it was one of its most saleable products, it got no input of cash. Basically, whatever a programme brought in, got thrown into a general pot, rather than acknowledged and fed back into tjhat programme. The very last episode in the 80s (when it was announced that it wuold be cancelled) beat Coronation Street and match of the day in ratings, but none of that mattered once the BBC Controller had decided it was time for it to go. Consequently the budget for Doctor Who got smaller and smaller during the 80s and the pressure from on high to make it 'funny' and more 'family oriented' was very strong: hence the bringing in of light entertainment stars like McCoy and Langford. TStrangely enough though, whilst the first McCoy series was very lightweight, the later stories of his tenure werre very dark in tone and his doctor a much darker doctor than had previously been seen. Something I really didn't see or appreciate at the time. It's onlyreally in the last few years during my rediscovery of Doctor Who that I've realised just how dark and manipulative McCoy's Doctor actually was.

I suspect that Smith will make a good Doctor. I didn't like that couple of minutes of him, after the regen sequence....but I never do like that bit. It's always a little bit wank imo. I've seen every regen, including the 15-20 seconds which is all that remains extant of the First Doc's final episode, and the only two new Docs I haven't completely hated were Colin Baker (6th Doc) and David tennant (10 Doc). Even Peter Davison (my Doctor!) was wank in the first few seconds after regen.

I've seen the preview clip of the next series and it looks good....except for that 'Geronimo' catchphrase....please please drop that *sends a prayer to Moffat*

@ Sperlock: yes there were a lot of unanswered questions. If there are any in particular, that you want answering, it's possible I may be able to help :P Some of them relate to Doctor Who mythology and I may be able to answer some (though not all).
Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

FTR - I thought the Ten's first few seconds were wank. He seemed even more wide eyed than Christopher Manic Ecclestone. Adored him from the first full length of course - because he was tall and skinny and dangerous in a completely British way (probably because he's really a barbarian Scot).

I'm not against Smith. I'm precious enough about books, I don't need anything else cluttering up my enjoyment of the world. But even saying that, I admit he's on report.

Wolf - spoiler away! Selfishly, you can't spoil it for us But, no - as Dana advises, mark it as such for fellow Merkins.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Keryx likes Tom Baker as her favorite. I like David Tennant the only Dr. that I have seen start to finish. Who is your favorite Dr.?
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.

Last edited by fargon; 01-03-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spurious char fixed
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
DanaC

I don't really have a favourite as such. They kind of cycle around between four or five of them. At any given point my favourite might be Colin Baker, Peter Davison, Paul McGann, Chris Eccleston or David Tennant. At a push I would probably say David Tennant is a constant. But i am very into the audio Doctor Who stories as well and Paul McGann is particularly wonderful in those.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
DanaC

My favourite scene from the whole of End of Time parts one and two. Probably one of the best scenes from the new era (to my mind). It's a gentle scene. But I found it disturbing to watch. The Doctor always knows what to do. He's always got an answer. He always has hope. But this is a Doctor facing the end and his lack of certainty, his lack of hope is unsettling to watch.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mock up facebook page for The Doctor.
Made me laugh anyway.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

Thanks for sharing that. It gave me a much needed laugh.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
DanaC

David as Davina in Rab C. Nesbitt

Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
Pie
Gone and done

In case you were wondering about their alignment.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The Ten was never Chaotic Evil!
He was... Angst Fit maybe?

The more I see of Matt Smith, the more I like him. He was on Jonathan Ross last night (o/t - today the Express had a revolting article about Jane Goldsmith. It didn't even make sense, criticising her from two opposite points of view in one article - AND it was written by a woman - bleurgh) and Smith was totally charming. FTR I'm not a huge Ross fan, but I share many of his tastes and will certainly miss Friday Night With... You can't really be appalled by Death By Media when someone has made their living from it, but with Parky gone I can't help thinking we've lost pretty much our only decent interviewers. Oh sorry - there's Alan Titchmarsh I suppose!

Back to the Doctor.

I can't hold the fact Smith isn't Tennant against him. Well, not forever..
And anyway, I usually fall for quirky looking men, rather than handsome beasts (the name given to Diz when I was living above the pub, actually).

It's just tricky accepting a Timelord who to all appearances is younger than me.
Keep hoping Cap'n Jack will make his way back to the Doctor. In terms of years lived, Jack's actually older than the Doctor, and has now had some really sobering experiences. I'd like to see him take the younger Doctor in hand. Pun intended.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Here is our newb

Tags
tv shows