The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #46
Flint
Snowflake

Jesus Christ
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #47
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

LOL sorry... I like cooking. I collect recipes of all kinds.
Most soups are good to freeze, and that helps me cook once a week for the whole week.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #48
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Frigg. I'm gonna be busy, but thanks Jaydaan!! They look great.

{off to file stupid long fingernails that keep hitting extra keys}
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #49
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Jay, I respect your recipe foo ... are all of these you've posted kitchen tested by you, or did you just do a search for them? (they could be good either way, but I'm interested in knowing how they actually turn out)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #50
Jaydaan

The first potato soup one.. its instant, its a good mix for lunches, but the real potato is better

The curry one... I didn't like.. I don't like curry

Creamed soup mix.. this is great for adding to other recipies, for a gravy or cream sauce.... on its own.. again its a mix, so leaves a bit of a powdered after taste.. if that makes sense.

The hearty soup mix.. I take the noodle out, cook the rest WAY longer than they say, then add the noodles.. otherwise the noodles go soggy.

Lentil I have not tried

Curried Zucchinni - curry again, but making this a creamed soup.. YUMM

Leek Yumm

split pea.. one of my favs... does not freeze well... so double batches are not a great idea

Crock pot chicken soup... anything in the crock pot is great, and this recipe is more like a stew really.... its only the size of the crock pot, and I cook in bigger batches usually, but for one meal, with lunch the next day. Its a good choice.
Potato soup Yumm.. crock pot again. But again not a freezable sop, so its ok.

Alphabet soup- son's fav.. sometimes we use meatballs instead of beef cubes, and always add onions and celery

Bean and pasta soup- This is good.. but I found the type of bean... dryish, so I use a can of 6 beans instead

Chicken and sausage gumbo - this is a hearty one... I love this with fresh tea busquits

Cheese soup- very good considering.. and they are not kidding about cutting things up fine.... chunkies just don't cut it in this one.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #51
Jaydaan

Beef stew- this one is good, I usually wing it but the V-8 made me curious. I liked it.

Salsa soup- This is great! helps with weight loss if you eat a bowl before every meal. Lots of acid tho.

mixed bean- its good.. if you take the time, otherwise just use a can or 2 of 6 bean mix instead. I use onions and celery as well.

Broccoli cheese- this is good, it works well as a mix for home made hamberger helper ( if you have leftovers)

Chickpea- this is ok.. not great, but if I make it again, I will add more veggies, and maybe some hot sauce.

Cold spinach- this is a good one for fancy lunches. Its not bad, but I am not a fan of cold soups.

Cream of Artichoke Soup- Yumm... but I love creamed soups... again not freezable

Egg and mushroom soup- supposedly good, my freind made it and loved it. I don't like eggs.. so have not tried it.

Oyster soup- its like creamed clam chowder really.. its not bad. I used smoked oysters.

Spanish Garlic- Its good for a base for other things.. I like my soups with substance....
Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #52
Jaydaan

Sweet corn- its a sweet soup, I add chicken to it sometimes too, and always onion and celery

Maritime chowder- its good.. if you are a fish person. I am not, so I use clams and shrimp

chilled peach- this is a great dessert.. I add a bit more Rum, and a few more peaches, and mix with 2 cups whipping cream, and partially freeze in fancy glasses.

Green chili soup- This is good.. better with a kick, I add a few hot peppers as well. The cream takes some of the kick away, so play with it a bit.

Chicken noodle- This freezes well if you freeze before adding the noodles. Again I add onions and celery ( actually any veggie I have at the time) I use basil instead of lemongrass tho.

Stairwell soup- This is quite good, I don't like olives usually, but this is ok. I use feta instead of mozza tho. And again.. onions.

Pizza soup- This is good... I use pasta sauce, instead of tomato soup ( 2 cans) This is a fun one for the kids.. hearty and healthy.

Tomato Basil- This is good...can be make thicker for a stew if you like ( we do)

Peanut soup- scary title.. but... actually really good. I would recomend heating your peanut butter up in the microwave first, and mixing with some water in a bowl with a blender. Otherwise it does not blend in well. I made it with just Chicken and Turkey for meat... it was like Thai chicken stir fry I had one...
Old 08-09-2006, 03:33 AM   #53
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

From The Complete Book of Soups and Stews by Bernard Clayton, Jr.; Simon & Schuster, 1984, ISBN 0-671-43863-8 -- it's got the best pea soup I've ever eaten.

Green Split Pea Soup With Wine

"A hint of mustard and sesame oil and a nip of wine and vinegar give this hearty soup a special character that sets it apart . . . There is no meat or meat stock among the ingredients." --B.C.

Ingredients:
1 lb green split peas, washed, drained
5 - 6 cups water, depending on consistency desired
1 bay leaf
2 tsp salt
1 cup minced onions
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup minced celery
1 medium potato, thinly sliced
2 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp thyme
several drops dark sesame oil (very potent)
3 TBSP vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley to garnish
black pepper, to taste

Wash and pick over split peas. In medium saucepan, cover peas with 5 cups water. Add bay leaf and salt.

Bring to simmer over medium-low heat and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. While peas are simmering, cook onions, garlic, celery, potato and carrots in a large covered skillet over low heat until vegetables are soft and translucent, about ten minutes.

Add contents of skillet to the peas and continue simmering 1 hour more, a total of 2 hours.

15 minutes before serving, add tomatoes, red wine, mustard, thyme, and the few drops of sesame oil, stirring to blend well. If the soup is getting too thick, add a cup or so of water. This is really the part that makes the soup extraordinary.

Just before serving, add vinegar, chopped parsley and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Serve with burgundy wine and a robust bread.

--------

It's just fine this way, though I prefer to make it with chicken stock as this is richer, and almost never seem to have the celery or the parsley around. Haven't missed either. A good way to have very thinly sliced carrots is to take a sharp vegetable peeler and whack away at the end of the carrot, making carrot coins about a sixteenth of an inch thick. Use your largest mixing bowl to catch the carrot coins in with this method, as they tend to fly about. That and have a care for your knuckles.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #54
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Has anyone made the obvious "soup to ducks nuts" joke yet, or will I have to?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #55
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I guess you will have to. They make jokes about ducks' nuts?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:05 AM   #56
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Is a "crock pot" the same as a "slow cooker"?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:13 AM   #57
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Yep Limey.

Hit me with it 3foot!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #58
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I think you expect too much of me.

Ya know "soup to nuts" as in the whole megillah.

So, "soup to (ducks) nuts". Aww my sister is right; leave humor to the professionals.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #59
MsSparkie
Curious Sagittarius

Those recipes are great! My fav soup is French Onion

or maybe I'll try this one:
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2006, 11:05 PM   #60
MsSparkie
Curious Sagittarius

'Soup Nazi' plans to franchise his store

Soup Kitchen