The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

And I thought MY life was in the toilet!

Boyfriend: Woman who lived in bathroom felt safe there
Associated Press
Mar. 13, 2008 06:29 AM

WICHITA, Kan. - A 35-year-old woman who sat on her boyfriend's toilet for so long that her body was stuck to the seat by the time he called police had a phobia about leaving the bathroom, the boyfriend said.

"She is an adult; she made her own decision," said her boyfriend, Kory McFarren. "I should have gotten help for her sooner; I admit that. But after a while, you kind of get used to it."

The case drew nationwide attention after Ness County Sheriff Bryan Whipple said it appeared the Ness City woman's skin had grown around the seat in the two years she apparently was in the bathroom.

"We pried the toilet seat off with a pry bar and the seat went with her to the hospital," Whipple said. "The hospital removed it."

McFarren, 36, said he can't be certain how long Pam Babcock stayed in the bathroom because "time just went by so quick I can't pinpoint how long." He said beatings she received in her childhood caused her phobia.

"It just kind of happened one day; she went in and had been in there a little while, the next time it was a little longer. Then she got it in her head she was going to stay - like it was a safe place for her," McFarren said.

But McFarren said she moved around in the bathroom during that time, bathed and changed into the clothes he brought her. He brought food and water to her. They had conversations and had an otherwise normal relationship - except it all happened in the bathroom.

McFarren said he finally called police Feb. 27 after he became worried because Babcock was acting groggy - like she didn't know what was going on, except she was awake.

What emergency responders found when they went into bathroom has left residents of this small western Kansas town buzzing, and law enforcement officials incredulous.

Police found the clothed woman sitting on the toilet, her sweat pants down to mid-thigh. She was "somewhat disoriented," and her legs looked like they had atrophied, Whipple said.

"She was not glued. She was not tied. She was just physically stuck by her body," Whipple said. "It is hard to imagine. ... I still have a hard time imagining it myself."

She initially refused emergency medical services, but was finally convinced by responders and her boyfriend that she needed to be checked out at a hospital.

"She said that she didn't need any help, that she was OK and did not want to leave," he said.

Whipple said the county attorney will determine whether any charges should be filed against McFarren.

McFarren, who works at an antique store, said he has been taking care of Babcock for the 16 years they have lived together. He insisted that he tried to coax her out of the bathroom every day.

"And her reply would be, Maybe tomorrow,' " Whipple said. "According to him, she did not want to leave the bathroom."

She was reported in fair condition Wednesday at a hospital in Wichita, about 150 miles southeast of Ness City. Whipple said she has refused to cooperate with medical providers or law enforcement investigators.

Babcock has an infection in her legs that has damaged her nerves, and there is a possibility she may wind up in a wheelchair, McFarren said.

James Ellis, a neighbor, said he had known the woman since she was a child, but that he had not seen her for at least six years.

"I don't think anybody can make any sense out of it," Ellis said.

Babcock had a tough childhood after her mother died at a young age and apparently was usually kept inside the house as she grew up, he said.

"It really doesn't surprise me," Ellis said. "What surprises me is somebody wasn't called in a bit earlier."
Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

30 Years in the Bathroom, The Wonder Stuff, 1989

My lavatory has been my sanctuary
And it's easy for you to laugh at me
'Cos I been 30 good years in the bathroom, baby
Rubadubdub one man in a tub and it's me
Always me

CHORUS
And now the time has come to share the joke
That the latch on the bathroom door is broke
And now it's time to let you know
That it's only the beat of my heart that is slow

Who's fault is this? I deny that it's mine
I been stuck in here since 1959
That's 30 good years in the bathroom baby
But it's okay, yeah it's okay
Cos when they come to take me away
I will be clean, I will be clean

CHORUS

Well I been 30 years in a bad mood, baby
But it's okay, yeah it's okay 'cos that's better
Than 30 years on the back seat of a car
Oh beat me with the pumice stone
Eight to the bar

CHORUS
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Can I just say...

What in the hell was she doing out of the kitchen?!?

Sorry..had to before someone else did....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Can I just say...

What in the hell was she doing out of the kitchen?!?

