The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

What am I to do with her...?

I thought about posting this, but couldn't quite put it into the right words - so I've pinched those from my son's blog instead - enjoy:

"And in other news, my mother has gone ahead with the purchase of a trampoline. I dread to think of the horrors that await me this summer. Coming home after a long days work to find my mother bouncing up and down in the garden with a glass of wine and Basement Jaxx playing on the stereo is an alarmingly possible scenario. Still, as possible mid life crisis' go, a trampoline isn't the worst it could have been. It'll also fuel the need for me to find a place of my own soon, which I'm sure was her plan all along."

Yes, mid-life crisis is hitting the better-half. Before you consider the above is just an isoloated incident, I have another tale to tell.

We have this sort of oriental end to the main room, the dining bit. All came about 10 years ago, or thereabouts when holidaying in Florida. Did the usual touristy trip - Mickey Mouse week 1, swampy bits week 2. It was while we were in Naples in week 2 that it happened. The local Mall had a unit occupied over Easter by a Chinese furniture importer. Easter had just finished and it was half-price sale time (which meant about quarter price when compared to UK prices). I was working in the air cargo market at the time, and as a result could lay my hands on cheap air freight. Result, the wife bought half the shop - well not really, just the following two items:
Attached Images

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 03-21-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Well, two wasn't enough, the tryptich (first picture) was heavy enough, let alone the four-fold screen, but no she had to go back for a third item:

Attached Images

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 03-21-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I know, I know... how can you possible even begin to exist without a Buddha lamp in a corner of the room.

Anyway, it all arrived safely and found it's place in the dining area both of our last house and this one.

I thought that was it - and certainly that after ten years the effect had worn off, but then it happened.

She'd met this little man in this shop near our last place. Every time she called in, he was there - without fail. She couldn't resist him. It seemed that every spare moment she had, she was slipping out to see him. In the end, I gave up. He now lives with us, Not the outcome I had expected - actually, on second thoughts, exactly the outcome I expected!

So judge for yourself. I can't bear to have him here in this entry so he'll have to have his own separate one....

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 03-21-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

So here he is, doesn't talk much, but somehow seems to dominate the place - oh, and just in case you wanted to know, the trampoline arrives Friday - I promise some photos.... without fail...... definitely!

(Do you think I should call the men in white coats....?)
Attached Images

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 03-21-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Cyclefrance--you are hilarious (and, so is your son!)--I'm enjoying the hell out of this! Thanks for sharing!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

[in an inscrutable eastern voice]I'm sure your Feng Shui has benefitted greatly from these appurtanances. The trampoline -- I'm not so sure about. But, with some auspicious location in the garden, all will be kopacetic.[/inscrutability]
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
jojo
is anyone home?

hee hee! obviously, your wife does not have the common plague of mother's everywhere after delivering children, or jumping on a trampoline would require a special "undergarment".
seriously, i think it's great! way to go mom!!
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Did Buddha come with that parasol, or was that a separate find?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Since it takes too long to get an appointment with the National Health Psychiatrist, you should probably just have her taken off the checking account and cancel her credit cards.

The lamp is kind of cool, but I think that the shade that goes with it is rather frightening.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, on the bright side, "The Men Show" seems to have done pretty well for itself with videos of women jumping on trampolines in skimpy clothes.

If the Cellar ever gets a user's video section, please feel free to upload.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The lamp is kind of cool, but I think that the shade that goes with it is rather frightening.
Is it supposed to be the bodhi tree or something?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Sorry, been ignoring all these questions - the shade/parasol was part and parcel of the lamp. The metal circle behind the metal Buddha represents the Bodhi tree - I think it is quite often shown as a circle behind a seated Buddha.

News alert! News alert!
Not a good day in the CF househod - the trampoline was supposed to be delivered yesterday - it never arrived. Appears the driver for the delivery company couldn't find our place. He never thought to phone the wife on the mobile number she had been asked to give precisely for such an eventuality. Wife not approachable right now - maybe in another hour. Finding things to do that involve safe distance without being too obvious (cleaning lawn mower, checking over new bike, nipping into town...)

Four phone calls later. It's now scheduled to arrive Monday evening, and, as we are entering the time of lighter evenings, the prospect of some video footage is well within the realms of probability, but not until I gte back to the UK next weekend (can you hold out that long....??)
Old 03-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Dude. That NEVER woulda happened in America! (mutters) g*ddamn Anglash!(end mutters)

Note: I am the great-great granddaughter of an Irish immigrant, starved out by the Anglash. Much like many of the warriors in BRAVEHEART, so, so...reap the whirlwind, CF! I kid, I kid!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 03-25-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #14
ashke
Don't look at me!

The golden crane screen is very nice though. Maybe you can think of them as conversation pieces...
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #15
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Dude. That NEVER woulda happened in America! (mutters) g*ddamn Anglash!(end mutters)

Note: I am the great-great granddaughter of an Irish immigrant, starved out by the Anglash. Much like many of the warriors in BRAVEHEART, so, so...reap the whirlwind, CF! I kid, I kid!
Not to worry Brianna, I have already had my little counter-dig at the Irish in the Image Association thread - see here and then here