The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Must-see Movie Trailers

We watch a lot of movies. We stream them, we rent them, we buy them, watch them at the theater. There are *lots* of movies out there, more than I can keep track of. When we go to the theater, we like to watch the trailers at the start of the movie. At the end of each trailer we put our , or thumbsneutral (horizontal). It's fun! But sometimes I lose track of good looking movies because the promotions and the buzz fade away. I'm sure some of these lost movies were good, entertaining movies, but they're crowded out and forgotten. I used to make a list of "man, that looks like a great movie. I better look for it when it comes out on xyz" because not every movie can be or needs to be seen on the big screen (not on my budget anyhow). Those lists seem to have gotten lost too.

So, I'm starting a new list. Here is where I'm going to post trailers of movies that look exciting or interesting. Movies I want to see and don't want to forget about.

Last edited by BigV; 12-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Cloud Atlas.

WOW. This looks *huge*. This is definitely one I want to see on the big screen.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Looper.

Heh, heard on the radio today an existential question, is Die Hard a classic holiday film or not. Good question. But regardless of the season, this one looks like some tasty Bruce Willis fare.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Unstoppable.

Disclaimer: I am not completely objective when it comes to Denzel Washington movies. I try not to let my crush affect my judgment, but how could I know? Better question, who cares? I don't think I've ever been disappointed in any of his performances.

Moving on... this movie...how appropriate. It looks positively kinetic. I haven't seen this one in the movies and it doesn't seem to be available (yet) through my normal sources. But I'm patient.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

The make-up on Joseph Gordon-Levitt looked great in the Looper trailer! I didn't even recognize him at first.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Tree of Life.

I saw this trailer. Then I went and found the movie and I watched it. It is captivating. I include it here because it followed my pattern, but more importantly, I hope all of you get a chance to watch it. It is stunning.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatl View Post
The make-up on Joseph Gordon-Levitt looked great in the Looper trailer! I didn't even recognize him at first.
I don't know that fella, but I had a hard time finding Edward Norton's name in the credits... And that's why.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Griff the Invisible.

Yes, yes, I could have put this one in some other thread. Who's to say I didn't? He's invisible, right? This one looks fun. I only found it on teh interwebz, not in the cinema, but it still looks fun. 'Cause I like Griff.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Invictus.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."

This one is from a little while back, but still something I want to see. Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon and a true story? It's got great potential.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Cloud Atlas.

yeah. gonna read/ listen to the book. just got it from audible.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Beasts of the Southern Wild.

We saw this trailer a few times and I was hooked the first time. Unfortunately, I never managed to see it in the theater. This looks like one of those movies that would benefit from being seen on the big screen. No matter. I'll find it somewhere. It looks awesome.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Up in the Air.

George Clooney is easy to watch on the screen. Maybe in person, I don't know, I didn't have $50,000 to find out his quality as a host during the last campaign, but that's not important. This is a George Clooney vehicle, and if I can find it streaming or at the local RedBox, I'll risk a buck fifty and a couple bags of popcorn.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
glatt

George Clooney was good in Up In The Air, but the movie wasn't so good. He played a kind of misguided, pathetic person. There was one scene in particular that bugged me because nobody would ever behave that way, but the writers did it on purpose to force the story line into a particular arc.

If you are big Clooney fan, it's worth watching for a buck or two if you don't have anything better to do.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Invictus.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."

This one is from a little while back, but still something I want to see. Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon and a true story? It's got great potential.

This is quite good.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thumbs up

Quote:
Cloud Atlas.

We went to see this the other night, it was great. It's one of those movies that rewards careful attention. It's a fairly simple story, complexly and repeatedly told. The costumes and makeup of the different characters played by the same actors make for some real double takes. I am glad I saw this one on the big screen, it's a big movie.

jim, you're going to have a *big* advantage having read the story beforehand.