The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

At last...a movie that both Christians and Pagans can watch together, and both groups walk away satisfied.

Anyone else see it yet?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I have, and all I can say is damn, just damn...

This was one of the first, if not the, first fantasy books that I ever read and what this film did was bring back that sense of awe and power that much of today's fantasy, and most of the rest of the books on the shelves, lack.

When a movie tightens your chest and stops your breathing it has something special.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

I saw it on Friday, worrying if they would not be faithful to the book, but I need not have worried about it. The White Witch seemed to lack something to me, but I cannot put my finger on it. I enjoyed the movie, but something was missing to give me a "Wow I must own this when it comes out on DVD" kind of feeling.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
seakdivers
Icy Queen

My 13 year old daughter saw it, and she really liked it but said that it didn't follow the book.
The first things she said when she got home (in a disappointed/ whiny 13 year old voice) were "there was no tunnel in the book" and "there was no frozen waterfall in the book".

Guess I will have to go see for myself.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I took the kids on friday night to see it at The Strand in Old Forge. They loved it. It was very engrossing, and moved swiftly. There were a few scenes that looked obviously 'green screened', though. In particular, when they were up in the mountains, the background contrast level was much lighter than the foreground. Aslan was well done, and Mr Beaver was excellent. The Centaurs and Minotaurs were really cool, too. Ripley(5yr old) got scared when the wolves were chasing the kids, but overall, good for kids and parents. go see it on the big screen. it's worth it.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
megalicious
Kinda New Member

narnia

Yes I saw last week. Can you believe the movie is already for sale on eBay? Actually, I loved the movie and I might go and see it in theatres because watching a movie on your laptop isn't the same as the big screen experience.
megalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

An old lady sitting next to me asked if she was in the right theater during the bombing scene. I wasn't 100% sure myself, since I had arrived "late" (ie in time to see the last preview), and had hurried into the theater without seeing any signs. Later, she literally jumped half a foot when Edmund was stepping over Maugrim.

I did enjoy the film a lot. I'll echo lumberjim's effects comments, with respect to bluescreening as well as the creature effects. I'll also echo seakdivers' daughter's comments - the bits that made the least sense were the wolf chase through the tunnel and on the ice raft, and they were also the bits that were added by Hollywood.

One bit that I wish hadn't been omitted was the gifts to the Beavers. I mean, come on. They wait a hundred years (or whatever portion of which they've been alive), and Father Christmas all but ignores them? For the Pevinsies, it hasn't even been one year since they were last visited!

I'm looking forward to the other books, especially the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I am interested, though, in how they'll handle the Muslim stuff in the later books.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalicious
Yes I saw last week. Can you believe the movie is already for sale on eBay? Actually, I loved the movie and I might go and see it in theatres because watching a movie on your laptop isn't the same as the big screen experience.
I'm thinking that Ebay will probably quash such sales. Peer to peer is one thing, but selling is another thing entirely.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
glatt

I'm a little late to the party. I just got a chance to see Narnia last night when my visiting mother-in-law offered to babysit.

Damn. Just damn. That movie was GOOD.

I read the book as a kid about 25 years ago, and didn't remember all the plot turns, so it was even suspensful for me. Bonus! I couldn't remember what happened to Edmund. I have no idea how faithful it was to the plot line, but I do know that it really captured the feeling of the book, and the few things I remembered from the book we in there.

What an awesome movie! If you haven't seen it, you should go. It is really good. My wife agreed. We were both really glad we saw it in the theater.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

I'm really torn. I did enjoy the books when I first read them; I understand the movie is well-executed. However, as a nonbeliever, I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view:
Quote:
Of all the elements of Christianity, the most repugnant is the notion of the Christ who took our sins upon himself and sacrificed his body in agony to save our souls. Did we ask him to? Poor child Edmund, to blame for everything, must bear the full weight of a guilt only Christians know how to inflict, with a twisted knife to the heart. Every one of those thorns, the nuns used to tell my mother, is hammered into Jesus's holy head every day that you don't eat your greens or say your prayers when you are told. So the resurrected Aslan gives Edmund a long, life-changing talking-to high up on the rocks out of our earshot. When the poor boy comes back down with the sacred lion's breath upon him he is transformed unrecognisably into a Stepford brother, well and truly purged.
...[Aslan] is an emblem for everything an atheist objects to in religion. His divine presence is a way to avoid humans taking responsibility for everything here and now on earth, where no one is watching, no one is guiding, no one is judging and there is no other place yet to come. Without an Aslan, there is no one here but ourselves to suffer for our sins, no one to redeem us but ourselves: we are obliged to settle our own disputes and do what we can. We need no holy guide books, only a very human moral compass.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
glatt

This movie has as much religion in it as Star Wars does. Just watch the movie as an action adventure. It's a good one. You won't get the feeling that Christianty is being shoved down your throat unless you are going out of your way looking for it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

First, why would a Pagan want to see a movie in which the villain is a Witch? Would anyone tolerate a movie in which the movie was an evil Jew? Second, why would a Pagan want to see a movie that is an obvious Christian analogy? Why would straight people want to see Brokeback Mountain?
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon
First, why would a Pagan want to see a movie in which the villain is a Witch? Would anyone tolerate a movie in which the movie was an evil Jew? Second, why would a Pagan want to see a movie that is an obvious Christian analogy? Why would straight people want to see Brokeback Mountain?
A rather blinkered attitude, surely? How can you hope to make informed decisions and participate in meaningful discussions of topics if you simply ignore that which does not fit in with your view of the way things should be?

Perhaps this is best demonstrated if we extend that idea -why would any human want to see a movie where a human is a villain?

Why would straight people not want to see Brokeback mountain, incidentally? I'm off to see it next week with a group of straight friends with life views encompassing almost the entire political and religious spectrums.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

Oh, and I agree with the majority about LWW -it was very true to the book but almost spoiled in places by the few "additions". My 6 year old was very scared by the first half, though. He doesn't like the silent suspence thing, where you are made to expect something to jump out at you. I thought the fact that he felt it as strongly as if he were in the movie demonstrated how well the movie was made in those parts.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
You won't get the feeling that Christianty is being shoved down your throat unless you are going out of your way looking for it.
Which it what makes me curious how they'll handle the last couple films...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote