The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
<3
har. is that a pair o balls? the article in question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris
Alleged Chuck Norris Fact: "There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live." It's funny. It's cute. But here's what I really think about the theory of evolution: It's not real. It is not the way we got here. In fact, the life you see on this planet is really just a list of creatures God has allowed to live. We are not creations of random chance. We are not accidents. There is a God, a Creator, who made you and me. We were made in His image, which separates us from all other creatures.
By the way, without him, I don't have any power. But with Him, the Bible tells me, I really can do all things – and so can you.
Alleged Chuck Norris Fact: "Chuck Norris' tears can cure cancer. Too bad he never cries. Ever."
There was a man whose tears could cure cancer or any other disease, including the real cause of all diseases – sin. His blood did. His name was Jesus, not Chuck Norris.
If your soul needs healing, the prescription you need is not Chuck Norris' tears, it's Jesus' blood.
Again, I'm flattered and amazed by the way I've become a fascinating public figure for a whole new generation of young people around the world. But I am not the characters I play. And even the toughest characters I have played could never measure up to the real power in this universe.

do i really have to explain what bothers me about this? it is NOT that he is christian. you could substitute Vishnu or Mohammed, or Buddha, or the FSM. it's religion. zealotry. he sounds like one of those fucking pamphlets.

Quote:
If your soul needs healing, the prescription you need is not Chuck Norris' tears, it's Jesus' blood.
cmon!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:13 AM   #17
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
did you read the link wolf posted? it wasn;t that he was christian, it was that he was such a smarmy cunt about it.

btw, i appreciate your trying to call me out, and wish i had more time to flame with you.......can i get a rain check?

bbttww, flint, that was some funny shit
omgomgomgomg lj said the *c* word I need to put that in the wiggs me out thread.

Thats strange isnt, I can swear like no other female I know and the c word still shocks me.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #18
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
do i really have to explain what bothers me about this? it is NOT that he is christian. you could substitute Vishnu or Mohammed, or Buddha, or the FSM. it's religion. zealotry. he sounds like one of those fucking pamphlets.
You don't have to explain at all, I had it right in the first place. You think it's okay for him to be a Christian as long as he's not passionate about it. He should stay in the closet, where the rest of us don't have to hear about his little sickness. Someone who's life has been changed completely, i.e., they have been reborn, is often vocal about the experience. They're not ashamed, they're not going to water down their opinion because they're afraid people will call them stupid. All of that doesn't matter anymore. You could call Chuck Norris a stupid cunt to his face, and he would only feel mild pity. He'd probably pray for you that night, asking Christ to take some of your hate away and give you the peace that he has. Would he be barking up the wrong tree? I don't think so -- after all, all it took to set you off was Chuck Norris' worship of a power higher than him.

You think he's weak because he's on his knees before God? I imagine he could say amen twice and still have a boot to the side of your head before you had a chance to get the smirk completely off your face. But he doesn't think in those terms anymore. And you call him a cunt because of it.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #19
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
do i really have to explain what bothers me about this?
I shrugged it off as a bit over-the-top. I'm guessing, given Norris' shtick, that over-the-top is probably to be expected. I can't help but wonder why it had such an effect on you.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #20
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
I shrugged it off as a bit over-the-top. I'm guessing, given Norris' shtick, that over-the-top is probably to be expected. I can't help but wonder why it had such an effect on you.
well, i think you;re going a little far afield to say that it effected me, really. But, to be honest, when someone spouts religion like that ( and i mean to that level of saturation, noodle, not that religion) i lose gobs of respect for them. Yes this does include you, mrnoodle.

I really wish I had the time to rant about this with you. I have a theory that involves the surrender of personal morality that I will try to detail for you tonight after work. Credit Counseling for the soul.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #21
dar512

Quote:
But, to be honest, when someone spouts religion like that ( and i mean to that level of saturation, noodle, not that religion) i lose gobs of respect for them.
Your prerogative, certainly. But I think it's unreasonable in this case. That site is a conservative Christian site. He's there to talk about Christianity and it's effect on him. If you can't spout religion on a religious site, where can you spout it?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Kirk Cameron and Jack Chick are also on religious sites...

That said, Chuck Norris' stuff was reasonably clever, for that style of writing.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #23
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
well, i think you;re going a little far afield to say that it effected me, really. But, to be honest, when someone spouts religion like that ( and i mean to that level of saturation, noodle, not that religion) i lose gobs of respect for them. Yes this does include you, mrnoodle.

I really wish I had the time to rant about this with you. I have a theory that involves the surrender of personal morality that I will try to detail for you tonight after work. Credit Counseling for the soul.
The point that you're missing is that becoming a follower of Christ isn't like picking up a new hobby or rooting for a football team. It becomes an integral part of your life. You call it "spouting religion", but that's taking a very short view of an all-encompassing life choice. The fact is, it means surrendering your personal morality for the morality of Christ (something I continually fail at, but strive for). You say it's a bad thing, I say it's a good thing. I look forward to your theory, nonetheless.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

you know, I've heard that Christ hung around prostitutes and tax collectors. A revolutionary guy. I've never heard a story about him asking pro's to dress modestly (I believe our homophobic and misogynist pal Paul advocated for that)--but I have heard that he urged them to 'sin no more'----Hm. Probably more effective than, "You dress like a slut and therefore! Commence the Raping!"

Just a thought.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #25
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My favorite T-Shirt these days?

"Jesus, save me from your followers."

Jesus had it right. But, as with most great things, someone else took it, mangled it, and screwed it up for everybody. Throw a little zealotry in for flavoring and, voila'! Sinners soup!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Sinners soup!
Ooooo, you clever boy! I'm using that one!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think part of what lj is referring to is the tiresome interjection of Christ into every last topic, even if it requires a tire iron to get it there. We've all seen and been annoyed by those types and it doesn't have to be Christianity. I'm sure I've been one over Libertarianism in the past.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #28
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think I'll start professing my Pagan values with every thread. That ought to be fun. Let's go see what trouble I can stir up!

Pagan proselytization...what a great idea! After all, everyone loves it when the Mormons and the Witnesses come knocking on their doors. I'm gonna need a magazine or something...
Old 11-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #29
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Your prerogative, certainly. But I think it's unreasonable in this case. That site is a conservative Christian site. He's there to talk about Christianity and it's effect on him. If you can't spout religion on a religious site, where can you spout it?
well, how the hell was i supposed to know it was on a christian conservative website! now i feel like a tool for calling mr norris a cunt.

not
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #30
dar512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
My favorite T-Shirt these days?

"Jesus, save me from your followers."

Jesus had it right. But, as with most great things, someone else took it, mangled it, and screwed it up for everybody. Throw a little zealotry in for flavoring and, voila'! Sinners soup!
Change it to "Jesus save me from some of your followers", and I'd wear it too.

However, I'm thinking it must be where you live, Els. I've run into very few of the "I'm saved and you're not" folks in my life.