The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Granola Goddess
I'll Have Sprouts With That

RFID'S

Heard a show on CBC that totally freaked me out. It was on Radio Frequency Identification Tags (spy chips).

What got me freaked out was the recent computer nerd who had it implanted in his skin because he kept losing his keys...all he needed to do was brush his hand against the door knob and it would open. He could log on to his computer the same way.

There are groups out there who are fighting this technology. Caspian is one of them. Alot of religious fundamentalists also believe that this is the "Mark Of The Beast".

A former US government official wants it implanted in human beings in 10 years. These chips are already present in packaging - IBM computers...televisions...etc. Just look for the EPC tag. It's used for inventory now...but in the future it could be imbedded in shoes...carpet...doorways...etc. to track people.

http://www.spychips.com/index.html
Old 02-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

1+1 = 3 ... Truth is Lies... Big Brother is Watching You... Shop at Wal Mart... Don't Smoke...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
mrnoodle
bent

As long as Bush doesn't listen to terrorists' phone conversations, I'm okay with this.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Elspode

Should be a lot more opportunities for that sort of eavesdropping once the ports operation contract goes to UAE, huh?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
mrnoodle
bent

I can't stand the stupidity of politicians. Time for a monarchy. I vote for UT for king.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Granola Goddess

I guess we could always get one of these.

http://www.tagzapper.com/
Old 02-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

EZ-Pass, HomeAgain pet ID tags, chipping your pets, getting yourself chipped to carry your medical history, and OnStar are all ways of getting people used to this technology being part of their lives.

(I don't use any of the above)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

anybody here use a cell phone?
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
glatt

My key fob for work, the HID Prox Key II, only transmits an inch or two. My Metro SmartTrip card also only transmits an inch or so. Both are linked to databases that contain all my personal information. Depending on how much the databases are shared, "they" know all about my comings and goings. Nevermind my credit card purchases. It is a little worrysome that my privacy is slipping away.

Mostly, though, I'm pissed that my new office building has tvs in the elevators, constantly pumping commercials at me as I avoid eye contact with strangers.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
EZ-Pass, HomeAgain pet ID tags, chipping your pets, getting yourself chipped to carry your medical history, and OnStar are all ways of getting people used to this technology being part of their lives.
You know, I used to think that "ET-The Extraterrestrial" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and other "nice alien" movies were the government's way of getting us ready to be told that Roswell was for real...
Old 02-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granola Goddess
Heard a show on CBC that totally freaked me out. It was on Radio Frequency Identification Tags (spy chips). ... A former US government official wants it implanted in human beings in 10 years. These chips are already present in packaging - IBM computers...televisions...etc. Just look for the EPC tag. It's used for inventory now...but in the future it could be imbedded in shoes...carpet...doorways...etc. to track people.
Where have you been? This has been a concern even 15 years ago. Once you buy clothes with RFID, then anyone can track you as long as you wear that clothing. So is a need for the medication that would disable an RFID chip. But does it happen? How would you know?

This all goes right back to the old discussion even hear about Identify Theft and whether you even have a right to protect you Identity. We don't even let you protect your credit rating (except once a year and only if you know how to do it for free). We don't define what others (and 'the powers that be') can and cannot do. Some here even applaud George Jr for wiretapping Americans without court orders.

So yes, there is a problem. Part of that problem is that Granola Goddess has only recently learned about RFIDs and the so many ways it can be used against us. That means it will also be so easy to hype her fears as well as keep her naive about the real threats created by RFIDs.

Fundamental underlying principles also apply to this previous discussion in The Cellar: Are you Screwed - National ID originally on 17 May 2002. RFID is but the tip of a massive iceberg which has been made even more problematic now that the president of religious extremists would say it is good to use RFIDs to make sure you don't commit adultery.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #12
Granola Goddess

Well yes tw, I know they've been around for a long time. RFID's first started in the 60's...But just recently someone (not working for the goverment) embedded it under their skin. That's the point I'm trying to make here.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granola Goddess
But just recently someone (not working for the goverment) embedded it under their skin. That's the point I'm trying to make here.
And the cited URL talks about the threats provided by such devices. Yes they have both great advantage and threat. What was once a major innovation - the Universal Product Code - is now becoming obsolete technology. But with the next generation of technology, RFIDs (and other equivalents), we have a large and looming series of problems that most today simply deny.

The point made was that Identity Theft, discussed here long ago, is still not taken seriously. We still have no program to address this problem. For example, lose your social security number and your economic life becomes a disaster. This because we use a SS number for purposes it was never intended. Same with a driver's license.

If we don't even address identity theft - a problem that is finally becoming apparent to most people and was not five years ago - then imagine the problem created by something that will happen no matter what we do - RFID devices. And yes, smart cards read by nearby radio devices (that only work inches away) can also be read by devices many feet distant with current technology. So what protects them?

The problem exists. As a nation, we are not even doing necessary research to combat identify theft. The RFID problem is looming - and also being ignored. Ignored by an economy that still uses SS and driver's license numbers for identity. Classic when a nation does not comprehend technology until it causes destruction. What is it? 20 or 40% of Americans have now had their identity stolen? The only reason we know of this is because CA passed a law demanding the victims be informed. Other states don't even have such identity protection laws. Imagine the exponentially increasing possibilities when everything we buy contains RFID.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #14
tw

Another piece of a puzzle called Personal Privacy is discussed in this article from EE Times:
Secure or not, RFID tag adoption is in the cards

An underlying story that directly affects RFIDs worries about hash codes that may soon fail to provide privacy and protection:
Quote:
The National Institute of Standards and Technology ran the program that resulted in AES, but complained last year that it lacked the resources to develop a similar program for hash functions. "My guess is they [NIST] will get pushed into doing this again," said Rivest in an interview after the panel.

Last edited by tw; 02-23-2006 at 06:38 PM.