The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-31-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Unhappy "There are a fair number of USAns -- and others -- who are wondering whether ...

... who are wondering whether the world will survive this coming Tuesday... or the results thereof. "

I found this quote on another website I frequent which does not have a politics category. I don't often stick my head above the parapet in political discussions with Americans (for "don't often" read "never", actually), but here goes ...

If I allowed myself to think about it I'd be terrified to think that my future is dependant on Tuesday's vote, and it surely is .... see me as the typical inhabitant of "overseas" or "abroad". How does that make you guys feel?

Why is Florida so darned important?
Old 10-31-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It makes me feel very, very worried and nervous. Florida is important in that it is a "swing" state--could go either way (as in Bush or Kerry) Ohio and Pennsylvania are swing states, too. Bush and Kerry have been to Ohio so often it's gotten commonplace for us. No Republican has ever won the White House without winning Ohio.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
cyber snoop
Under mostly cloudy skies

Seems like yet another "end of the world" routine. God, I envy those who somehow always find a way to capitalize on human nature!
cyber snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll check in here to see what happened, I'll be at work after the election...everyday. I've got some shopping to do........and get the car inspected........shine my shoes........life goes on. :p
Old 10-31-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
marichiko

Yeah, I imagine we'll all muddle along, regardless of who wins. The thought of another 4 years of Bush is not a pleasant one, however.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

what was that line from the end of Grapes of Wrath? about the people going on...

ah! googlemagic!

Ma Joad : Rich folk come up an' they die, an' their kids ain't no good an' they die out. But we keep acoming, Pa, cus' we're the people that live.

Last edited by warch; 10-31-2004 at 08:25 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 AM   #7
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Come on, come on...let's be positive about all this.

If Bush wins, we get four more years of picking at him, four more years of Bushisms, four more years of those flyaway ears of his, four more years of pictures where he's looking like deer caught in a headlight.

If Kerry wins, we get a fresh guy to poke at and we can define and refine our gags about him. Just think: a fresh set of presidental jokes!

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I think that this election is more important to the world at large than it is to us. We're not the ones he's bombing.

Yet...

Edit: fixed something before the grammer fairy smacked me with his wand again.

Last edited by Troubleshooter; 11-01-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
cyber snoop
Under mostly cloudy skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I think that this election is more important to the world at large than it is to us.
Well, who can blame "us" for trying to look after ourselves first, and worry about the rest of the world later?
cyber snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Maybe it's the weather over here but I am so depressed about this whole thing--how nasty this election is, how people in Europe, for chrissakes, are practically pounding us over the head over it....I just want to curl up into a ball and suck my thumb.
I mean it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 11-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber snoop
Well, who can blame "us" for trying to look after ourselves first, and worry about the rest of the world later?
Huh?
Old 11-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #12
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Maybe it's the weather over here but I am so depressed about this whole thing--how nasty this election is, how people in Europe, for chrissakes, are practically pounding us over the head over it....I just want to curl up into a ball and suck my thumb.
I mean it.
I didn't mean to upset anyone . I certainly am not pounding anyone over the head - just was wondering how it seems to you folks . I am, after an to most of you guys .... !
Old 11-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm just stressing, limey. I've gone back to work after a traumatic experience, I'm freaking out over this election and I'm in debt up to my eyes due to being off work--I'll be glad when it's all over. They're telling us to get ready to stand in line for quite a while tomorrow--the poles are going to be crowded and have challengers asking about our identification and address. It'll probably take weeks to find out who won the election. I do feel like crying, though. This sucks.

—James Barrie

Old 11-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
They're telling us to get ready to stand in line for quite a while tomorrow--the poles are going to be crowded and have challengers asking about our identification and address.

Can you tell me more about this? Who are these challengers and what rights do they have? I'm not in the habit of being particularly friendly or forthcoming to strangers who approach me, but I don't want to screw myself out of the chance to vote by telling the wrong person to piss off.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #15
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Thank the Lord for absentee ballots. I voted last week from the comfort of my futon!