The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

What do you eat for breakfast?

This morning, Kitsune and I were having a discussion about the typical American breakfasts, and how neither of them really works for us.

The first type is the soulless, bland, healthy typical breakfast that you might make at home: some combination of toast, cold cereal, oatmeal, maybe half a banana, orange juice and coffee. This type also carries the stigma of being the type of thing our parents used to force us to eat before school.

The second type is much more fun to eat but a whole lot worse for you: eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, cheese, stacks of pancakes with butter and syrup, and so on.

Soon we were discussing what other countries eat for breakfast. For example, I remembered that during my trip to the Philippines, breakfast was typically a little bit of hot bread and then either a noodle soup or fried rice with chicken and vegetables.

So what, if anything, do you eat for breakfast? Hot or cold? Healthy? Home or out? Is it the same thing you ate as a kid?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'm looking for ideas and inspiration. I am very used to skipping breakfast for lack of anything good to eat. Hopefully, that can change soon.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
glatt

A large bowl of Wheaties with a handful of frozen blueberries sprinkled on top. I'd rather have this than anything else for breakfast. In the morning, I like quiet and routine. And please keep the talk at breakfast to a minimum. Just let me read the paper in peace.

If I'm traveling, and at a hotel or something, they never have Wheaties, so I'll mix it up a bit. Maybe have a yogurt and a muffin.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

My usual breakfast is two fried (free range) eggs, ham, fruit, and coffee. If I have rice and beans made ahead, I sub that for the egg/ham. I should do better.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

My breakfast varies. It could be oatmeal, or french toast, or fig bars from Metropolitan Bakery, or Raisin Bran, or bacon, omelet and wheat toast, or...those orange peanut butter crackers from the vending machine.

Every Friday, we get Dunkin' Donuts bagels and donuts at work, so today I had a raisin bagel with cream cheese. I'm thinking of having a donut, too.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

coffee, cream and sugar.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Bagel and cream cheese (flavors vary), four waffles with honey, approx six cups of cereal and whole milk and a banana on top. Usually some kind of drink, either juice, soda or gatorade.

Usually...sometimes I'm out of bagels.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
glatt

That's a huge breakfast Brian! And you are even skinnier than me, if I remember correctly. Is that your biggest meal of the day?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Currently muesli and semi-skimmed milk and a de-caff tea.
Next week when I sort my life out, I'm going back to fruit smoothies.

I actually enjoy both of the above.

Traditional English breakfast is a fry-up.
My parents have a healthier version every weekend. Theirs consists of:
Grilled bacon, grilled tomato, poached egg, baked beans, toast
Sausage (links) if they are ringing the changes, fried bread for Dad on a special occasion.

Standard can include mushrooms, tinned tomatoes, black pudding, any other type of eggs (fried is typical)
Options now tend to include coffee (rather than tea) and hash browns

The hotels I've stayed in in France, Italy, Spain have catered to Eurpoean guests (as opposed to mainly Brits). The standard breakfast there seems to include various meats, cheeses, bread products and cold hard-boiled eggs. Always with the eggs! Oh and yoghurt. And honey.

If you're half-board or B&B you can have a real feast and miss lunch. DON'T fill your pockets though! There are dire warning in all of the dining rooms warning patrons not to remove any items from the restaurant. Funnily enough, they're all in English
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I usually eat just whatever tickles my fancy. If I want a ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast, I am going to get it. I've even had a microwave lunch meal because I had a bad craving for it in the morning. Also, down here, a chicken biscuit is considered breakfast food. My Favorite! Mmmmm
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

During the week, coffee and a bagel, sometimes with an egg.
Sundays, we go out for breakfast so it's either hash and eggs or
biscuits and sausage gravy, and coffee. I'm usually working outside on the weekends, so no need for lunch with a big breakfast.
Otherwise, too many carbs, not enough fruit - although my SO is a vegetarian and I do love salads and stir fried veggies...
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

today:

Bowl of chocolate puffs cereal (generic) with nonfat milk. A large frozen blended mocha (homemade), plus large hot drip coffee.

Usually I have whatever is in the front / top of the the fridge. Or, on the counter. Sometimes fruit. Often I have my lunch brought from home for breakfast, sandwiches, etc.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Steel-cut oatmeal with blueberries, almonds and cottage cheese.

And lots of coffee. Actually, most mornings its just the coffee.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Sundae Girl, is your Dads fried bread just fried bread or french toast?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Steel-cut oatmeal
had to google that one
Old 07-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
had to google that one
Its the best way to eat oatmeal...low glycemic index and more fiber. I think it tastes better too. Now that Quaker Oats offers it you dont have to go to a health food store to get it.