The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 09-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Aircraft

In my teenage years I had an all consuming interest in aviation. Anything with man made wings and an engine or two would attract my attention.
It wasn’t just the aircraft themselves, it was also how they were operated. Navigation, routes, procedures all fascinated me.

I eventually obtained a Private Pilot’s Licence and although competent enough, I was never a natural.
I can say, with all due modesty, that my landings were usually pretty good. However some stretched the definition of ’landing’ beyond its elastic limit.
I think that they could be better described as ’arrivals’.
Of the bone crunchingly ’firm’ sort.

Eventually, I rather lost interest but a year or two ago it was rekindled to casual observer status.
Most of the aircraft I see here on a daily basis tend to be fairly unremarkable.
There’s the early morning rush of arrivals from the US and Canada and the corresponding conveyor belt of departures in the afternoon.

A number of Air New Zealand’s extended range Boeing 777s used on the Auckland-Los Angeles-London route, are truly eye catching in their special livery and I’ve shown a couple of the best here..
These two represent the Hobbit films which were made in New Zealand and help promote the country as a tourist destination.

And here's how it was done...

Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Their planes are purty, and their safety videos are.. epic. These are some with a Hobbit theme, then several with a different flavor. All are awesome.

Betty White, Old Skool.

Nakey people

Last edited by BigV; 09-16-2015 at 01:09 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They've taken this opportunity to grab an identity other than "Near Australia", and run with it. Not just businesses, like the airline, but the government has worked it into some legislation, trade agreements. I heard making disparaging remarks about Tolkien's work is treason. I've read, but can't verify, much of the population has embraced this fever.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I so wish you could come here, Carr.
Despite simply the pleasure of your company.

Dad's interest in aeroplanes has waned in line with the ascension of his dementia, but even he was like a little boy again watching the planes from Leeds/ Bradford airport appear and disappear over the Chevin. They are far lower than you ever see them in Aylesbury and its environs.

If he'd been here five years ago I know we'd have taken the 33a up close to the airport.
And ten years ago he'd have been driving and we'd have gone to the Yorkshire Air Museum (probably dropping Mum off for a Spa Day somewhere!)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Another of Air New Zealand's special liveries.
Unlike the other two, the aircraft was delivered from Boeing in this colour scheme which honours the NZ Rugby Team aka the 'All Blacks'.

All Black 777-300ER Unveiling (Behind The Scenes)

Old 09-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't think I've ever heard an aircraft, and not looked up to marvel at it. Not as a child, and not as an alleged adult. Still do it today. Every time. I'll even get up and go outside when I hear a helicopter, or low-flying plane.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
glatt

Too much air traffic around here for me to leave the house and look up, but if I'm outside or near a window I will always look.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

anytime, every time I see or hear a plane or chopper I have to look. It's second nature to me
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I once jumped one of these contraptions, the French Puma. Rescue and firefighting versions were made with a small trap door in the floor. Enclosed by the aircraft, it felt like stepping into an elevator - going down!

Name:  Gerronimo!.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  51.4 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Too much air traffic around here for me to leave the house and look up, but if I'm outside or near a window I will always look.
Same here, Philly flight path.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
I once jumped one of these contraptions, the French Puma. Rescue and firefighting versions were made with a small trap door in the floor. Enclosed by the aircraft, it felt like stepping into an elevator - going down!

Attachment 53406
That is..................... awesome.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The last airworthy Vulcan bomber flies in formation with the Red Arrows RAF aerobatic team at Southport Air Show earlier this month.

The Vulcan was one of the RAF’s three Cold War nuclear ‘V bombers‘, the others being the Victor and the Valiant .

The aircraft has long been of some fascination to me, not just because of its unique design, but because on three occasions Vulcans landed at a rather small grass airfield at nearby RAF Halton.

Halton was the home to the RAF’s No 1 School of Technical Training where most of the ground trades associated with keeping aircraft flying, were taught.

Although the station, measured by numbers of personnel, was large, the airfield was only suited to smaller aircraft.

When instructional airframes were needed they were flown in, if of suitable size, or dismantled and brought in by road..

In the late 1960s a considerable number of Vulcans were in service and engineering trainees needed ‘hands on’ instruction.

In the space of a few years three examples were flown into the station and landed on a grass runway about 1250yds long.

Landings were planned for a time of the year when the ground would be at its driest, and into as strong a head wind as possible.

The aircraft also had a minimum fuel load to keep landing weight down. All three landed safely and were used for ground instruction over several years.

This aerial photo was taken in 1971. Two of the aircraft, in all white colour scheme, can be seen on the grass south of the hangars.

They were of earlier marks and had been superseded by the camouflaged version which is visible at the northern end of the concrete apron.

The display aircraft is appearing at air shows around the country before retirement this year as the companies which inherited the design no longer which to provide support for it.

Here's the display routine at this year's Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford.

The full power, almost vertical climb, is executed at 6.40, 9.10 and 10.20.

The final climb is the most impressive.

Vulcan to the Sky.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So long Li'l Buckeye, we hardly knew ye.

U.S. Navy retires the last 3 T-2 Buckeye trainer jets.

Scads of pilots learned their way around carriers by training in the T-2. Generations, really, as the Buckeye was in service for 56 years.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Loving the Vulcan, btw. It shares one spectacular facet with the SR-71...They both look absolutely sinister.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:09 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's FREEDOM you're seeing.
Funny how freedom looks sinister so often, to so many.