The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Getting a friend help

I'm not going to go into much detail right now but any suggestions would help.

To sum it up, my roommate got arrested yesterday and will most likely face charges of resisting arrest but could get up to assaulting a police officer. We were at a party last night and the cops showed up and started kicking everyone out. I left right away but my drunk and depressed roommate, who historically has problems with authority figures, kept asking if he could finish a beer and the police officer repeatably said no. Turns out he walked out the back door, with the beer, then preceded to drink it right in front of a police officer. After ignoring orders to put it back inside he was held by the police and then he started struggling and got forced to the ground. I could not hear what was being said, I did not want to get too close, but he may have threatened the cops and he for sure made a big scene about it.

This is an obvious call for attention. All he could have done was drop the beer but he wanted to push the cop's buttons and wanted to see what would happen. My friends and I have noticed this this call for attention in the past but never thought it would go this far. My friend group is also full of extremely intelligent people who are very good at analyzing people but none of us have gotten even close to figuring him out.

I am assuming he will just get a resisting arrest charge but worst case scenario he will get threatening police officer, get kicked out of college (he is on his last semester), get kicked out of Law school (he got accepted to two schools), get placed with a massive bill and fine (he is already is massive debt), and not be able to get a job.

As I said in my past thread, I am past fed up with him but I feel leaving him to fend for himself would be immoral and hurtful to his family and other groups of friends. So, right now, I have decided that the best course of action is to push him to get professional help (counseling or whatever) and not insulting criticism, my usual method. Problem is that he, at least historically, is very resistant to this type of "help" and would prefer the world to change for him. Every single one of my friends have tried to help out on some issue of his and none of us have succeeded. Professional help is the only way he might be able to get back on track IMO. I should have the support of most of my friend group so that will help but as I said earlier, he will probably react by thinking we are all against him.

So, any personal suggestions or advice? I will update this as I get more information.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Actually, it sounds like you are on the right track..........If he has trouble with authority I wouldn't go to him as a crowd. Have each friend talk to him one by one....Personal level, one on one sincere conversation.......

It sounds like you are definitely in the right space. Yet, one thing to remember, no matter how it turns out it is not your fault. His actions are his actions. I don't know about "leaving him to fend for himself". You are right, it would not be the right thing to do. You can be supportive but don't carry his burden for him. Professional advice is the right course. Even if there is nothing terribly wrong, seeking a professional does not hurt.

You are a good friend. This type of thing is going to happen to more people you know throughout your life for one reason or the other....It is good to learn the proper recourse.

Last edited by Cicero; 02-14-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You're basically stuck with staging an intervention, or walking away from the guy for good. A literal intervention will have everyone not just on your side, but in the same room confronting him all at the same time, including family and often a pre-selected professional. Sounds like nothing short of that is going to have any effect.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Interventions do not work like on TV, and usually result in the victim punching out one or more of the concerned others.

Acknowledge that the dude fucked up. Give him the number to the campus counselling service or the local crisis hotline, and give him the ride if he asks for it.

Actually, regardless of what you feel, you don't have any responsibility to him ... he has to take it for himself.

What he needs first, though, may be a lawyer.

Did he get arrested-arrested, or just issued non-traffic citations for Public Drunkenness and Disorderly Conduct? (unless he punched or spit on the cops assault charges over something like that are rare. Also was it "real" cops or "campus" cops?)

He wouldn't be the first lawyer to have done something drunk and stupid in college, incidentally.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

For you:
Al Anon and Co Dependents Anonymous

For him:
AA

For everyone else, Mastercharge.
Or is that everything else?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Actually, it sounds like you are on the right track..........If he has trouble with authority I wouldn't go to him as a crowd. Have each friend talk to him one by one....Personal level, one on one sincere conversation.......
I agree. As of now, this will be my first attempt. He has mentioned many times that he prefers to be talked to one-on-one in a non-offensive way. I usually hate doing this because I don't want to talk to my peers like I would a child but I think I am going to suck up my pride and not lash out at him, which, at least for me, is extremely difficult. If this does not work, then I will probably take Clod's advice and do a full out intervention with our close friends and his family. I do not want to do this first because I have a very strong feeling that he will take this as an attack on him and isolate himself even further, causing him to hold down his frustrations even further and have it come out in even more destructive ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Actually, regardless of what you feel, you don't have any responsibility to him ... he has to take it for himself.
My personal view on anything of this sort is that, yes, it is solely his responsibility. I do not feel like this is my fault in anyway. But, on the other hand, I also feel like it the responsibility of a friend, leader, etc, to recognize actions that could cause problems in the future and do something to prevent it.

