The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
rkzenrage

OHIO SCHOOL BOARD NEW ASSAULT ON TEACHING OF EVOLUTION

I hear dueling banjos.

OHIO SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS ARE CONSIDERING NEW ASSAULT ON TEACHING OF EVOLUTION, CHARGES AMERICANS UNITED

Church-State Watchdog Group Files Public Records Request Regarding Proposed Changes To State Science Standards

Some members of the Ohio Board of Education appear to be preparing for another assault on the teaching of evolution in public schools, says Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

Last month, board member Colleen Grady reportedly urged the Board of Education’s Achievement Committee to consider giving 10th-grade science teachers guidance on teaching evolution and other “controversial” issues such as global warming, cloning and stem-cell research.

Grady apparently put forward a proposal that would change the language of Ohio’s existing science standards in an effort to reflect religious criticism of evolution and other scientific principles. The proposal has not been publicly released.

On July 11, Americans United filed a request under the Ohio open records law that asks for copies of the Grady proposal as well as all documents and correspondence by the Board of Education and the Department of Education relating to proposed changes to the state’s science standards.

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, Americans United executive director, urged the Ohio board to reject any effort to reopen the dispute over science education.

“Public school students in Ohio deserve sound science education, not religious dogma masquerading as science,” said Lynn. “It’s time for Religious Right allies on the board to drop their unwise agenda and focus on policies that will benefit all of Ohio’s students.”

The teaching of evolution has sparked an ongoing battle in Ohio. In January, the board voted 9-8 to affirm state science standards that downplayed evolution. A month later, the board reversed itself and voted to drop language that singled out evolution for “critical analysis” and a lesson plan that promoted “intelligent design.”

But Americans United says Religious Right allies on the board have apparently not given up, and have now expanded their focus to encompass other issues. AU made the public information request in an effort to learn exactly what the board is trying to do.

The AU letter requests copies of various documents, communications and other materials, including any contacts the board may have had with the Discovery Institute or other Religious Right organizations that seek to teach their religious perspectives in public school science classes.

Americans United is a religious liberty watchdog group based in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1947, the organization educates Americans about the importance of church-state separation in safeguarding religious freedom.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Like Cleveland needed a reason for there to be *more* jokes about it...
Old 07-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
rkzenrage

I'm just happy its not FL this time.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Elspode

You'll Know the Tune...

"State Board of Education's comin'
forget those primate bones
Creation Theory they're contemplatin'
Brain dead in O-hi-o...

Gotta get down to it
The Church is dumbing us down
Using some myth from long ago.
What if you lived there and
Weren't an air headed clown?
Their IQ's are falling slow....
in O-hi-o......

Brain Dead in O-hi-o
Brain Dead in O-hi-o
Brain Dead in O-hi-o
etc..."
Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Quote:
I hear dueling banjos.
They musta done stole them banjers from Georgia.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh no, much closer than GA...West Virginia.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
rkzenrage

Class, The holy Grape made us all from what was once the center of all bagles... all hail holy Grape!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

It's not all organized religion, Els. I'm Catholic. My kids went/are going to Catholic grade school - where they teach evolution.

Not all those who believe in God and Jesus are brain-dead.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
Elspode

I've been having a bad run of offending Christians who walk their talk and have sense. No offense intended toward Bruce or Dar or anyone else who clearly understand their own religion, but whom I have clearly rankled a couple of times here lately.

My commentary is more directed at those who are actively trying to make Science a second hand citizen in the Truth game. If having enough power to declare your beliefs Truth in the absence of evidence becomes the way of things, then God help us all.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #10
rkzenrage

^That.
My wife is a Christian and my son goes to a very progressive Christian school. Just nothing like the rubes who think everyone should believe the way they should.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
It's not all organized religion, Els. I'm Catholic. My kids went/are going to Catholic grade school - where they teach evolution.

Not all those who believe in God and Jesus are brain-dead.
:applause:

Bravo, dar. Well spoken. I believe your situation is is far, far more common than is seen in today's public discourse. All the more reason for me to note it, support it, and applaud it.

Last edited by BigV; 07-20-2006 at 01:03 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
If having enough power to declare your beliefs Truth in the absence of evidence becomes the way of things, then God help us all.
I thought that having a belief in something = faith...and faith is having belief in things unseen?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
Elspode

Absolutely. So...why, if they have so much faith, do they feel compelled to declare that in which they have faith to be Absolute Truth?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I've been having a bad run of offending Christians who walk their talk and have sense. No offense intended toward Bruce or Dar or anyone else who clearly understand their own religion, but whom I have clearly rankled a couple of times here lately.

My commentary is more directed at those who are actively trying to make Science a second hand citizen in the Truth game. If having enough power to declare your beliefs Truth in the absence of evidence becomes the way of things, then God help us all.
I can only speak for myself, but you're fulla shit. You haven't rankled a hair on my chinny chin chin.:p

What you post is valid just because it's your view. It's doubly valid because there are many people that share that view...I know...I've heard 'em.

I post my take on things and sometimes I post other peoples takes that I've heard but haven't been presented.
It's important that we look at as many views as we can muster up here, because you can't have too many ingredients when you try to create a recipe you're happy with. After all, isn't the bottom line what works for you and your chosen blue blankie?

You add a valuable perspective to our mini-wikipedia and I apologize if I haven't made myself clear. Everybody knows Elspode Rocks.