The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Dangerous Imports

FDA really needs to crack down on imports, especially from one country. See if you can figure out which one (not a tough test). The threat could be worse than you see in the news. Anyone run across a good article about this overall threat, or have a good opinion?

Antifreeze in toothpaste

Contaminated wheat gluten in pet food

Banned antibiotics in fish shipped in to replace good ol' US Catfish

"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

They should, but we (well, I) have the choice to buy local products, too.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

We have similar issues here particularly with seafood from Asia. Antibiotics in not only fish, but also prawns etc mean that crops are grown more quickly with less attrition bringing the price down though not guaranteeing a high quality end product.

Of course, this makes life hard for both aquaculture and also wild caught fish and prawns here.

There's fairly good consumer awareness here though and regulations with regard to labeling are becomming more strict which again helps the consumer make a better choice.

Of course, there's always going to be people who will purchase the cheaper product even though it may be harmful or inferior quality.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Yes, but unfortunately, when I order fish at a restaurant, the likely hood that the server knows the source of the fish is highly unlikely. And to be frank, it's a pain in the arse-area to have to ask every time you eat out.

Even at the grocery, the source of the fish and shellfish is not obvious. I've literally had the butcher bring the box they unpacked the fish from so I could read the box. Amazing how many times the butcher is surpised by where the food comes from!
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Dangerous (to your eyes) import
Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
freshnesschronic
Professor

Dangerous imports?

does that explain ducky?
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Don't forget that lead was found in crayons made in China and sold in the US. Kids eat crayons. The people that made the crayons knew all about the lead and just didn't give a darn.

This is why I don't eat Chinese food. I used to work for a company that owned a large office building where one of the tenants was a Chinese restaurant. I saw the reports from the health inspections. Stuff that would turn your stomach inside out.

That is one country I just can't figure out. Lots to admire, lots to respect but lots to question.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yznhymr View Post
Yes, but unfortunately, when I order fish at a restaurant, the likely hood that the server knows the source of the fish is highly unlikely. And to be frank, it's a pain in the arse-area to have to ask every time you eat out.

Even at the grocery, the source of the fish and shellfish is not obvious. I've literally had the butcher bring the box they unpacked the fish from so I could read the box. Amazing how many times the butcher is surpised by where the food comes from!

Generally over here if you ask the question about where food comes from you'll be given an answer that's fairly close to accurate, particularly in the better restaraunts. It's probably a different system over here. Maybe there's more consumer awareness. Supermarkets and other food outlets have to correctly lable the origin of fresh produce or face heavy fines.

I can even tell what products come from the USA!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
This is why I don't eat Chinese food. I used to work for a company that owned a large office building where one of the tenants was a Chinese restaurant. I saw the reports from the health inspections. Stuff that would turn your stomach inside out.
I can't compare it to anything but I've heard that most restaurants are like that. Yes, even 5 star restaurants.

Quote:
That is one country I just can't figure out. Lots to admire, lots to respect but lots to question.
Ha, I agree. Yet, they probably say that about us too…
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The problem I see with China has been the disregard for the individual in favor of the state. In the new economy, entrepreneur has slithered in below the state, in the pecking order, and neither care about the individual Chinese.

It's not hard to extrapolate how much they care about the individual American,
Old 06-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Aliantha

The individual in China can do quite nicely for themselves if they've got the money to pay off the government.

Then again, that happens everywhere. The only difference is how overt the transactions are.