The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 AM   #76
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
No double standards. Rkzen, you have to show your own work too.
Funny... I thought I just did... pages of it.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #77
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Semi-Random Bible quotes cribbed from other sources? I think that's what you called Gannet out on, wasn't it?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 AM   #78
rkzenrage

Quoted from the Bible and they were not random at all, each directly contradicts the other.
The bible is not an authority on anything , moral or otherwise, and should never be used as such due to its inconsistent nature.
A moral code cannot contradict itself.
Christians state the bible is the "truth".
What truth?
That one honors they mother & father or hates them, forgives their children or dashes them upon stones, does not kill or commits genocide, honors the sabbath or works on it like jesus, etc, etc, etc....?

Last edited by rkzenrage; 08-13-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #79
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Son, stay out of that water, you will get wet.
Son, go ahead, get in the water.

Each said at different times, different places, with different intentions.

Son, stay out of that water, you will get wet. <Outside in school clothes waiting on bus and found a puddle of water to entertain himself.>
Son, go ahead, get in the water. <On vacation and just got to the beach.>

Same for:
Dad, can I have a cookie? No.
Dad, can I have a cookie? Yes.

Dad, can I have a cookie? No. <Just before dinner>
Dad, can I have a cookie? Yes. <Just after dinner>

Funny as it was, the verses you used weren't in the same settings, same times, etc. Cherry-picking versus is easy to do if you want certain results...just like statistics. Therefore, they don't really tell us anything the way they were presented. Again, funny but not really a good argument about the Bible's validity (or lack thereof).
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #80
rkzenrage

"You are taking out of context!"
Bullshit.

By that argument I can use the bible to justify any action and no one can disagree under any circumstances. Christianity is license to do anything that pops into your head.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Once more.
The Bible is not a book.
The Bible is a collection of books, a library.
Like any library, some of the books will refer to the same or similar happenings but they are separate stories, not chapters in one book.
The fact that statements in one book contradict the statements in another is because they are different stories of different people, places, circumstances and times.

Saying, "Christians state the bible is the "truth", shows you don't understand Christians or the Bible.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #82
Ibby
erika

But bruce, you can't deny that there are christians who do "state the bible as truth".
What rkzenrage has a problem with are the 'religious right' kind of christian... the one who uses their faith to justify their prejudices.

We're talking jerry falwell, not the local part-time pastor.

If you wanna argue that THEY don't understand christianity or the bible, go right ahead... but people keep saying that muslims need to muzzle their fundamentalist brethren or suffer from the image blow? Same thing, here.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #83
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well put Ibram.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #84
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I talked about Ezekiel 22 in today's Manifesto
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
But bruce, you can't deny that there are christians who do "state the bible as truth".
What rkzenrage has a problem with are the 'religious right' kind of christian... the one who uses their faith to justify their prejudices.
We're talking jerry falwell, not the local part-time pastor.
If you wanna argue that THEY don't understand christianity or the bible, go right ahead... but people keep saying that muslims need to muzzle their fundamentalist brethren or suffer from the image blow? Same thing, here.
Even the ones that will say, 'yeah, the Bible is true', are usually keeping it in context of the particular book of the Bible, and don't often claim every verse is true and applicable in every situation.
What I've been bitching about from the gitgo, is he rages with the broad brush on every stroke, making him sound as wacky as the Christian extremists like Falwell. If someone makes a claim, attribute it to them, not to Christian.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #86
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
What I've been bitching about from the gitgo, is he rages with the broad brush on every stroke, making him sound as wacky as the Christian extremists like Falwell. If someone makes a claim, attribute it to them, not to Christian.
Quote:
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You can't do that in a free country, as long as they have the TV ratings, and rkzenrage keeps watching them.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #88
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Even the ones that will say, 'yeah, the Bible is true', are usually keeping it in context of the particular book of the Bible, and don't often claim every verse is true and applicable in every situation.
Where is their support base? How large is it.
If it were just a few wackos Falwell would just be another nobody.
Moderates who do not speak out against them are complaisant.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #89
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Even if Falwell's support base is in the millions, it does not constitute all Christians, which is what you imply when you say Christians this and Christians that.
I have no problem with you, or anyone, crying foul, when the wackos are being stupid. But I strenuously object to lumping millions of decent people into the wackos camp, against their wishes.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #90
rkzenrage

Show me where I said all Christians were guilty.