The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2020, 03:29 AM   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,026
Swami Vivekananda once said:

Quote:
Science is nothing but the finding of unity. As soon as science would reach perfect unity, it would stop from further progress, because it would reach the goal. Thus Chemistry could not progress farther when it would discover one element out of which all other could be made. Physics would stop when it would be able to fulfill its services in discovering one energy of which all others are but manifestations, and the science of religion become perfect when it would discover Him who is the one life in a universe of death, Him who is the constant basis of an ever-changing world. One who is the only Soul of which all souls are but delusive manifestations. Thus is it, through multiplicity and duality, that the ultimate unity is reached. Religion can go no farther. This is the goal of all science.
All science is bound to come to this conclusion in the long run. Manifestation, and not creation, is the word of science today, and the Hindu is only glad that what he has been cherishing in his bosom for ages is going to be taught in more forcible language, and with further light from the latest conclusions of science.
http://www.worldofswamivivekananda.b...d-science.html

Last edited by Dude111; 10-03-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
What the hell does "the constant basis of an ever-changing world" mean?
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
jaminhealth
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Monica CA
Posts: 226
The world is forever changing, and we need to be changing also.

I'm not a big science lover, but I'm a doer and love to share some of my life experiences...but as always KEEP AN OPEN MIND....

Peace Out All.
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,045
not a science lover?

....

are you science believer? you don't have to love it, you just have to accept the scientific method. which... might be a big ask.
__________________
Be Just and Fear Not.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:03 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The world is forever changing, and we need to be changing also.
Then if it's changing where the fuck does constant basis come from?
See, that's what you do, read it and expound your philosophy regardless if it's relevant to what you read or not. Credit for memorizing the script anyway. LOL
Quote:
I'm not a big science lover, but I'm a doer and love to share some of my life experiences...but as always KEEP AN OPEN MIND.
It's obvious you are not a fan of science, as it requires proof. I'm sure your life experiences make for lovely tales but that has nothing to do with anything but entertainment.

Tell me a life experience of yours that proves anything, anything at all.
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
jaminhealth
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Monica CA
Posts: 226
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Then if it's changing where the fuck does constant basis come from?
See, that's what you do, read it and expound your philosophy regardless if it's relevant to what you read or not. Credit for memorizing the script anyway. LOL
It's obvious you are not a fan of science, as it requires proof. I'm sure your life experiences make for lovely tales but that has nothing to do with anything but entertainment.

Tell me a life experience of yours that proves anything, anything at all.
What pleasure do you gain from rudeness....wonder how you treat your mother and grandmother and other women in your life.... and you have no clue about me but clearly must get some pleasure from the attacking, and there seems to be a lot here...
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 39,504
Quote:
“The only constant in life is change”
~Heraclitus
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:00 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What pleasure do you gain from rudeness....wonder how you treat your mother and grandmother and other women in your life.... and you have no clue about me but clearly must get some pleasure from the attacking, and there seems to be a lot here...
Because it's open season on pompous bullshitters who think they are a fountain of wisdom when all they do is spew dangerous precepts which can cause serious harm to the gullible, often desperate, masses.

I don't feel well.
Don't waste money on a Doctor who had 10 years training eat grape-seed oil.
OK, I'll do that
How do you feel now?
DEAD silence
Next!
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
jaminhealth
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Monica CA
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Because it's open season on pompous bullshitters who think they are a fountain of wisdom when all they do is spew dangerous precepts which can cause serious harm to the gullible, often desperate, masses.

I don't feel well.
Don't waste money on a Doctor who had 10 years training eat grape-seed oil.
OK, I'll do that
How do you feel now?
DEAD silence
Next!
What made you SO ANGRY????

And it's not eat grape seed oil...I use the oil in my salads sometimes but the extract is a powder in a capsule.

And plenty in the World love to work on their own healing and not put their lives in doctor's hands.

Again WHY SO ANGRY????

Wonder why the xo xo xo stuff with Bruce, those denote kisses and hugs and I sure don't feel that coming from you Bruce....
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
Dude111
An Awesome Dude
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,026
Lets try to be nice to each other guys!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #11
Flint
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dystopia
Posts: 13,122
yeah jfc Bruce
__________________
******************
There's a level of facility that everyone needs to accomplish, and from there
it's a matter of deciding for yourself how important ultra-facility is to your
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:53 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
Why am I angry? Because passive is aiding and abetting liars like you.
Liar? Yes! If you say I believe the moon is made of green cheese, you're dismissed as a kook.
But if you say the moon is made of green cheese, that's a lie.

Now you said you knew a woman who took NyQuil and died. Fill us in on this woman, unless you were lying.
Tell us about why they brought a woman missing a leg to your room when you were in the hospital, unless you were lying.
I'm not buying the sweet little old lady bullshit as a cover for spreading lies that end up hurting people.
That's why I'm fucking angry.
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Posts: 18,430
Amen.
__________________
The internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously. - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
keryx
Mrs. Fargon
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 85
[quote=jaminhealth;1059392]The world is forever changing, and we need to be changing also.

I would rate this statement true.

I'm not a big science lover, but I'm a doer and love to share some of my life experiences...but as always KEEP AN OPEN MIND....

Not a big science lover? Seriously? Science is not something to "believe" in or "love" or "hate." It's a tool for objective analysis of existence based on evidence and proof. Science and technology has brought about the modern world and in this particular instance the ability to communicate from all over the world in a amazingly fast way.

And like all tools, in human hands it can be used for good or ill.
Science itself is neither good nor evil.

I can't believe this needs to be explained to someone of your age. If you can't appreciate the gifts of science, by all means destroy your computer and cell phone.
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Last edited by keryx; 10-11-2020 at 09:41 AM.
keryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Posts: 18,430
[quote=keryx;1059967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The world is forever changing, and we need to be changing also.

I would rate this statement true.

I'm not a big science lover, but I'm a doer and love to share some of my life experiences...but as always KEEP AN OPEN MIND....

Not a big science lover? Seriously? Science is not something to "believe" in or "love" or "hate." It's a tool for objective analysis of existence based on evidence and proof. Science and technology has brought about the modern world and in this particular instance the ability to communicate from all over the world in a amazingly fast way.

And like all tools, in human hands it can be used for good or ill.




OMG. Keryx, There you go with the facts again! Facts? Pffft. You can use facts to prove anything.

Science itself is neither good nor evil.

I can't believe this needs to be explained to someone of your age. If you can't appreciate the gifts of science, by all means destroy your computer and cell phone.
__________________
The internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously. - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.