The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #61
SamIam

Found on the Occupy Boulder page on FB. Not as lyrical as Dana's song, but certainly gets the point across.

http://youtu.be/w211KOQ5BMI

Damn! This old war horse is tempted to drive to the Front Range to join in!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #62
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Interviews with the protesters on the radio and tv have been pretty funny. Few know why they are protesting and few agree on any of the reasons they are there. Reminds me of the fools at the WTO Protests.

here is one example.

Some ‘Occupy Sacramento’ Protesters Lash Out At Questions

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...-at-questions/
Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #63
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Beyond the title to the article and the last phrase in the lead paragraph,
where is all the "lashing out", or the "chaos" the on-scene reporter in the video clip is asserting ?

That link looks like it's more in the minds of scare-mongering reporters, and quite misleading.

Quote:
Some ‘Occupy Sacramento’ Protesters Lash Out At Questions
October 7, 2011 12:24 AM

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Hundreds of protesters gathered in Cesar Chavez Park on Thursday
to stand in solidarity with the growing nationwide demonstrations
aimed at corporate greed,
but some members of the peaceful event showed hostility
to media members
over basic questions about the goals of the protest.
<snip>
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #64
TheMercenary

The point being why would some members show any hostility to anyone who is asking them to verbalize in a complete sentence their thoughts on why they were there and what were they protesting about. It is hilarious. They look just like the fools who protested at the supposedly peaceful WTO events, remember those where they burned cars and broke the windows of the local businesses?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #65
TheMercenary

Quote:
A liberal organizer told the Daily Caller on Thursday afternoon that he paid some Hispanics to attend “Occupy DC” protests happening in the nation’s capital.

TheDC attended the protest event, an expansion of the “Occupy Wall Street” movement that began in New York City. Some aspects of the protest, it turned out, are more Astroturf than grassroots.

One group of about ten Hispanic protesters marched behind a Caucasian individual from the DC Tenants Advocacy Coalition, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting rent control in Washington, D.C.

Asked why they were there, some Hispanic protesters holding up English protest signs could not articulate what their signs said.

Interviewed in Spanish, the protesters told conflicting stories about how their group was organized. Some said it was organized at their church, and that they were there as volunteers. Others, however, referred to the man from the DC Tenants Advocacy Coalition — the only Caucasian in the group — as their “boss.”

TheDC asked that organizer whether he was paying the group to attend the protest, and he conceded that some protesters “aren’t” volunteers.

“Some of them are volunteers. Some of them aren’t,” he explained. “I can’t identify them. I’m not going to get into an identification game.”
Video Link here:

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/10/06/or...#ixzz1a7vjLnTw
Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #66
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The point being why would some members show any hostility
to anyone who is asking them to verbalize in a complete sentence their thoughts
on why they were there and what were they protesting about. It is hilarious.
They look just like the fools who protested at the supposedly peaceful WTO events,
remember those where they burned cars and broke the windows of the local businesses?
What hostility ? Watch the videos again...
In the first, the reporter was given civil responses by each person he asked.
The second video shows police arresting some for curfew violations, each was calm and passive.

Maybe that reporter is in the wrong career,
or someone is trying to impose their own ideas on this story.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #67
TheMercenary

Maybe you are correct. Maybe they shouldn't have posted the video along with the narrative since it barely supports their report.

It changes little about my points about these protests.

"In one week the Occupy Wall Street people have managed more trouble and cost to government and arrests to cities and taxpayers than the tea party has managed in three years."
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #68
TheMercenary

This is pretty accurate and I have to agree with the author, the protesters are nothing less than a disjointed mob of disgruntled focusing their anger in the wrong direction. Maybe they should shut down Wall Street for a week and see who gets hurt the most.... they will most likely all still have a job next week.

Quote:
The "populist" protest movement "Occupy Wall Street" has certainly created enough buzz, partially from its disparate elements and lack of cohesive central message. It seems to be mostly anti-capitalism cloaked in the semantics of being against "greed" and for "justice", the usual straw men of the protest classes. However, I do think they have selected the right target, even if their rants are aimed in the wrong direction.

The protesters have labeled Wall Street as the capital of capitalism. It is a common misconception, one that is wholeheartedly embraced by the big banks and the banking system in general. Even the Federal Reserve, itself a creation of Wall Street, casts its public relations efforts in that light - that its monetary policies and framework are the fuel that runs the capitalist machine.
http://www.realclearmarkets.com/arti...get_99295.html
Old 10-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #69
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
And that's, like what, a half an hour in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I think our government has gotten out of touch with how money is really earned.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #70
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
No doubt...
Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #71
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
"In one week the Occupy Wall Street people have managed more trouble and cost to government and arrests to cities and taxpayers than the tea party has managed in three years."
That's probably a good thing, although unintentional - most there wanted simply to participate in peaceful protest, however there are bad apples in every group - it's what got the medias attention finally, which then brought about much more participation all across the country.

I think you are going to be amazed at how many people end up sympathizing with this protest. Whats really funny is their messages aren't that far off from the Tea Party's populace-type messages. The big difference is that the Tea Party is funded by the people and groups that the OWS crowd is protesting about.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #72
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
That's probably a good thing, although unintentional - most there wanted simply to participate in peaceful protest, however there are bad apples in every group - it's what got the medias attention finally, which then brought about much more participation all across the country.

I think you are going to be amazed at how many people end up sympathizing with this protest. Whats really funny is their messages aren't that far off from the Tea Party's populace-type messages. The big difference is that the Tea Party is funded by the people and groups that the OWS crowd is protesting about.
I don't disagree. Does this mean we can start calling the protesters "Nazi's" and "Racist"?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #73
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

Surely not! Everyone in government knows that money is earned by sucking up to the the big corporations and the wealthy.

Last edited by SamIam; 10-07-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: insert "to." Thanks Bri
Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #74
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Everyone in government knows that money is earned by sucking up the the big corporations and the wealthy.
well...they're sucking something.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #75
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Does this mean we can start calling the protesters "Nazi's" and "Racist"?
We can certainly call the tea baggers that. They are infamous for their use of racial epitaphs.