The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Oh, My...

So much has happened to my family lately, and not much of it has been good. It has, in fact, been *so* dire, that my entire worldview has been slowly slipping through my fingers like so many grains of sand. I have been seeing myself become increasingly cynical, seeing negativity everywhere.

Just yesterday, I made a statement to the effect that "there's something wrong with *everything*; there's a bad vibe going through the universe". Yes, I was committing what I would call "Pagan Original Sin"...I was failing to hold onto and believe in my own basic tenets. Out of that was forming the notion that people, in general, were jerks. I was in a bad place inside.

This morning, I sit here with tears rolling down my cheeks, because those cynical, destructive notions have been proven to be very, very wrong. This morning, I discovered that there are indeed good people in the world. Here, on the threshold of our annual season of giving and sharing, someone has done something for my family completely unsolicited, out of the blue...and I am stunned and touched beyond my ability to express. I am grateful beyond my ability to measure - not for what was done, precisely (although what was done is something so unbelieveably generous and selfless that I am humbled by it), but because my hope was given back to me because of what was done.

My friends, if I have been coming across here on The Cellar as being overly cynical, beaten, or desperate, I apologize. I *know* with my heart of hearts that things are not, cannot be as awful as they seem to be, but sometimes it takes a slap in the face to snap me around. Today, I got that slap, and it was administered with love and kindness and generosity. It was a slap in the face with a mink gauntlet.

For this, I am truly grateful. For the knowledge that such people exist, I am eternally blessed.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:05 PM   #2
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

No matter what retain your sense of humour. A good pagan always knows to keep laughing? Scare the heebeejeebee boogey boys away with your riotous laughter. And gratitude. Unlike most I appreciate your humility, it's a dead language and I usually fancy those lost clauses the most.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what comes around goes around, no?

you're a good person. you've been tested. you've been rewarded.

i'm glad for you. at the same time, i'm a fair bit curious as to the nature of the boon.

did xoxoxobruce send you a big bag of cash?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

You're a good egg, Ep...hang tough and stay strong.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim

i'm glad for you. at the same time, i'm a fair bit curious as to the nature of the boon.

Of course not, all my money is spent on the Ho(s).
Old 11-20-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
marichiko

It's called a gift of grace, Patrick. Thank you for reminding us all (and me in particular) that such things do happen. I have been so horribly depressed myself, wondering how I can go on and why I should even bother to try. I cannot even begin to express how very black the world appears to me tonight. Thank you for sending out a message into the night that the possibility of a single candle exists somewhere. I am glad for your good fortune, whatever it was. Write on, my friend!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:48 AM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim

I appreciate that, LJ...I really do. I try very hard to be so. I know I often sound a bit bizarre and intolerant, but I truly do spend most of my time trying to be a decent parent, employee, human being. I do not do anything I do with any expectation of reward other than a happy family, a paycheck and the respect of my fellow humans.

It would be inappropriate for me to comment on the nature or the source of the "boon", and so I won't. I know you'll understand.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:17 PM   #8
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Smile

Sending good wishes your way, Elspode. Glad that you've been given a turning point.
With respect.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

*hugs Patrick* Keep fighting. When you give up is when all hope is lost. As long as there is hope, there is will, and vice versa. I've been in that dark place, and I emerged battered, but bettered.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
So much has happened to my family lately, and not much of it has been good. It has, in fact, been *so* dire, that my entire worldview has been slowly slipping through my fingers like so many grains of sand. I have been seeing myself become increasingly cynical, seeing negativity everywhere.

Just yesterday, I made a statement to the effect that "there's something wrong with *everything*; there's a bad vibe going through the universe". Yes, I was committing what I would call "Pagan Original Sin"...I was failing to hold onto and believe in my own basic tenets. Out of that was forming the notion that people, in general, were jerks. I was in a bad place inside.
Oh man can I relate. Except mine is more like, "Life sucks ass".

Quote:
This morning, I sit here with tears rolling down my cheeks, because those cynical, destructive notions have been proven to be very, very wrong. This morning, I discovered that there are indeed good people in the world. Here, on the threshold of our annual season of giving and sharing, someone has done something for my family completely unsolicited, out of the blue...and I am stunned and touched beyond my ability to express. I am grateful beyond my ability to measure - not for what was done, precisely (although what was done is something so unbelieveably generous and selfless that I am humbled by it), but because my hope was given back to me because of what was done.
And in the end, that's all we have is hope. But, isn't the "universe" great...when it hears our cries for help, it delivers when you least expect it.

Quote:
My friends, if I have been coming across here on The Cellar as being overly cynical, beaten, or desperate, I apologize.
Please..nothing wrong with being a human being.

Quote:
I *know* with my heart of hearts that things are not, cannot be as awful as they seem to be, but sometimes it takes a slap in the face to snap me around. Today, I got that slap, and it was administered with love and kindness and generosity. It was a slap in the face with a mink gauntlet.

For this, I am truly grateful. For the knowledge that such people exist, I am eternally blessed.
As we all are. Peace and blessings.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote