The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Wall Street Protests

Well, many protests start small and grow, and it takes the media a while to catch on, but this is now the most under-reported story of the year.

Here's the A(ussie)BC http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-0...?section=world

Three weeks of continuous "occupation", 700 arrests, hardly any mention.

This is floating around on FB, I cannot verify it. Anyone?

Name:  Wall street.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  96.2 KB

Another person posted this:

Name:  308054_10150309864546130_305135551129_7928030_1628411520_n.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  82.8 KB

If only the cellar had a New York stringer. Who wasn't completely nuts.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Oh and another friend posted this link: which seems to be genuine.

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corpora...=580&width=850

Quote:
New York City Police Foundation — New York

JPMorgan Chase recently donated an unprecedented $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD's main data center.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly sent CEO and Chairman Jamie Dimon a note expressing "profound gratitude" for the company's donation.

"These officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe," Dimon said. "We're incredibly proud to help them build this program and let them know how much we value their hard work."
Old 10-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

the Huffington Post is reporting on it.

I expect a drum circle to break out any minute now.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

The image is fake. It's not even taken in the right place.

I wish the Occupy Wall Street message was more clear. I really want them to accomplish something good.

Off topic, but pissing me off (tangentially related because they are making fun of the Occupy Wall Street folks): I'm watching CNN for the first time in a couple years. Apparently you can't say "Nigger" (in reference to Rick Perry's "Niggerhead") when reporting the damn news. These folks are all such children they act sheepish even calling it the "N word."

Now they've got a former astronaut "launching" kids into space to get kids excited about math and science. I bet those kids are thinking "this old dude is so lame, but at least we're on TV. Are we famous yet? When do we get to meet Lady Gaga?"
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
glatt

The Washington Post has no trouble printing the word, but on NPR they were calling it "the N-word."

Edit: And it got me wondering, when I read somewhere that it was a commonplace name back in the day. There's a cliff on Monhegan Island called Black Head. (Also one called White Head.) I wonder if it used to be called Nigger Head and was sanitized.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
These folks are all such children they act sheepish even calling it the "N word."
Why are they children? I think they are showing consideration, you offay mother fucking cracker. Go back to Europe, where you came from.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I've seen and read plenty on it. Apparently there really isn't that much going on. The ones who keep claiming that it isn't being reported are the protesters.

I was reading about a week ago and trying to find out how many were there. After going thru many articles to find that info, it was reported that there were about 200 total. That number has grown quite a bit and there are things happening in other cities as well. The 700 arrests include people simply being ticketed for minor infractions. meh. The problem seems to be that they are not well organized, nor unified in what they want. There are people claiming all sorts of things from Bush/Cheney prosecutions to 4 day work weeks.

Last edited by classicman; 10-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

It's an infant grassroots "thing", so it isn't actually solidified with goals yet. I've been following the twitter hashtag #occupywallstreet and TheNation's blog by Greg Mitchell on it. There are a few very informative articles on it's origins and what it isn't. Here's one.

BusinessInsider

Here's another:

AmpedStatus

One thing about the protests and having a PR firm working for them pro-bono, is that hopefully, the average citizen will start asking questions and go inform themselves. Information and knowledge are power and way too many people just blindly buy the rhetoric they are fed by the media and those in power.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Its moved outside of New York.

I have the choice of going to several in Indiana. Lafayette and Indy are closer. I'm gonna call my nephew at Purdue and ask him what he knows about it.

Quote:
We work in solidarity with the determined souls on Wall Street and across the country in standing as the PEOPLE to demand responsible, fair governanace. We advocate for, no, DEMAND,the separation of finance and government in no less uncertain terms than the separation of Church and State. For too long, the interests of business have drowned out the voice of the citizenry. NO MORE. We are not Left. We are not Right. WE are the 99%... and we WILL prevail.
Attached Images

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Pico and ME; 10-03-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

It is strange that there is very little media coverage (well, really not that strange), but this guy is trying to do something about it...

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Pico and ME; 10-03-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Hot Damn - This guy nailed it. Im sure Fox doesn't air this one...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
The image is fake. It's not even taken in the right place.

I wish the Occupy Wall Street message was more clear. I really want them to accomplish something good.

Thanks, I was doubtful. Could be anywhere, or anywhen, or just shopped, for all I know.

Hey, you think maybe the Arab spring is going to spread to the USA? You guys might have your very own democraccy movement, and take back your government from the corrupt, self-serving plutocratic theocrats that have siezed control of your country. Wouldn't than be nice?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Protesters were warned of pending arrest...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...tyy8nOgYSN4fJJ
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Protesters were warned of pending arrest...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...tyy8nOgYSN4fJJ
That is debatable. Conflicting stories AND videos of the incident.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
glatt

I've been around cops doing crowd control before. One thing I can tell you is that they don't communicate consistently with the crowd. You very well could have had some cops saying that the protestors could go on the bridge, and other cops saying they couldn't and that they would be arrested if they didn't leave. A bullhorn is very loud when you are standing right next to it, but if you are 100 feet away and surrounded by a chanting crowd, that same bullhorn will be completely unintelligible.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote