The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
pdaoust
Antagonistic Antagonist

I read about Japan's war with China in the Tintin graphic novel The Blue Lotus, in which Tintin somehow simultaneously gets caught up in the political crossfire of said war, and runs afoul of an opium trafficking ring. (The poor guy never seemed to run out of bad luck.)

Tintin novels are very cool, if anyone hasn't encountered them. Of course, in the novel, the Chinese are all portrayed as gracious, humble folk; whereas the Japanese are violent, duplicitous, and kinda ugly. I guess that was the political climate of the '40s.
pdaoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
chrisinhouston
Professor

My grandfather was in China from about 1902 to 1929 where he served in the Postal Service as a Commissioner. He travelled all over China and Japan as well (my grandmother's mother was Japanese).

I still remember him saying once, "The Japanese are very nice people until they put on a uniform."

A whole branch of our family was totally displaced after the invasion of Manchuria but luckily we only lost one in a POW camp.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
chrisinhouston
Professor

Look here if you have the stomach for it! Doesn't it same strange that we as humans feel we are endowed by God to be the dominant species on earth but no other species kills there own kind the way we do?

http://www.fatherryan.org/holocaust/...apenanking.htm

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Karenv
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
Look here if you have the stomach for it! Doesn't it same strange that we as humans feel we are endowed by God to be the dominant species on earth but no other species kills there own kind the way we do?

http://www.fatherryan.org/holocaust/...apenanking.htm

Clearly the killing fields were not all in Cambodia.

Attached Images

Last edited by Karenv; 05-11-2006 at 02:16 PM. Reason: show picture
Karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

By the time Japan invaded China they had honed their brutality skills all over Asia.
Korea and Manchuria were training grounds for new troops to practice savagery, away from the homeland, like dragging out the last Queen of Korea, raping her, then dousing her with oil and burning her alive.

They treated Americans brutally in Aleutian Islands and Guam, also.

This is one of the reasons I bristle when people suggest we should have invaded Japan rather than bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki.