The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #301
Griff
still says videotape

If absurd spending levels are the key, maybe we should go big into future tech like alternatve energy and space exploration instead of clinging to the 20th century junk.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #302
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'd rather see that space exploration money spend on rebuilding our infrastructure, waste & water treatment, education, health care, the list goes on...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #303
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
That's a disconcerting point from Griff there. The great depression was a significant factor in causing WWII, and the eventual economic recovery was partly driven by the military spending of the 1930s.

So, ah, if this does turn out to be a very bad depression, does that mean we are going to have another big war in maybe a decade's time? Hope not!

But who would be the 'new' Germany?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #304
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Why not Germany? Third time's the charm.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #305
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Who? Well, China, Russia or India are obvious contenders.

No wait, the UN is going to invade the USA. That's right. In 2012. Yes.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #306
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not the UN, Canada.
You can't see them, but there up there all right. They think their geographically superior position makes, them better than us. Oh yes, all high and mighty with their kilometers, loonies & toonies, and red coats. Why they even taught many of their hordes, a secret language for the invasion.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #307
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

They're gonna come and, steal your commas, you know, Bruce. (They'll send commandos for that!)

No wait - England! 300 years ago they claimed all of North America. One day they're gonna come and take it back!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #308
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Who? Well, China, Russia or India are obvious contenders.
Wolfovitz defined this for us. To keep America #1, we must be prepared to unilaterally attack India, Germany, or Russia. Why would the political agenda of America’s wacko extremists change?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #309
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
If absurd spending levels are the key, maybe we should go big into future tech like alternatve energy and space exploration instead of clinging to the 20th century junk.
Meanwhile, where are $billions still being spend wastefully?

Everyone with basic technical knowledge knew hydrogen as a fuel was a myth. The numbers posted here how many years ago? But from the Washington Post of 15 Nov 2008:
Quote:
Detroit Has Plans for Loans to Retool. First It Must Survive.
Many critics point to GM spending more than $1 billion on research on a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, which would require an enormous infrastructure investment in refueling stations that isn't likely to take place. GM is still working on that program, though it has taken a back seat to the Volt.
Spent a $billion on something that is technically absurd (but is hyped by MBAs)? And still spending innovation money on things that can not be viable? Just another example of why another $25billion into a company now only worth $1.8 billion is obviously wasted money. And will always be wasted money as long as Rick Wagoner is GM's CEO.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #310
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I just read a headline in today's paper that said pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
Experts See Security Risks in Downturn
Global Financial Crisis May Fuel Instability and Weaken U.S. Defenses

By Joby Warrick
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, November 15, 2008; A01

Intelligence officials are warning that the deepening global financial crisis could weaken fragile governments in the world's most dangerous areas and undermine the ability of the United States and its allies to respond to a new wave of security threats.
No doubt, esp when Obama begins to cut the military budget. If there is a direct relationship between the cutting of the budget and a catostrophic terror attack it would be a pretty big monkey on his back that would detract from any good he had done up to that point.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #311
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
No doubt, esp when Obama begins to cut the military budget. If there is a direct relationship between the cutting of the budget and a catostrophic terror attack it would be a pretty big monkey on his back that would detract from any good he had done up to that point.
Yeah the $571,000,000,000 we spent turning Iraq from an isolated brutal dictatorship into a civil war and terrorist training ground has done wonders for our security. I certainly wouldn't want to see that budget cut.

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #312
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Yeah the $571,000,000,000 we spent turning Iraq from an isolated brutal dictatorship into a civil war and terrorist training ground has done wonders for our security. I certainly wouldn't want to see that budget cut.

Sure, but I am not sure that taking $750,000,000 and giving it to large failing corps is doing much good either for our failing economy now. And of course this does not include the money we are sending to the CEO's, the planned amounts to send to the auto companies, and doubtless multitude of others queing up with their hands out.

And btw, the numbers game with the Iraq war are dubious.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #313
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

anyone catch Kashkari getting the business? It was sweet, but could have been sweeter. They could have roughed him up a bit. Or just give him a whirlie. Guy is a disaster.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #314
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The Pentagon programs likely to be cut have no effect on our ability to fight terrorists. You don't need F-35s to stop truck bombs. Suggestions.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #315
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The Pentagon programs likely to be cut have no effect on our ability to fight terrorists. You don't need F-35s to stop truck bombs. Suggestions.
No doubt about that. But that is not where cuts are made, at least that is not what the Clinton model used. The big business interests are preserved because Congress controls the purse strings and they are not about to let down these perks and lobbiests. Obama seems to be leaning toward a number of Clinton era advisors. There is no reason to think that he and the dems in congress will not do the same. Troop strength will be cut. Overall cuts in troop strength diminish the pool of selectable troops needed for the more cream of the crop organizations.