Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

50/50, she might have him executed.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

What if she named him as VP? Everyone would shit themselves.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

That would be fun to watch.
https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2016
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't know because I don't follow it and I don't talk to people about it but it really seems to me that this guy has broken the code.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Griff, that seems pretty accurate.
UT, it's true. Think of all the free press Trump has gained from howls of righteous indignation to his posturing. I hate black jellybeans. That's racist!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I don't know because I don't follow it and I don't talk to people about it but it really seems to me that this guy has broken the code.
That makes sense. A lot of defenses of the Donald seem to start at non-pc. I think I understand that people resent adjusting their language... I don't quite understand the label pc all the time though.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I don't quite understand the label pc all the time though.
A common thread in UT's citation is that Political Correctness means learning facts before having a conclusion. Many before Trump used these same techniques. Racism in the deep south meant a Governor could be popular by simply inspiring people with emotions. A 'them verses us' emotion is a powerful and successful tool to manipulate many who want to be told how to think with only soundbytes. Those evil 'politically correct' people want facts and reasons - not emotion. Those 'politically correct' people were labeled intellectuals or 'do goody liberals' or 'righteous atheists'. All labels to inspire more emotion. The 'them' did not use emotions to see what was really true. Just another way of inspiring followers with a 'them verses us' mentality.

Sen Joseph McCarthy used a same concept to become popular and powerful. His followers also knew he was right because emotion said so. Who were the enemies of McCarthyism? People who first learned facts. That required thinking logically - contrary to what McCarthy supporters did.

How ironic that George Wallace would endorse integration. Was he a racist? Maybe not. But once emotion would no longer inspire supporters, he had to change tactics. Ironically it worked.

Since McCarthy and others did it so long ago, then many forget how easily power can be obtained by inspiring the emotional. By preaching to people who find power in their feelings. Who regard conclusions based in first learning facts as 'political correctness'.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Political Correctness is not facts, it's majority(and sometime minority) consensus of what is polite and proper behavior in public. It's about imposing the majority opinion on everyone, which is as un-American in the eyes of the founding fathers as you can get. They took great pains to write the Constitution in a way to prevent doing that legally, especially by the government.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #9
John Sellers
Banned

I think Griff wanted was the dictionary definition.

Quote:
The avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.
-- Oxford Dictionaries

Last edited by John Sellers; 06-10-2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Accidentally hit Enter 3too soon.
John Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

I meant that when I hear complaints from the right about pc it sounds like they want public officials to put those people in their place by using the N word or going back to denouncing homosexuality in press conferences. The reality is we all have the right to use the words we want but everyone else still has the right to label us for the asshole we are when our words expose beliefs that the wider culture no longer accepts.

Obviously it gets out of line on college campuses because campuses are experimental places where kids experiment with ideas, humans are largely stupid, and lefty professors do often want censorship. It can go too far interfering in conversation about important topics like immigration, but in the wider culture it generally it isn't that. It's people trying to put others back in their place. When pc goes too far by limiting ideas you can argue it on free speech grounds and usually without being a douche.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
glatt

Kids ARE experimenting with ideas, and that where change often comes from.

There are some kids at my daughter's high school who have very specific desires about which pronouns you can use when referring to them. And my daughter has learned to respect their wishes so much that now she doesn't ever want to presume which pronoun she can use when referring to ANYONE until she hears from that person which pronoun they want others to use. It results in convoluted sentence structure when she's talking about someoen with unknown preferences. She explained this to my wife and I matter-of-factly, not as a complaint. She was fine with it.

So the kids today, or at least this liberal group in this high school, are bending over backwards to show respect for one another. It makes me both proud and horrified. They are losing an efficiency in language and it's basically about making other people changing their behavior to suit you, but it's also about showing compassion and basic human decency.

It all seems a little weird to me in my generation. I must be getting to be a dinosaur. Not enough of one to support Trump though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
... I must be getting to be a dinosaur. ...
Then I'm not going to refer to you using any pronouns 'cause you might be a Trannyosaurus Rex.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #13
John Sellers
Banned

@Griff: Acknowledged.

@glatt: Yer not old. The younger generation is simply making sure future generations are too damn sensitive to deal with life.
John Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just another form of youth rebellion against the elders status quo, putting their stamp on the world. Damn whippersnappers think their generation is unique, think they will fix the ills of society.
I think they're in for a rude awaking, when they find out they made things different, but not better. I hope to fuck I'm wrong.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

They may make things incrementally better but I see where stuff like pronoun usage for people you don't know really isn't manageable. My main point is that most pc complaints are really about how the complainant wants to be a bigot without being called on it.