The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-25-2002, 11:14 PM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

OS comparison sites/books

Anyone know any good web sites or books that compare Windows and Linux, I'm writing a paper for class and need to include a section on the differences, been doing some googling and found a few interesting sites, but was wondering if anyone has anything that might be harder to find.
I acually need comparison between Windows 98, NT 4.0, 2000, and Linux, but anything would be of great help.

I'd really like statistics on stability, I know the main differences but I'd like to include some reliable statistics on which OS is more stable.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2002, 08:47 PM   #2
juju
no one of consequence

I've never needed any heavy-duty resources for this. The differences seem fairly obvious to me. I'm sure there must benchmarks, though.

How did your paper go?

paper paper paper. Hmph...that's a tricky word on dvorak.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:01 PM   #3
Cam
dripping with ignorance

My paper is actually going pretty well. I know most of the differences the problem was is my instructor specificly asked for sources, not just "your experience". But I found a few, I'll post them here after I'm done, especially the numerous sites I found that claimed Linux is more stable then any Microsoft operating systems but I'll make sure to include the 2 I found that claimed windows was more stable and secure just for Radars sake.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:54 PM   #4
juju
no one of consequence

My last day of class this semester is tommorrow, so I figured you'd already have turned it in. How much longer do you have?
Old 12-09-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Our finals week is next week. I have one final tomorrow, a final on Wednesday. Then next week I have two on Tuesday and one on Thursday. I will hopefully be on the road by one on Thursday.

When do you start spring semester, we start ours on the 14th.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:16 PM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

On the 13th. This is just about the easiest semester i've ever had. Thank god for easy classes! I'm a CS major, but I took some Anthropology classes as electives. Man, I have to tell you, those Anthropology majors have it so easy!