The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
glatt

I'm getting ready to sell my cousin's 2012 Ford Focus.

Looking for advice in how to go about selling it.

First of all, he has been in one or two accidents with it, and had it repaired through insurance at legitimate body shops that would report that shit to Carfax. I don't know the severity of those accidents, but don't see any visible problems with the car. It looks pretty good, but has a toothpaste or something stain on the passenger seat. I should try to clean that.

The car currently doesn't run. Two issues: He had been trying to start it and wasn't able to because the key would turn in the ignition without the starter even engaging, and instead the alarm would go off. Some Ford bullshit electrical problem. And secondly, I disconnected the battery to spare the neighbors the alarm sound every time he tried this, and also to ensure he would never be able to get the car started because he was a menace on the road.

So it needs a tow to the dealership to get those two things fixed. Battery is easy, but I figure it should wait until it's at the dealer so it won't be honking up the neighborhood.

On the plus side, it should have low miles (Not sure because the battery is disconnected and I can't read the odometer.) And he had purchased the extended service plan, and it has a couple years left on that plan, and the plan will transfer to the new owner.

My wife contacted the dealer and some guy responded that he wanted the VIN and some pictures so he could make us an offer. I appreciate her calling the dealer, but I don't know if he's a repair guy or a salesman.

Is it foolish to talk to a salesman before the car is even running?

Should I get it repaired and then try to sell it, or should I just deal with this salesman and sell it as is?

Is a car automatically considered "rough" even if it looks OK but was in a previous accident?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote