The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 AM   #16
sevenseven
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
What for? They still wouldn't mean any more to me than the boxes. I doubt if very many people coming here can.

Probably more important, this is an American board in English, for the most part. Personally, I'd like to keep it that way, so everyone can read everything, but that's not up to me.

I also believe, if sevenseven wants to communicate with Chinese people in Chinese, this is not the place for it. Why should UT finance their cultural revolution and risk the Chinese government having the Cellar blocked in China?
I can communicate with you in English even though my english is not as well as you.I only wondered whether I can register another ID in chinese character.But you read too much meaning of my original meaning.I come on China board too.I can type in Chinese in China board well.We have different thought really.Maybe I should consider you do not like China and its people come here.

Cultural Revolution was past not now!It was 30 years ago!Do not consider I am like chinese people 30 years ago.I was born in 1978AD.The cultural revolution ended in 1976AD.

Bye

Last edited by sevenseven; 12-07-2006 at 04:09 AM.
sevenseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I don't see why there'd be any problem with having Chinese usernames, personally. It's not like we wouldn't alter them into our own nickname version anyway :P Like 3foot, and 77.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #18
Ibby
erika

BN, my reading sucks almost as much as my writing. I can only read the very basics for getting around, for the most part.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseven
I can communicate with you in English even though my english is not as well as you.
Your English is fine.
Quote:
I only wondered whether I can register another ID in chinese character. But you read too much meaning of my original meaning.
No, that's not the problem. Most of the people that come here don't read Chinese and I doubt if many have Chinese installed in their PCs. Therefore, what shows up is a row of rectangular boxes. Then every time you post we see a row of boxes instead of a name and we say, ok, that's sevenseven...no problem. Then another person comes to the Cellar and decides they want to use a Chinese name also, but all we see is boxes and don't know who it is. And then another, and another. You see what will happen?...much confusion.
Quote:
I come on China board too. I can type in Chinese in China board well. We have different thought really.
Google "Han Clothing" and see how many places Chinese, especially college students, are posting about the push to return traditional Han clothing to common wear.
Question. Why did you post about Han clothing here?
I'm, very glad you did because I leaned some new things and found it very interesting. But, I'm not going to start wearing it and doubt if many here will. It really wouldn't be practical for wearing to work. So I doubt if you will achieve much except educating us in Chinese culture, which is great for us.
Quote:
Maybe I should consider you do not like China and its people come here.
No
Quote:
Cultural Revolution was past not now!It was 30 years ago!Do not consider I am like chinese people 30 years ago.I was born in 1978AD.The cultural revolution ended in 1976AD.

Bye
Thirty years ago you would have more to worry about than Han clothing. I'm well aware of the "Cultural Revolution", when it was and what it did. But, I say there is a cultural revolution going on right now, that is bigger and more important than anything that has happened in China since the "Long March". There have been more changes to the infrastructure and the culture, in the last ten years, than in the hundred years before that. Changes that will make China a completely different country than it has been.

You're welcome to post as often as you like, about whatever you want. But if you don't post in English, not many people here will read be able to read it.