The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
rkzenrage

US Military Treatment Of Atheists

I'm sure many of you have heard about the disparaging remarks made by military personnel about Tillman and his family. Hopefully you were as disgusted by this as I. I wanted to think it was because of the publicity.
But, I was wrong and I knew I was.

Quote:
Wayne Adkins cites religious discrimination against atheists as his reason for resigning from the Army National Guard.
I have posted documentation of the military unlawful mishandling of my formal OE complaint here: http://www.nakedemperor.netfirms.com/
Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Now we know the real reason there are no atheists in foxholes.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
rkzenrage

Exactly, bigotry.
I have always found that little saying to be incredibly insulting, some health care morons use it too.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
lookout123
changed his status to single

there was no shortage of atheists while i was in.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
rkzenrage

Good to hear.
I think it depends on who you are serving with and who your CO is.
It should not. Religion should never enter into it, it is a personal matter alone.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
rkzenrage

Reprinted from another board, with permission.

Quote:
I take a great deal of offense to the "No Atheists In Foxholes" comment that is prevalent in the military. I am a member of both the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers (MAAF) and Atheists in Foxholes (AiF).

I have been involved in several EO (Equal Opportunity) complaints against military chaplains and commanders for their complete and total disregard for Atheists. I have posted on some of these before.

I got into a little bit of trouble recently. At a briefing where the chaplain gave an invocation, he said the 'no atheists...' comment. I said, a little too loudly, "And there are no Christians in prison either." Since I was overheard by quite a few people, I was asked to repeat my comment. I did so very loudly. The conversation proceeded as follows:

"How could you make such an offensive statement sergeant?"

to which I replied, "What are you talking about, sir, I am not even here."

"What do you mean?" He said.

"Well, SIR, if there are no atheists in foxholes, as you claim; I could not possible be here in Iraq." Perhaps my crisis of faith has confused me, SIR, but it is you who have offended me."

I walked out and got a stern talking to about disrespecting officers. I won't ever put up with that shit. I didn't get into any formal trouble but I sure as hell held my ground. And I will do it again and again and again...

It is the disregard that pisses me off. I will sit through the invocation with my head held high and fully respect my comrades and their religious choices. I won't sit idly by while some asshole disregards mine.
Personally I feel that the God Corps are a BLATANT infringement on church and state and should not exist in any form or fashion and should be disbanded.
They should be offered a door or a weapon and given a choice.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
SamIam

I presume the briefing mentioned in the quote above was a required one. As a result, everyone had to sit through the chaplain's trite little invocation. This is annoying if one is an atheist, but not the end of the world. The military does not force religious service attendence upon its members. If one is going to go on some crusade against the armed forces, I can think of at least a 100 better causes, rather than whether some idiot wants to make a blanket pronouncement on people's responses when facing death.

I've always heard that most people call for their Mommy, for what its worth.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

His crusade isn't against the military, it's against Christians.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I presume the briefing mentioned in the quote above was a required one. As a result, everyone had to sit through the chaplain's trite little invocation. This is annoying if one is an atheist, but not the end of the world. The military does not force religious service attendence upon its members. If one is going to go on some crusade against the armed forces, I can think of at least a 100 better causes, rather than whether some idiot wants to make a blanket pronouncement on people's responses when facing death.

I've always heard that most people call for their Mommy, for what its worth.
I would love to hear any stories of an atheist stating that they would not attend a meeting with Chaplains, which are officers (a travesty).
Hilarity would ensure, I'm sure.
I FULLY support our troops, that is why I am against this breech of the separation of church and state and forced intrusion of their personal worship on their behalf.
There are so many things one can do than fight for the rights of our soldiers in these times?
Please, enlighten me.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
His crusade isn't against the military, it's against Christians.
Wrong as usual.
I love Christians and don't care what people believe, just what they do.
No unsolicited evangelizing, especially door-to-door/phone calls (religion or sales should be illegal).
No breech of church and state of any kind and all current needs to be eliminated. Specific to this thread the god corps.
No abuse of children by teaching them if they offend god by "sinning" or leaving the "faith" they will eternally tortured in god's personal dungeon that he created specially for them.
No using the "faith" to justify hitting kids.

Once these things stop, I will stop saying a word.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I love Christians and don't care what people believe, just what they do.
To Christians, belief is action. What we do is what we believe. Of course it varies, sometimes greatly, between Christians exactly what they believe. But in the end Christians are called to act on their beliefs. Believe and do are one in the same for us. I'm sorry that makes you hate us.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
rkzenrage

That is why 98% of those in prison are theists?
I hate no one.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
That is why 98% of those in prison are theists?
I hate no one.
Any Christian who claims to be perfect is a hypocrite. Everyone does stupid stuff, everyone makes mistakes, some make extremely bad ones. To be a Christian does mean that you are perfect or are even striving to be. It means that you are trying to better the world around you and serve your fellow man as Jesus directed.
I shouldn't have used the word hate, but I think you see my point.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
rkzenrage

Atheists can't try to make a better world? I've been involved in charity my entire life, had several that I stared and ran with my wife.
Being religious means nothing when it comes to morality, morality is genetic.
It is how we, as apes, as tribal animals, became apex animals on this planet, we get along... that is all.
Reading some special invisible friend into it just does not work.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
rkzenrage

http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/

Quote:
“There are no Atheists in foxholes!”

It’s a claim that is repeatedly made by many politicians, media pundits and especially preachers. But is it true?

No!

There ARE in fact many “Atheists in foxholes” who have served and are serving our country proudly, in all branches of the armed forces. In fact, nearly thirty million Americans do not profess a religious belief. This group includes many people who describe themselves as Atheists, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists or with other appellations.

Isn’t it time that we acknowledged and saluted them?

That is what the “Atheists in Foxholes” event is all about! It is an opportunity for these many men and women to make a proud statement that they, too, are serving their country. It is also an event where the rest of us — including our political and military leaders — can recognize and honor these “Atheists in Foxholes.”