The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
fomentor
Vivacious Vivisectionist

just because somebody is a self admitted troll doesn't mean every word they post on the Internet is trolling, or that trolling is the purpose of there visiting every site they go to, i cant comment on their motives with any certainty, but knowing the people that do cross post here it is very much reasonable to assume they came here looking for friendship, lively political debate and the coffee shop environment. if you treat a person like they are trolling and repeatedly accuse them of trolling, at some point they will say "well hell if this is the response i get from these people i might as well escalate the hostility", and any chance of them becoming a member of this group is gone..

if the some of the cross posters have abrasive aspects to there communication style "so what" so do some of your regulars why is it trolling from some and accepted from others?
fomentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomentor View Post
... if you treat a person like they are trolling and repeatedly accuse them of trolling, at some point they will say "well hell if this is the response i get from these people i might as well escalate the hostility",
or they could just think "Hey, this isn't the forum for lively and interesting discussion I was looking for", and stop participating.

By upping the ante they are playing the game.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
fomentor
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
or they could just think "Hey, this isn't the forum for lively and interesting discussion I was looking for", and stop participating.

By upping the ante they are playing the game.
so only established long time users can be themselves and engage in lively discussion? newcomers must adopt some alternate personality and posting style? where are the rules for what type of personality i need to adopt, how lively my discussion can get and how long i need to be this other person before i can post enthusiastically as myself?
fomentor is offline   Reply With Quote