The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Comparison

If the owner of a Volt makes lots of long trips, their cost can approach $1.60 per 25 miles, which is more than that of a Prius, at $1.29.

If they never run down the battery, their cost is $1.01.

Which approach is better depends on expected usage.

The first x miles of the trip will be at $1.01/25 mi, and $1.60 after that. It starts cheaper, but there's a point at which it gets more expensive than the Prius.

(Assumptions from the page: gas is $2.69/gal, electricity $0.13/kWh. Local rates will affect the crossover point as well.)
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Those numbers are highly inflated. GM cars are routinely designed to get a highest EPA number at the expense of reality. EPA says the engine gets 42 MPG. Most owners are getting 35. Road and Track could not exceed 39 MPG.

Meanwhile, EPA highway mileage numbers are achieved or exceeded in competition products. For example, my Honda Accord, rated 28 MPG on the highway, routinely does over 30 MPG in all driving - local or highway. Lowest I ever got was 28 in much local driving short distances in winter.

GM's 42 MPG for Volt is clearly suspect. It was always a bad design since it was originally designed to only be an EV - no gasoline motor. It took almost 10 years to design and still does not do what superior cars do - a true hybrid.

As a kludge, numbers that GM promotes are always suspect. It is and should be a early victim of The Don's campaign to harm America business with tariffs, trade wars, subverting trade deals, and other job destroying actions.

Just talked to a Chevy salesman. They sold no Volts. They are not even permitted to sell Bolts. And the Chevy Spark is another disaster. They often do not have any in stock since it does not sell.

Meanwhile, I believe Ford sells a true hybrid that can also be charged from AC for short distances. Then a cold gasoline engine need not run when it is least efficient and causing most wear.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Those numbers are highly inflated. GM cars are routinely designed to get a highest EPA number at the expense of reality. EPA says the engine gets 42 MPG. Most owners are getting 35. Road and Track could not exceed 39 MPG.

Meanwhile, EPA highway mileage numbers are achieved or exceeded in competition products. For example, my Honda Accord, rated 28 MPG on the highway, routinely does over 30 MPG in all driving - local or highway. Lowest I ever got was 28 in much local driving short distances in winter.
Eh, they're all based on best-case scenarios. My Prius doesn't get 52 unless I hit a major traffic jam on the Beltway (suspect definition of "best-case scenario"). On average, it's below 45. YMMV (ha ha!)
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

tw missed his calling, he could have been the next Dr Seuss. With his talent for taking a fact or two and weaving a story that works his fantasies and prejudices into the scenario. The scary part is he believes it.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

On the bright side, Trumpy had a no good very bad day yesterday.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Trumpy had a no good very bad day yesterday.
Which part was significant?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
tw

Volt as designed was so bad that they had to remove batteries and add a motor. There is no replacement for that Kludge. Trump actually did good for America. His tariffs killed crap called a Volt.

As usual, GM's mythical 42 MPG from its motor is only a pathetic 35 MPG. My Civics routinely did 40 MPG. A Lexus hybrid just up from Virginia - he was routinely doing in the mid to high 40s MPG. That is a larger car.

Many Chevy dealers are not permitted to sell the Bolt. Bolt is the $50,000 attempt to compete with Tesla. Obviously it is also not selling.

Chevy Spark, that should have been a hybrid, was designed using last generations technology. No hybrid version (as best I can tell) is even in the planning stage. Another trophy for the GM showcase.

No fact yet justified the Volt. It was crap. Any advantage it has is even found in hybrids from Ford. Volt is another GM trophy alongside the EV1.

A Volt battery only gets 40 miles? Golf carts designed to be licensed are almost as good.

The automotive press has also been just as critical. So the naive also call them demented.

Tags
cheesecake