The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I really think the US armed forces have their hands full in country with just a small fraction of the area and population of the US. I wonder why you think their job would be so much easier here.
Because they will have more forces here and the support for the revolution would be minimal.

Like I said before, the only revolt I can see happening in the United States anytime soon is a leftist revolution and it would not gain enough support to take over the government.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #17
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Because they will have more forces here and the support for the revolution would be minimal.

Like I said before, the only revolt I can see happening in the United States anytime soon is a leftist revolution and it would not gain enough support to take over the government.
Minimal? Why? Wouldn't that depend on what the revolution was about?
What about getting the soldiers to shoot at their neighbors - don't you think that might be tough?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #18
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Because the American people have shown that do not like change if something does change, it is minimal.

Yes, shooting at American citizens would be a tough obstacle for the army but I don't believe that would allow a revolution to happen.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #19
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Because the American people have shown that do not like change if something does change, it is minimal.
This is neither a new, nor an American, sentiment. This is exactly what they wrote in the Declaration of Independence, just before Queen Elizabeth II visited us in 1776:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Uh, Queen Elizabeth II?

We were safer when they were draftees. We were safer when they actually did have to shoot people instead of playing a video game that's connected to real weapons. There is real reasons to fear the military's move to autonomous or remote controled weapons systems, instructed by a guy with a mouse and screen.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:

Yes, shooting at American citizens would be a tough obstacle for the army but I don't believe that would allow a revolution to happen.
Yeah, it makes sense that the people wouldn't revolt for a change - we're happy with (resigned to at least) the way things are. So, what if its the government making changes, changes the people don't like?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #22
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Uh, Queen Elizabeth II?
Yes. Don't you pay attention to the news:

Quote:
One day after Bush inadvertently said the queen had visited the United States in 1776 -- he had meant 1976 -- the queen toasted the president at a formal dinner Tuesday night at the home of British Ambassador David Manning.
"Mr. President," she said. "I wondered whether I should start this toast saying, 'When I was here in 1776.'"

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Right over my head since I don't consider that crap news.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #24
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Yeah, it makes sense that the people wouldn't revolt for a change - we're happy with (resigned to at least) the way things are. So, what if its the government making changes, changes the people don't like?
Last I heard people weren't happy with Bush's changes.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Two things about the American left- They really like the idea of government and the moment a Democratic President gets those same powers it will be all good. American rightists claim to be anti-gov but their reaction to this administration shows a love of powerful government as well. The urban riot examples are more like it, an explosion that is not part of the traditional political structure. I used to think the rural right might rise but as long as the gov is fascist they'll be good with it.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #26
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

It'll probably be the poor. Just like the French and Russian revolutions.

I think most revolutionary movements would not be accepted by about hald of all American. Just like the Watts and LA riots, those whose interests are not served by the revolution would view the combatants as outlaws. As an example, if the government outlaws guns, only the pro-gun contingent will revolt, and they would be viewed as outlaws by everyone else. Please let's not drift into another gun thread arguement.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bullshit. Go back and read how many said they didn't own a gun but strongly supported gun ownership along with all the constitutional guarantees.
I don't own a horse anymore, but I'd be very pissed off if the government tried to outlaw horses.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #28
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Bullshit. Go back and read how many said they didn't own a gun but strongly supported gun ownership along with all the constitutional guarantees.
I don't own a horse anymore, but I'd be very pissed off if the government tried to outlaw horses.
You missed the point - it's a fucking example. How about this. Remember all the pro-immigration demonstrations last year? How did you feel about those? Ready to take up weapons to support that cause?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #29
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Please let's not drift into another gun thread arguement.
Drift? You started the thread with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
For the best reason of all for having guns... to defend against a tyrannical government and to overthrow it when it becomes necessary.
No matter how unlikely you consider an armed revolt to be - how could you possibly consider it so unlikely that it makes sense to disarm the populace? That's what I don't understand....
Old 05-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
You missed the point - it's a fucking example. How about this. Remember all the pro-immigration demonstrations last year? How did you feel about those? Ready to take up weapons to support that cause?
No, you missed the fucking point.
The point is, you can't see there are people that will support causes that don't affect them just because they believe in freedom. People that aren't so selfish that they say, well, that's not my problem, it doesn't affect me.

No, I won't support illegal aliens, but some Americans will, even though they aren't aliens themselves.
I will support horse owners, even though I'm am not one.