The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #46
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Excellent question, Rich.

It does baffle me a little the attitude we have to teachers in Britain and America. When we refer to them as 'public servants' or 'public sector workers' we seemingly lump them into the same mental space as traffic wardens, school dinner ladies, and refuse collectors. All of whom do very worthy jobs, but none of whom are equivalents.

These are the people who are educating our children. How can they be so dismissed and disparaged as they are? Years of education and training to be able to do what they do, yet we afford them so little cultural respect. Why?

Maybe because educating our children also sits in the same mental space as raising our children. Those who teach at a higher level have greater status. Not just because they are further along in the system but because by then the job is not 'tainted' by its association with the quintessentially domestic task of raising children. In short, teaching is women's work. Morover it is 'motherly' work. Far greater numbers of women than men teaching school aged children. This is even more the case at primary (kindergarten and elementary) education. We see this as an 'instinctive' task, rather than a highly skilled task requiring years of training.

Fucking depressing sometimes.

Added to that is the current tendency towards anti-intellectualism. We don't like clever people. Too clever by half. Too clever for their own good. Clever clogs.

We want homespun wisdom. Stuff we can get our own heads around. Experts and clever epople mustbe looking down on us. Our knowledge is as valid as theirs, whether we have acquired it through school or made it up as we've gone along. My view counts just as much as theirs. Why should they get special treatment? Why is their opinion given more weight than mine? What are they hiding from us, behind their couched words?

It's a double whammy.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #47
regular.joe
Старый сержант

The Heritage Foundation is a self admitted conservative organization, with an agenda.

Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institution—a think tank—whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.

I understand that talk. No taxes, personal responsibility and individual freedom comes before social responsibility. If you can't make enough to send your kids to a good school, that's your fault. Why should I have to pay taxes to send your kids to public school? That is really the message.

Heritage is putting out numbers and information to be quoted by our Republican candidates for office. Just calling it like I see it.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #48
Cotillion
Complex Simpleton

No money is too much to pay people to put up with narcissistic, unhygienic, melodramatic, emotionally unstable and stroppy pre-adults all day long.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #49
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

That is a lot like putting water into a nuclear reactor.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #50
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
ok, ok... I think I know what you think now.

I think like you do, that teachers are not overpaid by a factor of fifty percent. I think that's baloney. I also agree that the Heritage Foundation is the mouthpiece of conservative/regressive/evil Dark Side :darth: interests.
<baiting>