Sorry..had to before someone else did....
Maybe that's the next step. In 5 years, they'll be prying her out of the refridgerator.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Here's the part I don't get:

Quote:
But McFarren said she moved around in the bathroom during that time, bathed and changed into the clothes he brought her. He brought food and water to her. They had conversations and had an otherwise normal relationship - except it all happened in the bathroom.
Soooo, at what point did the toilet seat fuse to her ass?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
lookout123
changed his status to single

What goes around comes around. At least this lady was on the toilet, unlike this poor sap from a few years ago.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
They had conversations and had an otherwise normal relationship - except it all happened in the bathroom.
Is this a euphemism, like "having relations" with someone?

While she was stuck to a toilet seat? Ewww.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Shawnee123

How long does it take an ass to fuse to a toilet seat? Seriously. Would it matter if it were plastic, wood, or that squishy stuff? I think he's lying when he says she moved around and lived like a normal person, except for being in the bathroom.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
How long does it take an ass to fuse to a toilet seat? Seriously. Would it matter if it were plastic, wood, or that squishy stuff? I think he's lying when he says she moved around and lived like a normal person, except for being in the bathroom.
Considering that they were thinking about pressing charges when I read it on FARK this morning, I would think he is trying to save his own ass.

I just think it is sad that it took an infection after 2 YEARS for him to do anything. Stop bringing her food, if she wants to eat bad enough she'll start coming out. Start putting it right in front of the bathroom and slowly move it farther away, kind of like coaxing a bunny.

Just my opinion anyway
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
lookout123

ok, he's an ass who should have called for help much earlier, but let's stop and think for a second. This guy is obviously just as screwed in the head as the woman. What guy would bring food and water to the bathroom because his girlfriend won't come out for two year?

Criminal charges my ass. He didn't duct tape her to the toilet, she just quit coming out. They're both in some serious need of therapy.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Cicero

I really do think he just wasn't so smart and she's an agoraphobic. These things happen. Maybe she picked that guy because she knew he would put up with crap like that. Hi, you pay the rent and bring me food while I go crazy and stay in one room......

He was waiting on a sick person and did what he thought was best. In some small way he probably did think she was taken care of. Just not the sharpest tool in the shed. It's not his fault that she stayed in the bathroom. There is no indication that it was a forced situation.

Lots of strange things happen when people think they are taking care of a sick significant other.He didn't do anything criminal. The final line was drawn and he made the call.

She could have called for help at any point. She has done this sort of thing before I'm sure. Her mental health record is probably long and wordy and he isn't a qualified home health care aide.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Shawnee123

Where did he use the bathroom? Maybe they had two bathrooms, but considering she couldn't be working and he doesn't seem so sharp I doubt they were in a 3 and half bath kind of place. I'm just assuming, of course, but if she were on the throne long enough to fuse herself, if they didn't have another throne, he must have been going somewhere else to, um, drop the kids off at the pool. I mean, if mainly she just stayed in that room but moved about, as he said, there had to also be an extended period of time where he didn't have access. Just very, very odd.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
lookout123

He cans his stuff for research purposes.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
Cicero

Quote:
Where did he use the bathroom? Maybe they had two bathrooms, but considering she couldn't be working and he doesn't seem so sharp I doubt they were in a 3 and half bath kind of place. I'm just assuming, of course, but if she were on the throne long enough to fuse herself, if they didn't have another throne, he must have been going somewhere else to, um, drop the kids off at the pool. I mean, if mainly she just stayed in that room but moved about, as he said, there had to also be an extended period of time where he didn't have access. Just very, very odd.
lol! Now that is the real question now isn't it? lol!!

The other question...Why was she just a live-in girlfriend still after 16 years with this guy? If people hadn't seen her in 6 years....Maybe she refused to leave the bathroom after being with him for 10 years until he proposed? Maybe we aren't getting the real story here. (I love my what really happened, pure conjecture stories)
:p
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Maybe they had two bathrooms, but considering she couldn't be working and he doesn't seem so sharp I doubt they were in a 3 and half bath kind of place.
This is one reason why I like you, Shawnee. Always thinking of the other angles. No, their place was hardly palatial. In fact, it was...a trailer. This trailer, according to a local news station.
Attached Images