The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #136
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Are you talking about Adam, or something more akin to Lucy?

Because in the latter case, no matter how you define "human", the first one would in all likelihood be more similar to its "nonhuman" parents than to you. Do natural rights apply to those parents?
I am not a Christian and don't believe in any bible stories. I was talking about whatever person was the first person. The first person to evolve from apes to be an actual person as we are now, and not a half-ape/half-man hybrid.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #137
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
That was after I turned the other cheek twice - that's all he gets. I know: you conservatives need teamwork to even come close to winning an argument against one liberal. And still, you lose.
I'm not a conservative by any stretch of the rational mind and you certainly haven't won any argument in this thread. Or are you talking about some other discussion where you had a better position and weren't trying to deny reality?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #138
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Radar, you can think that you are born with all the rights you want - if your neighbor doesn't buy into the same societal convention, he will kill you and take your stuff and your women. So good luck with that.
If he tries he will meet the same fate he planned for me but in my case, I'll be using defensive force and exercising my rights, while he'll be using offensive force while trying to violate them. My position is clear, concise, and has no flaws or ambiguity. This is because, unlike yours, it's based entirely on reality and truth.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #139
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
if your neighbor doesn't buy into the same societal convention, he will kill you and take your stuff and your women. So good luck with that.

Thus the need for a gun to defend your self and your stuff .
And so the conversation comes full circle and proves not only the RIGHT for individuals to own any weapon we choose, but also describes the necessity.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #140
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I am not a Christian and don't believe in any bible stories. I was talking about whatever person was the first person. The first person to evolve from apes to be an actual person as we are now, and not a half-ape/half-man hybrid.
No such thing. No definition of "human" is anywhere near specific enough to designate a "first" human. If you somehow do arbitrarily pick the "first" human, they will have been much more similar to their parents than to you. Do the natural rights apply to the child, but not the parents?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #141
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Right on, Buster.

Does anyone else completely tune people out once they start throwing around "you conservatives" or "you liberals" as an argument?
Yes.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #142
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
And so the conversation comes full circle and proves not only the RIGHT for individuals to own any weapon we choose, but also describes the necessity.
Not really. The description is hypothetical...if the situation were a given, then it could be said that owning a weapon is a necessity.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #143
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
Not really. The description is hypothetical...if the situation were a given, then it could be said that owning a weapon is a necessity.
Are you saying it isn't? For me owning a gun IS a necessity. In fact my owning of a gun is a necessity even for those who choose not to own a gun themselves. Private gun ownership makes everyone safer, including those who don't own guns.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #144
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

http://www.cleveland.com/concealed/p...600.xml&coll=2

Poor fella. Guess it is not always safe to play with the Big Dogs.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #145
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
No such thing. No definition of "human" is anywhere near specific enough to designate a "first" human. If you somehow do arbitrarily pick the "first" human, they will have been much more similar to their parents than to you. Do the natural rights apply to the child, but not the parents?
All evolved species have evolved due to mutations. At some point a mutation occurred that gave us the very first human being. The non-humans who gave birth to this human would not have human rights, but their offspring would.

What does this really have to do with anything?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #146
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, no... guns are evil. The tools of Satan to kill babies and puppies.
Save yourself before they seize your soul.
Mail all your guns to me.
Do it now... for the children.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #147
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, no... guns are evil. The tools of Satan to kill babies and puppies.
Save yourself before they seize your soul.
Mail all your guns to me.
Do it now... for the children.
I'll take a few more but I will have to buy a bigger safe. Please send the ammo that goes with the guns so I don't have to buy anymore. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #148
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
http://www.cleveland.com/concealed/p...600.xml&coll=2

Poor fella. Guess it is not always safe to play with the Big Dogs.
That's awesome!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #149
TheMercenary

Quote:
That's awesome!
Now if every law abiding citizen in that neighborhood or section of the city were to get a CCW license and made it known to all in the papers and airwaves, I bet you that crimes like that would nearly cease. If they did not stop right away, they would stop right away after a few more gang-banger want-a-be's got a cap in the forehead.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #150
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Are you saying it isn't? For me owning a gun IS a necessity. In fact my owning of a gun is a necessity even for those who choose not to own a gun themselves. Private gun ownership makes everyone safer, including those who don't own guns.
Yes, I am saying it isn't--for me. And it's fine with me if you think that owning a gun is a necessity for you, as long as you're a responsible gun owner.

I don't agree that private gun ownership makes everyone safer. It only makes others safer if, for instance, a gun owner happens to successfully intervene if non-owners are being threatened. It makes others unsafe if, say, that gun owner's kid or angry spouse happens to shoot bullets through the wall.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote