The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

Is a single PoC here willing to agree that white people should get to define racism?
Is a single woman here willing to agree that men should get to define sexism and patriarchy?
Is a single queer here willing to agree that cishet people should get to define homphobia or transphobia?
just one of you, come on. Just one of any category that isn't cis het white male.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
I have a question for you, classic. What percentage of our country do you believe is racist to some degree or another?
My answer to your question is 100%.

Quote:
I have no time to care about the poor fee-fees of people who uphold and continue racist structures but feel like "omg no i can't be racist i have a black friend and i think the kkk sux gosh if you're going to call people racist youre just gonna turn them off and make them worse" because racism is SO much deeper than consciously having a problem with black people.
and like, I'd basically define racism as "not struggling every day to erase insidious colonialist/imperialist/racist cultural values from your life and actions"
This is a ridiculous definition. By your definition, someone who struggles every day is not racist, and anyone who doesn't struggle any day is a racist. You're improperly conflating actions and attitudes. Racism is a state of mind. That state of mind is sometimes the energizing force behind some actions, sometimes partly so, more or less, and sometimes there are actions that are completely free from any influence of a given attitude. Not every choice I make as a white man is a racist one or a sexist one, despite the fact that I have color and gender. Buddy, you need to find a different definition, that one is useless. On top of being so preachy that only your most infatuated fans will still give you any serious attention after hearing it.

Quote:
which is about as broad a definition as it's possible to construe, because the PoC who suffer from the effects of racism and know way better than i do what racism IS say so, and to assume that white people know better about racism than they do is completely fucked up.
So I'll "throw it around" while utterly denying that there is any "rightulness" to their narcissistic offense-taken.

--snip
I dismiss your offense-taking with an equal measure of righteous disdain. Now we're even.

So, you're saying that PoC know what racism IS, and Pw/oC don't. How the fuck do you know what racism is then? You are not a person of color.

Quote:
What experiences can possibly lead white people to any understanding that would allow them to define racism, other than listening to the experiences of PoC or consulting bare statistics?
Oh, this is your answer? By listening to the experiences of PoC or consulting statistics. You mean a white racist has no understanding at all of racism? White supremacists don't have any standing in defining racism? You probably don't see how narrow and useless your definition is. You are making a strenuous effort to claim--no--campaign/proselytize/cheerlead for the claims of the only real source of knowledge about racism. You, by your own definition, can't know it, you can only be told about it, so you're just parroting someone else's story.
Quote:
the fact that you think black people can be racist against white people alone is laughable. --snip
... words fail me here to adequately express how wrong this position is. you may indeed find it laughable, but that doesn't mean it's wrong, only that you are incapable of understanding. You're saying black people can know what racism *IS* but can't *BE* racist against white people? That is bullshit.

Quote:
Is a single PoC here willing to agree that white people should get to define racism?
Is a single woman here willing to agree that men should get to define sexism and patriarchy?
Is a single queer here willing to agree that cishet people should get to define homphobia or transphobia?
just one of you, come on. Just one of any category that isn't cis het white male.
so... this is about who gets to define terms? you're saying that poc get to define racism? what is the definition then? did you get consensus on that definition? what about mixed race people? does obama get, what, half a vote? "Get to define"... what a stupid proposition.

Ibby, when you post stuff like this, you sound like the most oppressed victim in the history of the world. It makes me wonder why you don't have your on United Nation Protection Force. You're dripping with empathy for some people but those bitter tears blind you completely to the validity of the points of view of other people *outside* your pity party.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Holy Fuck.

I dont give a goddamn if you 'adult' males think Ibby is responding in an emotional immature way, because he has a GREAT point. If only you could walk in a PoC's shoes for ONE DAY, maybe you would get it.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote