The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #76
monster
I hear them call the tide

...and what if they were called Ocean and Mary and you could only interview one?.......
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #77
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
But if you could only interview one of them? Which one would you choose?
I'd interview the one who has the most experience....unless that person was named Moonbeam.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #78
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
...and what if they were called Ocean and Mary and you could only interview one?.......
If they were named Ocean and Mary, we'd have another freaky name in the unemployment line.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #79
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
might also find someone who comes to work with a green mohawk, tatoos a swastika on their forehead, and pierces their cheek after a month on the job and who shows up late everyday.
True. That kind of behavior certainly wouldn't happen with guys named Charles, Sid, Ted, or Mike.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #80
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I wrote a poem titled Needius Worse than Ever based on a real man named Needius Grubb.

I have taken care of a woman named Tequila.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #81
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I have taken care of a woman named Tequila.
Taken care of?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #82
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

you should also throw away half the resumes without even looking at them to eliminate all the unlucky candidates.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #83
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
you should also throw away half the resumes without even looking at them to eliminate all the unlucky candidates.
Awesome!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #84
Cloud

so, I guess if you name your kid "Barack" he'll never get anywhere in life, huh? Like, say, becoming a Senator?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #85
lookout123

The name issue is a valid discussion if everyone drops the knee jerk sensitivity for a minute. I've long held the belief that names DO matter. They aren't the end all be all ingredient in a person's fate, but they do matter, with boys especially. I have always said that some names will either lead the boy to be a super stud that everyone flocks around or a nerd that is left out and picked on. Evidence is only anecdotal but it is interesting.

I went to school with two guys named Doyle. Physically they were built about the same, dad's worked in the same factory so same money, pretty much everything about them was at least similar. Except Doyle S was made fun of for his girlie dork name from the time we were in first grade. People would pick on him and he'd shuffle his feet and had no way to respond. Funny thing is that the other Doyle didn't get picked on for his name very often. He became a stereotypical badass. The girls swooned for him, the guys surrounded him, the football team caught his passes.

The name matters only to the degree that the kid is able to define his personality. Unfortunately, it can cause a kid some disadvantage early on that can carry into adult life.

I think the real problem in this thread is that Radar, as usual, takes a valid point, takes an extreme stance on it, and uses his usual tactics from How to Win Friends and Influence People to convince everyone of his superior viewpoint.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #86
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
so, I guess if you name your kid "Barack" he'll never get anywhere in life, huh? Like, say, becoming a Senator?
Barack? huh? OOOh, you mean Barry? Barry that guy from school? yeah I remember him.

Seems like Barack wasn't a such convenient name for a kid.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #87
glatt

Monster has already said this but we can't use our childhood experiences to guide us here on this one. Times have changed, and kids today are much more tolerant of "different" names than when we were younger. Since Columbine, the schools have gone to great lengths to teach kids not to bully each other and it appears to be working, based on what I've seen in my town.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #88
lookout123

Fair enough. I'm not overly concerned about either way. I named both my boys John so they're safe.

OK, not really. One of my boys has an older out of favor name, the other has a name that is ambiguous.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #89
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I grew up with a somewhat unusual name...I think what caused people to pick on my name was its existence in so many stories and commercial avenues..."Casey at the Bat", "Casey Jones", "KC and the Sunshine Band", "Kacey Fine Furniture", and "Casey the talking Robot" were all terms I was expected to answer to. I won't even begin to relay the slaughterings my 13 letter German last name got. I go by "Case" now, because it is more unique than "Casey" which seems to have grown in popularity since I was a kid. Also, my family always called me "Case." I find it odd when people call me Casey, now. What is even worse, though, is my brother's name is Justin.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #90
lookout123

I went to school with two casey's. They were both HAAAWWWT! They only got picked on until boys figured out how to get their attention in more appropriate ways.