The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-14-2001, 04:22 PM   #1
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Education

My Mom's a teacher, as are both of my fiancee's parents. And any teacher worth his/her salt will agree that if a kid doesn't enter school ready to learn, then s/he won't. And what does it take to get a kid ready to learn? Simple: parents who give a damn. Don't just plop your kid in front ot the TV at night- read to him/her. Heck, read on your own. Reading is of absolutely paramount importance for a kid's education, and it's <b>never</b> too early for a kid to start learning.

My Mom- whose Master's is in reading education- calls her favorite method of teaching reading the "Lap Method." It goes like this: As soon as the kid can sit still, plop him/her on your lap and read to him. That way, s/he will associate reading with feelings of comfort and safety- good feelings. That way, your kid will <b>want</b> to read on his/her own- and some day, when you're taking him/her shopping, s/he'll surprise the hell out of you by reading a sign in the store.

That's how it worked with all of my siblings and I. Oh- Andi was reading at 5, and Sam and I before we turned 3.

It works,
Z
adamzion is offline   Reply With Quote