Basically, this action and any future action is solely the fault of my roommate, but I, as a friend, should try to get him help to prevent problems in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Did he get arrested-arrested, or just issued non-traffic citations for Public Drunkenness and Disorderly Conduct
This is what I saw. Handcuffs were being put on him and he fought back, possibility threatening the police, and resulting in him being forced to the ground. Some people said they thought they saw tasers but I couldn't verify anything. Someone tried to videotape him being arrested, so one of the police officers arrested him and called back up, forcing 10 other police cars to show up in the matter of a minute. I don't know if the back up was called because of him or because both police officers were busy wrestling with someone and the bystanders were getting rowdy. I'm assuming the second but my roommate threatened me and others earlier that night so I am assuming he threatened the police as well.

I have no heard from him yet today so I'm assuming this isn't some small charge. But, it is a Sunday and a holiday so it might be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Acknowledge that the dude fucked up. Give him the number to the campus counselling service or the local crisis hotline, and give him the ride if he asks for it.
That is my usual approach but I know he will not take the offer. Then he will just get worst. That has been the trend for the past few months.

Ultimately, it is his choice to get help or not. If he does not want to change then he will not change. I am going to do my best to convince him that the path he is going down is not in his best interests but that will prove to be MUCH harder since I swear his brain has twelve inch solid steel covering against helpful advice.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

wolf is wise and right.

One of the hardest lessons to learn during the young adult part of growing up is that you can't make the world perfect and you can't help everyone.

Get him the numbers to call, details of the meetings to attend, tell him you'll drive him there and go with him if he needs, and then walk away. The more you tell him what he needs to do, the more likely he is to resist and not do it. People are just like that. Especially drunk ones. He has to make the decision to clean up his act, you can't do it for him. He may need counselling or he may be able to do it by himself. It's not your call.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
SamIam

It is notoriously dificult to get a person with a drinking problem to admit he has one until he is good and ready to do so. He may go through disaster after disaster and just shrug it off. He will probably resent the hell out of you for saying anything. Still, it doesn't hurt to try and maybe the incident will have shaken him up enough that he's willing to listen to reason. Just don't be surprised if he's not.

Last edited by SamIam; 02-14-2010 at 10:07 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you may have to face the fact that your friend is an asshole.

they do exist.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And after you save his life, he'll beat you out of the scholarship you need, the job you want, and steal your woman.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

we have had to disassociate our selfs with a few folks for our good ,
we have had talks with them about their life's and their poisons,
Universaly we get a Big "FUCK YOU !!!!!"

They have to fall down on their own ,

and make their way back to their feet on their own
Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Ugghhh.....

Charges are pending and might be dropped. His story, that he believed, was COMPLETELY different then what actually happened. He is so fucking delusional. I told him he was being a complete dick for the last few days (he tried to fight me on Saturday along with other people, he lashed out on some girl on Friday, and was threatening people with a road cone later that night) and that he is completely delusional since he truly never believes he is at fault for anything he does. I told him that he probably should talk to someone about it but I was too mad to do anything else.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Cloud

it's a hard situation for you, because you live with the guy. My experience tells me to protect yourself (it's not a sin); you may need to consider changing living arrangements (his, or if that won't work--yours).

Do whatever you need to do in terms of offering help to salve your conscious. Then let the fucker go. Some people are just not worth it.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I've been planning on moving out when my lease ends for a while. And even though it may not show in my posts, I am very good at letting people go from my life and not letting their problems get to me but its extremely difficult at the moment since our lives are so entwined right now. Since I actually live with him, I have to put up with a lot more crap then friends that do not live with them.

And I am really good at not letting other people's problems get to me even though it may not show from my posts.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

"Delusional" and "In Denial" are not the same thing.

The first is a symptom of an illness. The second is the result of a choice.

Please do not confuse the two, as it gives him more excuses.

You, and everyone around him is/are being played, whether it's conscious on his part or not.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote