The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Journalist Digs Dirt on George Soros, Billionaire, Owner Of Mansions & Yachts

This just in on the O'Reilly Factor: journalist Peter Schweitzer's recent opus Do As I Say, Not As I Do: Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy, explains where good ole estate-tax-raising, big-funds-to-big-government George Soros's extensive monies are sequestered. Seems the lion's share of Soros's billions are kept overseas -- Cayman Islands, Bermuda, and Curaçao, among some others of convenience. Quite beyond the jurisdiction of the IRS, by no coincidence, yet ole George S is quite willing that others' fortunes be taxed, once he's seen to it he can't be unduly touched.

If I had a thousandth as much, I'd move an appreciable fraction of it offshore too -- but I'm not going to turn around and say "now tax that other guy."

I didn't pay as much attention to a rather gleeful discussion of Al Franken's hiring practices: of 112 employees, says Schweitzer, exactly one is... what looks at first glance like a token Negro. Moral superiority? Advantage: Right.

I wonder what the Journal of Left Wing Lunacy has to say on this. Soros is the one reason AirAmerica radio is still afloat. The outfit is amateurishly managed and not making money.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 11-03-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Seems to me he also made dividends war-mongering in the Balkans.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Yeah, he sounds like a real tightwad.

Quote:
The philanthropist. Soros has been active as a philanthropist since 1979, when he began providing funds to help black students attend the University of Cape Town in apartheid South Africa. Today he is chairman of the Open Society Institute (OSI) and the founder of a network of philanthropic organizations that are active in more than 50 countries. Based primarily in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union—but also in Africa, Latin America, Asia, and the United States—these foundations are dedicated to building and maintaining the infrastructure and institutions of an open society. They work closely with OSI to develop and implement a range of programs focusing on civil society, education, media, public health, and human rights as well as social, legal, and economic reform. In recent years, OSI and the Soros foundations network have spent more than $400 million annually to support projects in these and other focus areas. In 1992, Soros founded Central European University, with its primary campus in Budapest.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Soros is the one reason AirAmerica radio is still afloat. The outfit is amateurishly managed and not making money.

I think AirAmerica isn't doing as well as right wing radio because the left doesn't have as many dittoheads as the right. I'm a liberal, but I've never once tuned into the mothership of AirAmerica to be told what to think. I think there are a lot of like minded liberals. AirAmerica very well may be managed poorly, but that's beside the point. Without listeners, a radio station won't do well.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

Smacks of spin desperation.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
marichiko

Quote:
This just in on the O'Reilly Factor: journalist Peter Schweitzer's recent opus Do As I Say, Not As I Do: Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy, explains where good ole estate-tax-raising, big-funds-to-big-government George Soros's extensive monies are sequestered. Seems the lion's share of Soros's billions are kept overseas -- Cayman Islands, Bermuda, and Curaçao, among some others of convenience. Quite beyond the jurisdiction of the IRS, by no coincidence, yet ole George S is quite willing that others' fortunes be taxed, once he's seen to it he can't be unduly touched.

If I had a thousandth as much, I'd move an appreciable fraction of it offshore too -- but I'm not going to turn around and say "now tax that other guy."
I take solace in the thought of your integrity, UG. "If I can hide my money from the government, I'll let everyone else do it, as well. It will be our little secret."

See Dick and George. See Dick make outrageous war profiteering money from his Halliburten connections. See Dick hand George a chunk of the pie. See Dick and George open savings accounts in the Cayman Islands. See Dick and George give a gentleman's handshake to their fellow zillionaires "You guys should discover the joys of international banking, too! (Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge) Run, Libby, run!

So, who's going to pay for all those wars of your, UG? You know the ones the US is waging to make everyone free to have off shore back accounts and not pay taxes, too? An army travels on its stomach, as the saying goes. Somebody has GOT to feed those guys and keep 'em in ammo and buy nice flag draped coffins to send them back home in.

Quote:
I didn't pay as much attention to a rather gleeful discussion of Al Franken's hiring practices: of 112 employees, says Schweitzer, exactly one is... what looks at first glance like a token Negro. Moral superiority? Advantage: Right.
Maybe its 111 token white guys. :p
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

What I get from all the above is you don't think you can have an offshore account. I don't think that's the way of it.