The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Our entire species is getting lazier and lazier. Most people these days would prefer having ashes handy as opposed to a trip to the cemetary.
That's strange, I don't consider it laziness at all. I think cremation is a lot smarter--I mean, how retarded is it to spend thousands on elaborate coffins and take up acres and acres of land for rotting flesh? If it's not possible to donate every single organ and body part I have by the time I die, then I want to be cremated. And I don't want my family feeling obligated to mourn forever over my ashes, either.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Exactumundo !!!
Use what parts you can and cremate the rest !!!
Hold a small party/memorial service on a certin river ,
pop a beer and float my ashes down river in a good straw hat set on fire ,
ashes to ashes dust to dust , may your ashes enrich the earth you came from .
Old 12-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #18
jinx
Come on, cat.

Our house is located in the Elverson Historic District (#25 on the architectural inventory). A couple generations of Mengel's lived here throughout the 18 and 1900's (scroll down).
Anyway, A few weeks ago I was getting packed for vacation the next morning, wearing sweats and a flannel... and also getting ready for an xmas party that night, so I'd had my hair put up earlier that day and was in a major rush. Someone knocked at the the door and I'm muttering to myself that they're gonna think I'm a nutcase when I answer. I open the door and two ladies greet me and apologize, because I'm gonna think they're nuts, but their father had recently died and they were just at his funeral service. Apparently one of his dying wishes was to be cremated, and to have his ashes spread in the yard of his family home, now my family home.
So they had a little service out in the yard and spread the old guy about my forsythia and cherry trees.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #19
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
That's strange, I don't consider it laziness at all. I think cremation is a lot smarter--I mean, how retarded is it to spend thousands on elaborate coffins and take up acres and acres of land for rotting flesh? If it's not possible to donate every single organ and body part I have by the time I die, then I want to be cremated. And I don't want my family feeling obligated to mourn forever over my ashes, either.
Point taken. Maybe I should have worded that differently, as reading back on my post it does seem a little harsh.
Makes no difference anyway. The near future generations will be cremated by default due to lack of resources. I agree with you on the fact that it is a waste of money and property to bury the dead, but somehow it just seems more respectful. The more I think about it the less strongly I feel that way tho.....The way of the future.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:35 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

We discussed the Sedlec Ossuary before.

I think I can go to bed now that I finally scratched that itch at the back of my brain.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #21
smithgr
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
That's strange, I don't consider it laziness at all. I think cremation is a lot smarter--I mean, how retarded is it to spend thousands on elaborate coffins and take up acres and acres of land for rotting flesh? ....
Here in Ohio, even if you choose to be cremated, you still have to buy the casket. Then they either burn the casket with you or they clean it up and sell it to the next family. Not really sure. What I am sure of is that the law is directly a result of funeral directors losing revenue from people deciding to be cremated instead of being buried.

Cardboard with vinyl woodgrain for me please.
smithgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ohio has just been added to my shit list.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As Woody Allen once said, scatter my ashes to the four winds... and get back the deposit on the urn.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #24
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgr
Here in Ohio, even if you choose to be cremated, you still have to buy the casket. Then they either burn the casket with you or they clean it up and sell it to the next family. Not really sure. What I am sure of is that the law is directly a result of funeral directors losing revenue from people deciding to be cremated instead of being buried.
According to Federal law, the coffin must be burned with the body.
It is illegal to resell a coffin.
Biohazard contaminants, and ... other material ... may have been deposited in the coffin, making it unsafe.
There are people who don't concern themselves with following the law, however...

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #25
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost
According to Federal law, the coffin must be burned with the body.
It is illegal to resell a coffin.
Biohazard contaminants, and ... other material ... may have been deposited in the coffin, making it unsafe.
There are people who don't concern themselves with following the law, however...
Making it unsafe for who? We sure as hell wouldn't want a corpse exposed to a biohazard.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For the funeral home employees.

When we were choosing a coffin for my Dad, we saw the heavy duty cardboard boxes and a beautiful knotty pine coffin that was put together with no metal. Well fitted joints with glue and dowels and if required they could add handles that would be removed before burning. It was pricey but a hell of a lot cheaper than a complete Viking ship.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:42 AM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't think my mom will let me burn her. She's a burier. There's an outside chance she'd be an eater, but well, I honestly think she'll end up being too tough.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote