Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

Design A Playground for Grownups

I just had one of those oh, so fun Random Thoughts. Remember how much fun you had playing on the playground as a kid? (or with your kids?) But if you go to a playground now, there's only so much you can do. Your ass won't fit in the swings, unless it's the soft-bottomed kind that makes your legs sort of twist inward on themselves. You can't climb stuff like you used to, and you're probably too heavy for the slide. The monkey bars are my favorite -- I can finally get all the way across them. Yeah, 'cause I'm basically walking and pretending to reach for the bars.

There's a playground near where we used to live that's all made out of heavy duty wood and actually has some adult-scale stuff to do. Like the spinny-tire thingy, some balance stuff, a sort of bouncy bridge. I like those wet playgrounds too, you know the kind with water spraying everywhere, except that I tend to trample kids when I get water in my eyes and they look at me like I'm some kind of nutroll.

To heck with the kids' stuff. If you were to design a playground Just For Adults - that is, a public, outdoor playground (so no sex stuff . . . I mean "adult" as in "adults use it" not in the NSFW sense) what would be there?

Let's encourage actual physical activity, and keep it in the spirit of the playground - nothing virtual, nothing passive. I mean, you know, big adult-scale see-saws, climbing walls, etc.

And . . . wouldn't that be COOL?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote