The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Mrs. Parker
Mademoiselle martini

Give me more about Denver

I'm attempting to flee south Florida enroute Denver. I would love info on neighborhoods and dating for the mid thirties set. I am single and do not want surburban life. Can anyone recommend an older charming neighborhood with fixer uppers near to downtown and parks? I'm Miss HGTV and seek a house with architectural interest, a yard, and room for visitors that I can renovate and make my own. The neighborhood doesn't have to be upscale --- just want to walk my dog at night without being jumped. Also, are men in Denver interested in women their own age with brains, or is it more of the same Barbie craving culture that plagues south Florida and LA? Please advise.
Mrs. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
marichiko

There was recently quite the long thread about Denver. You might want to check that out. I like the Cherry Creek area for a Denver neighborhood. As for men, I think they're about the same everywhere. I'm VERY burned out on Colorado's Front Range and am hoping to leave it in the next few months. Personally, I'd suggest you try for Durango if you have your heart set on Colorado.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is "Mrs. Parker" a reference to something, or do you just enjoy the cognitive dissonance of having a "married" username while your first post is about being single?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Mrs. Parker
Mademoiselle martini

Hi Clodfobble. Funny you should ask about my username. My Mrs. Parker refers Dorothy Parker and her vicious circle. I'm a martini swilling creative type.

Maricheko --- thanks for your suggestions. I actually started this new thread because it appeared that the other lady moving to Denver was seeking something very different than me. Her focus, to me, seemed on neighborhoods with good schools for her kids in the burbs. I really am seeking info on neighborhoods of a different character. Also, because of my job, Denver is my only option. Besides, I really do need to be in a city. Any additional info is appreciated!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
marichiko

In that case, I would definitely go for the Cherry Creek neighborhood. I lived there as a single and liked it very much. Its a nice neighborhood - very upscale in places - that contains many fine old homes, some bordering on mansion status. Just a few blocks from the really snazzy part, there's a well kept up neighborhood that has many young professionals. Its an eclectic, safe area with many interesting people, right in the heart of Denver. Ten years ago, I rented a beautiful old duplex there with lovely hardwood floors, 2 bedrooms and a small fenced back yard for about $650.00/month. I imagine that place would go for around $900 or a $1,000 now - haven't checked the rents up there in a while, but a glance through the Denver Post would give you an idea. There's some nice clubs that you can go hear great live music at close by and you're just a stone's throw from the Capitol and downtown area. Cherry Creek also features some wonderful huge city parks, as well as the Denver Botanic Gardens.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

If you have lots of disposable income or a trust fund, there are lofts next to LoDo (lower downtown). Only about a million per. But hey, you get to watch Rockies games from your window.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Mrs. Parker
Mademoiselle martini

Thanks on the Cherry Creek info. I had always thought it was more of a country club type area. It sounds interesting. I am, however, not interested in renting. I'll be purchasing a house. Anyone aware of blue collar or "used to be dangerous old neighborhoods" that are now becoming safer and popular and still have fixer upper deals? A loft would be great, I love the modern aesthetics, but I really need a yard where I can garden and my dog can run around.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Mrs. Parker
Mademoiselle martini

Very interesting....I thought that the cellar was some informational bulletin board --- I found it in a google search. I have discovered otherwise and feel provincial for my "help me move" posts that must be such a yawn to you cellarites. I feel as though I've just crashed a party. And I do love that whores are welcome here.....
Old 03-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We'd help anyone who was polite about it, I think... as long as we weren't doing their homework.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #10
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Parker
Thanks on the Cherry Creek info. I had always thought it was more of a country club type area. It sounds interesting. I am, however, not interested in renting. I'll be purchasing a house. Anyone aware of blue collar or "used to be dangerous old neighborhoods" that are now becoming safer and popular and still have fixer upper deals? A loft would be great, I love the modern aesthetics, but I really need a yard where I can garden and my dog can run around.

Try the area near Washington Park which adjoins Cherry Creek (which btw is NOT all country club - many cool older homes in area and when I lived there I had a great back yard for my dog!). Aurora has its moments (though few and far between), and so does Littleton (kinda). There's always Golden which may be a bit of commute, but which I always had a sneaking fondness for, despite its being the home of Coors (BARF!)

Mrs. Parker, whatever you do, do NOT drink Coors! You will regret it!

And since you have crashed the party, please stay and party on!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Very interesting....I thought that the cellar was some informational bulletin board --- I found it in a google search. I have discovered otherwise and feel provincial for my "help me move" posts that must be such a yawn to you cellarites. I feel as though I've just crashed a party. And I do love that whores are welcome here.....
Well, there's sort of a give and take here. You should feel free to ask advice about your new home, and we should feel free to visit there and pass out on your lawn.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Mrs. Parker
Mademoiselle martini

No Coors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Well, there's sort of a give and take here. You should feel free to ask advice about your new home, and we should feel free to visit there and pass out on your lawn.
Fabulous!! If I get this job and actually get to make the move, I won't know a soul there. It's a fresh start, if you will. And I will need interesting new revelers to enjoy my fabulous parties. Further, I will definitely not be drinking or serving Coors --- in my opinion, it's nothing more than water with beer flavoring.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
marichiko

Quote:
Fabulous!! If I get this job and actually get to make the move, I won't know a soul there. It's a fresh start, if you will. And I will need interesting new revelers to enjoy my fabulous parties. Further, I will definitely not be drinking or serving Coors --- in my opinion, it's nothing more than water with beer flavoring.
I was in the supermarket checkout behind a couple of guys who were buying a 6 pack of Coors and a couple of bottles of spring water. The checker looked at them and said, "Why don't you just buy a six pack of the water, instead?"

Expect to find me passed out on your front lawn with a good bottle of Kentucky bourbon the day after you move in. I love a fabulous party, myself!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
mrnoodle
bent

I'd come too, but it's hard to do these days, what with the random breathalyzers and all. I do have a chart of "Hours to Zero BAC" that I make use of though.

Nobody likes a quitter.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #15
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

The Balistreri Vinyard
is supposed to be only 10 mins from downtown. But I don't know anything about the 'hood it's in.

Quote:
The winery and vineyard is located just 10 minutes from downtown Denver. When visiting you will be welcomed by one of the Balistreris, John Balistreri, his wife Birdie or their daughter Julie. We offer a complimentary tasting of our award winning wines and a tour of our wine cellar and winemaking facilities. The tasting room also offers wine related gifts, fresh cut flowers from the Balistreri greenhouses, beautiful wine gift baskets, and a few deli items that you can now enjoy with a glass of Balistreri wine in our new patio area. The winery is also available for private parties and events. To plan your own event, please vist our events page.
1946 E 66th Ave.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote