The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/9/2003: Weapon chic

This is a new line of handbags being introduced in Rotterdam as one response to growing Euro crime and fear. There isn't an actual gun or knife in these bags, just an *outline* of one, get it?

They also have a third model which outlines a large crucifix. The line is called "Guardian Angel" and the terribly-designed website that sells them says "Guardian Angel: Armed with a gun, a knife or faith, nobody will harm you..."

My skepticism cannot be contained. What you're really saying when you use a bag like this is "I'm frightened of crime so I'm going to wear a bag that suggests I'm both frightened and unwilling to carry an actual firearm. Please threaten me with deadly force and I will fold immediately like a cheap house of cards."

People buying this will stand out as if they were highlighted with an orange pen. Given the false sense of security that they are somehow protected AND the complete lack of knowledge about what to do if actually threatened, my guess is that it can only lead to worse trouble. If I'm going to carry, I'm not going to let you know, and I'm especially not going to let you know which bag it's in and where it is in the bag. I mean, come on.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote