The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #61
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Jeb, I understand what you are saying. If you don't mind, I think I can provide a bit of perspective.

First of all, thanks for being honest about what you feel. It takes guts to reveal your thoughts and feelings in such an open way, without a defense mechanism already built in. Good on ya.

Secondly, I am familiar with your posts, yet, so I have no real context from which to address your specific situation.

But!

Here's what I see:

The grammar and spelling thing gets irritating to some people. It doesn't bother me, much because I see much worse at my workplace everyday. Some people find it more difficult to see the specific meaning in what you are saying if it isn't articulated well. The nature of text communication is problematic in that way.

Because it is difficult to accurately express *anything* in its full form using text (unless, of course we all write 150 page dissertations) we're all going to take things the wrong way, once in a while. On a message board, there is no body language or facial expression. No amount of fun little emoticons can capture and express human emotions and the dynamics around them. I truly believe that 85% of the shit storms that happen around here can be attributed to that. Well, maybe 80%. Anyway, quite a few. If you feel yourself getting pissed off, or hurt, let it go and come back in a few days.

These, I think are the main reasons why it is so easy to think you aren't part of the "popular" crowd. Despite all the "<enter cellar user name> is an asshat" and "Let's see more of <enter cellar user name>" threads, there is no popularity contest. It's much easier than that. Here are some ideas on how to be more involved in the cellar:

- Post a lot of interesting points.
- Don't call names.
- Be funny. No matter what kind of sense of humor you have, someone is bound to think you are funny if you let that part of yourself go, here.
- Post a lot of mindless fun in the Nothingland forum.
- Get to know other members and what they like, how you can relate, etc.
- Think of the most interesting thing that happened to you, this week and start a discussion about it.
- Find a picture of something you care about and start a thread about it.

Of course, those are all just ideas. I don't make the rules around here (and wouldn't want to.)

I like to make a game of getting my post count to a certain point, because that means I am more involved. It's a personal thing, to me. Not a popularity thing. And you can see by my post count, that in 5 years, I haven't been a heavy poster, really. But that is just me.

I think the investment you make in this place determines what you get out of it....(maybe there is some famous quote like that?)

So, anyway, Jeb, Cloud, Fresh and whoever else is new around here, I hope you stick around, because the vast personality differences are what make this forum so interesting.

</soapbox>
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #62
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Jeboduuza -- I think you've answered you own question. Over 60 responses in just a few hours. That's impressive.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #63
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
How about jackass?
how about 'cocksmith'?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #64
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
how about 'cocksmith'?
Never heard that before.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #65
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
oh wait....don't praise me in this thread.
OK, buttmunch, you asked for it.

Here it comes, beyotch.

You'd better be sitting in jinx lap for this one...

Commence flinching...

LJ, U я teh suck.

Sometimes, what has to be done just has to be done. I am not proud.

Last edited by Beestie; 06-11-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #66
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Group acceptance is such a powerful thing to some people that they just can't get past it. Do they like me? I couldn't stand it if they didn't! Do they want me around? I really really hope they do!
Of course.. this is clear.

But why a particular group? Am I learning a new skill? Perhaps there's a group of people who are good at it. Acceptance by this group would validate my new-found skills. Perhaps there's a group with a lot of power at my job. Acceptance by this group would mark me as a prime candidate for a promotion. Perhaps there's a group of guys that seem to attract a lot of hot babes. Acceptance by this group would make it easier for me to score.

What does acceptance by The Cellar grant? Why should a newbie care? If you walk into a restaurant and see a table with 10 people, all strangers to you, all having a good time, do you have a desire to sit down, join them, and become part of the group? How is this like, and not like, a new poster approaching The Cellar?

Quote:
how about 'cocksmith'?
That anvil's gonna hurt really bad.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #67
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
That anvil's gonna hurt really bad.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
oh wait....don't praise me in this thread....you'll just be proving jiz-a-doobah's (parodies of peoples username is ALWAYS funny) point.

The reason that i can fuck with people and not get bashed, doozie jewbah, is that i know them. I know how to mess with them without really hurting them or costing them face. I would never attack someone for something that I knew was a real vulnerability. I come off as a blow hard, but it takes a certain amount of sensitivity to pull that off without getting ostracized by a group. Most people, by the same token are sensitive enough to get it when i'm sending them a message.

That's how we get along. Look at join dates of the active folks here. More have joined after I have than before. I get along fine with 95% of them. probably 65% of them like me, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Hmmm. Thanks Sundae Girl.

But as much as everyone gets along with LJ I doubt I will ever like him.

He says he wouldn't attack someone's vulnerability but he definitely repeatedly knocked me up and down about my girlfriend issues, which is the initial reason I joined this place. I found that to be the sole reason why I dislike him immensely. Then he apologizes for antagonizing me, then he keeps antagonizing me. Joke or not, his personality is something that I might never warm up to. All in all, he's a big dick, to me, personally. That's my 2 cents.

Cloud is right. This is a hard crowd and all of us "fucking newbies" as jinx called us in the NSFW dwellar thread are still having trouble transitioning to the well established.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Sure. Skirt my post on how I just proved the hypocrisy of your last post about you being a nice dude.
i didn't say i was nice. i certainly never said that i never poked fun at you. i do say that i've limited my comments to the things you've said and the way you've acted. I wouldn't judge you based on any thing other than....

....oh wow......i gotta go!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #69
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

Correct spelling. That's going to take effort for a computer game nerd like me.

And I use AIM a lot, so it will be doubly hard, how do other AIMers solve "txtspk" which I never heard of until now. It was just regular lingo to me.

Thanks for all the insightful comments everyone. If I'll be an active user, partime or just watch is all up in the air.

And I have to confess. I am lumberjim. This is a faux account I created just to stir up mayhem. I created a personal hater, just for this reason.

Just kidding.

Or am I?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #70
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

oh fuck, i hope not.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #71
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeboduuza View Post
And I use AIM a lot, so it will be doubly hard, how do other AIMers solve "txtspk" which I never heard of until now. It was just regular lingo to me.
Pretend you're writing it for your English teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeboduuza View Post
Or am I?
It sounds like something he'd do. On the other hand, I'm highly doubtful that LJ would know "pwn" and "5h17".
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #72
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Naa the name is Too original for one of LJs SockPuppets !!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #73
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
oh fuck, i hope not.
You hope he isn't kidding, or you hope he isn't really another one of your personalities? Sounds like a personal problem, LJ.

Take a deep breath...relax....now, try to recall the last thing you typed on the computer....that's it....

kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #74
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

sounds like something i'd do?! eat a dick, steve! i would not! I'd maybe pile on a topic with them, or possible tilt a poll or two....but i would never cause a ruckus like that. that was what i bashed marichiko so hard for. you take it back. before i tell everyone about your rash.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #75
freshnesschronic
Professor

compare the spellings of Jeboduuza and lumberjim.

Has any of LJ's tendancies leaked onto the faux Jeboduuza? Or is it original typing?
Like an episode of CSI.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote