The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
glatt

Need new desktop PC advice

Our existing PC is showing its age, and I think it's time for a new one. (I think it's about 8 years old. Running XP. The small hard drive is 90% full, and I've been moving as many files as I can to an external hard drive to free up space. The DVD drive failed years ago, and the DVD burner works intermittently. I upgraded it to maximum RAM about 4 years ago, so no improvements to be made there.)

I want to get a Windows 7 machine while I still can because I have one at work and am familiar with Windows 7. I haven't been following the current state of things, so I don't know what's good. I'd like to spend under $500. What specifications should I look for in a machine? How much RAM? What speed processor? What kind of processor? We don't do gaming, but our current PC has analog stereo audio inputs that I have really grown to love, so I'd like a halfway decent audio card. Otherwise it's typical home office work. Web browsing. Some YouTube videos. Addicting Games. That sort of thing.

Who makes a good PC? We've been happy with this Dell, but are there other equally good brands out there? Who do I buy from? Is NewEgg the place to buy?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote