The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
muffin
Complex Simpleton

Wink long distance cycling

hi, i am a student and have recently commited to a charity cylce which is about 250k over 2 days due to take place at the end of may. i have little experiance on a bike and none long distance but i am extremely commited to this as it is for a very good cause.

any way long story short i obviously haven't a notion how to go about training for this and is there anyone out there that could set me off on the right track?

any help rrreeeeaaaaaalllly appreciated
thanks
muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

This site has a lot of good information. This guide in particular.

The oversimplified version is that you just need to work up to being able to do an hour of cardio without being dead at the end of it. Eat right on top of the physical training.

You can ride pretty leisurely and crank out 125 km per day.

I guess I should have started with this: What's your current fitness level?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
muffin
Complex Simpleton

fitness

i have an ok fitness level can run 6k in half hour??? i am currently doing circuit training twice a week and gym twice a week, we do 3 circuits with about 15 stations and spend 30seconds, 40seconds, 30seconds on each station during the 1st 2nd and 3rd circuits, we do a mix of weights and core training, gym is pretty simple half hour on the threadmill with some exercises after, i wuz just wondering how i should go from cycling 0k a week to 125k a day. what distance should i start at? how often should i increase the distance and by how much?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin View Post
i have an ok fitness level can run 6k in half hour??? i am currently doing circuit training twice a week and gym twice a week, we do 3 circuits with about 15 stations and spend 30seconds, 40seconds, 30seconds on each station during the 1st 2nd and 3rd circuits, we do a mix of weights and core training, gym is pretty simple half hour on the threadmill with some exercises after, i wuz just wondering how i should go from cycling 0k a week to 125k a day. what distance should i start at? how often should i increase the distance and by how much?
Cycle 3 times per week. Do other types of cardio 1-2 other days per week. Try to cycle 12k in a half hour. Bump up the distance by 10 percent each workout until you hit 20k in a half hour. Then, for the next 12 cycling workouts add 5 minutes to your total time every other time you cycle, while trying to keep the same pace. After those workouts you will be doing an hour getting 30-40k per hour.

Now decide whether to emphasize speed, emphasize endurance or balance the two. What I would do is slowly work my way up to doing 2 hour rides broken into four segments of varying speeds (like 32 km/hr and 20 km/hr, with some short 1-3 minute sprints perhaps).

If you can do this you'll likely feel great doing your ride at a leisurely pace.

The week or two before your ride you might want to do some test rides. I think most people suggest doing 75% of your daily distance. Others suggest doing a full day's test ride.

Do you have any other criteria, personal or external? Do you have to cycle half one day and half the next? Do you want to cycle X hours and rest Y hours per day to achieve your 250k?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Probably be a good idea to talk to Cyclefrance. Worth sending him a PM maybe? Mention that it was suggested you contact him
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
muffin
Complex Simpleton

not much criteria we have to cycle about 110k on the first day and the remaining 140k on the second we dont have to carry any backpacks or extra gear there will be a follow car with these. wheather should be fairly neutral more than likely rain.

my only problem with cycling is my stamina, gimme a pair of runners and i could run all day but cycling was never one of my favourite hobbies but i am determined to do this.

hey thanks for all yer help guys, its great to have a set training schedule something to work with and il be on my bike...starting tomorrow
Old 02-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*smiles* have fun muffin
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
muffin
Complex Simpleton

hmm we shall see.... if im not back on by this time next week send out a missing persons for a girl, last seen walking her bike up a hill ha!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My sister who runs marathons for fun did a Biking Tour of Ireland. 212 miles (341 km) in 6 days.

I don't get it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin View Post
half hour on the threadmill with some exercises after
hee hee ...new cellar tagline? or perhaps a new user title for some of our more prolific thread-starters....

The Cellar: Threadmill
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
hee hee ...new cellar tagline? or perhaps a new user title for some of our more prolific thread-starters....

The Cellar: Threadmill