The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 AM   #16
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I would start with explaining what the problem is, then how to fix it. Two year olds want to please you.

"Uh oh, you made a mess - gotta clean it up"

While you're both cleaning it up...

"We don't throw food on the floor, look at the mess it makes" (keep it light/boring like SD said - don't make a big deal out of it)

Model appropriate behavior...

"I'm all done! Time to put my plate in the sink and wash my hands..."
I very much like this idea. Will take some work on my part NOT to make the drama. I'm not sure I could get her to "help" clean up though.
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
ferret88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
You have to keep the upper hand. If she wins this battle, it's just going to make the next one harder.
That's what I'm worried about. I know some children who, it could be said, wear the pants in the family.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #18
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88 View Post
That's what I'm worried about. I know some children who, it could be said, wear the pants in the family.
Do not fear.

Quote:
The greatest sign of success for a teacher is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist." -Maria Montessori, educator (1870-1952)
Old 07-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #19
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

My just-turned-2 yr old has done the same thing. I remove the plate once she begins to shuffle it around now and avert most disasters. If anything does make it onto the floor, I hand her a paper towel and sponge and have her clean, while I help and talk to her about not throwing things on the floor. I've showed her where the dirty dishes go (sink) and now she plops them over the edge, no matter what's in there. This is interesting if the sink holds something other than dirty dishes :p (which of course, she cannot see).

Two year olds are fascinating. They are growing and learning at an astounding rate, testing their limits and independence. I love it! I never yell at her because I don't want to stifle her creativity and interests, but merely guide her explorations in safe and acceptable ways.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
ferret88

Thanks Stormie.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #21
rkzenrage

I told my son, at two, that Santa was a vampire. That is why he only came out at night, and why you had to be asleep when he came or he would EAT YOU!
He wears red so the blood does not show and lives at the north pole because it is always night there. He never gets any older and leaves toys to lure you out of your room so he can EAT you!!!
So you better sleep tonight... love you... click.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
ferret88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I told my son, at two, that Santa was a vampire. That is why he only came out at night, and why you had to be asleep when he came or he would EAT YOU!
He wears red so the blood does not show and lives at the north pole because it is always night there. He never gets any older and leaves toys to lure you out of your room so he can EAT you!!!
So you better sleep tonight... love you... click.
That is HILARIOUS. I fully intend to NOT do the Santa thing and that's the best "Santa's not real" story I've ever heard.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #23
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88 View Post
I fully intend to NOT do the Santa thing and that's the best "Santa's not real" story I've ever heard.
We tried "Santa is not real." Didn't stick. He just had a glazed look when we talked about the real St. Nick. However, just to see what would happen, my wife said, "So, what do you think about Santa?" His eyes lit up and he started in on the reindeer, chimney, North Pole thing and didn't stop talking for about 15 minutes. We gave up. Santa is as real as your kids want him to be.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #24
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's fun for kids to believe in santa. It's also good for them to know the meaning of christmas whether it's a religious holiday for your family or simply a time to be thankful for all your blessings, particularly family.

A mix of both is good I think. Santa is a part of the magic of kids.