The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Highball
Neophyte-in-training

Thumbs down

Since this thread took a wrong turn somewhere anyway, lets quit beating around the bush and spit out that wee stone.

In the beginning someone said “ban”, “Germany” and “opinion” in one sentence, the contradictory word they forgot to use was “free”. Being so we look forward not backward. The Stars and Bars was the official Confederate flag and it doesn’t mean anything more or less. Now it is a banner and it or the “rebel” battle flag can wave wherever it’s wanted, just not as high as our counties flag. Unless of course you show it disrespect, and we have a history of killing people who disrespect our flag.

We are an inherently free people, all people; and someday we will be that way, an inch at a time. No government, King or legislature gave us that freedom, and we didn’t win it in the Revolution. It is “self-evident” that we are “endowed” by the “laws of nature” as inherently free.

The Civil War was about principals, and the power to control them. The agricultural South was slowly dieing and loosing power, states, votes, electoral votes. The North, politically divided, still elected Lincoln over the South. Most Southern States could not muster enough individual votes to secede, but politically overrode the popular vote with their legislature. Kentucky and Maryland, although Southern could not muster enough support to secede. Much of Tennessee and other “Southern states” were lost because there just wasn’t enough rebellious support to hold on. Slavery was just an outside issue that turned on political control. Yes it was “states rights”, as opposed to “individual rights”, and our Constitution did give our Government the right to preserve those individual rights from all comers, including states.

Call it hat you will, slavery was part of that desire to have control over others, that is slowly lost it’s grip on humanity, again an inch at a time. To “ban” this or that is another effort to control others.

So then which is most important, individual rights or a minorities feelings?, even a Majorities feelings?

You know my vote.

Speaking of minorities, I’m a Nordic WASP, damn small minority these days, few and far between, but do you hear me complain? That’s not “white” cause I’m not white, and it’s not Caucasian, cause my genetic chain has never been anywhere near Caucasia.

Mostly I just want to be belly up at the bottom of that mud hole.

Next book please?
Highball is offline   Reply With Quote